Would You Move For a Job?

• Gary Varga (4/13/2016)

below86 (4/13/2016)

Should I send an email before the deadline and describe my situation and let them know I could have it within a few days after the deadline?

This. Exactly this.

Why? Because if you were reporting to me and you were going to be late on something then I need to know immediately and when it will be resolved. The full answer a couple of days late without forewarning is unacceptable.

Remember everything about the recruitment process is a window on how the other party will be once the engagement begins.

I'd toss a resume the moment I see it based on spelling, formatting, and factual errors, even if it was sitting on the top of the stack and came with a dozen red roses attached.

However, if the resume for a promising candidate is sitting in my Inbox, and we're still in the process of setting up interviews, then of course I'm taking it. Being a couple of days "late" would not count against them, and submitting an apology or explanation for tardyness along with the cover letter wouldn't gain them anything either. That would come across as a bit... quaint. For all I know or care, they could have discovered the job posting the same day it was due to expire. Also, I personally wouldn't judge a candidate simply because the recruiter representing them dropped the ball somehow, not if the candidate presented themselves well. The recruiter is just a hired bounty hunter for talent. For me, what really matters is: Could this candidate potentially be a valuable member of the team?

However, I would count it against them if they were late for the interview or took a few days to return my followup call afterward.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Hi below86,

I've got the information I talked about earlier this week concerning New Horizons. New Horizons Computer Learning Center has a free service for job seekers, especially those in transition, such as you are now. I didn't discover this until late in my time of being in transition (unemployed), but wish that I'd found it much earlier. Its called the New Horizons Workforce Development Career Services Management and it free. You sign up by going to http://www.nhwfd.com and on the right hand side of the page select the login link. That will take you to a page where you establish an account as a student. Then you can participate in weekly video career training courses. I really found this great because I learned things about how to look for a new job, how to much better use LinkedIn and so on. Also, those training courses are things that you attend with others who are also in transition. It was fantastic to be a part of a community of other people going through the same thing. I highly recommend it!

Rod

• Doctor Who 2 (4/16/2016)

Hi below86,

I've got the information I talked about earlier this week concerning New Horizons. New Horizons Computer Learning Center has a free service for job seekers, especially those in transition, such as you are now. I didn't discover this until late in my time of being in transition (unemployed), but wish that I'd found it much earlier. Its called the New Horizons Workforce Development Career Services Management and it free. You sign up by going to http://www.nhwfd.com and on the right hand side of the page select the login link. That will take you to a page where you establish an account as a student. Then you can participate in weekly video career training courses. I really found this great because I learned things about how to look for a new job, how to much better use LinkedIn and so on. Also, those training courses are things that you attend with others who are also in transition. It was fantastic to be a part of a community of other people going through the same thing. I highly recommend it!

Thanks Rod I'll check it out.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• Peter Schott (4/12/2016)

I actually didn't have a problem with recruiters the last time around when I was looking for a job, but I was pretty specific about what I wanted and what I could do. I wasn't bothered too much with things way outside of my desired salary, location, or skillset. I actually got an interview and offer w/ one company that just turned out not to be a good fit culture-wise. Of course, the actual next job came through a friend who knew someone who was looking, but I'll admit that I was tempted by the offer that came through the recruiter. It's not the route for everyone, but they do have their place and some companies only hire through recruiters.

It may be worth using the recruiters to see what's out there. Their job is to get you placed, preferably happily because their job depends on that. If they send you on an interview that's a waste of time, add them to your "do not answer" list and move on. The ones I worked with around DFW were good about sending me the correct job description, salary range, and location first. They probably would have been more helpful if I was willing to drive to the other side of the metroplex to work (where a good portion of the IT jobs are located).

I'm a bit in between in either liking them or hating them.

Most of the recruiters I've worked with talk a big game. They are normally assigned to technical recruiting and potentially one in your vertical such as data professionals if you're lucky. In most of the job interviews I've been on from a technical recruiter has been different from what the recruiter had communicated to some extent. Always ask for the fine details. If the recruiter does not have it, ask them to talk to the employer and find out. It's in both your interest to get this right.

If you do work with a recruiter, make sure you ask about the interview process in detail as well. Ask them about the history of this position such as have they been looking for awhile? Are they picky? Do they have some insane interview process with nonesense questions like how many golf balls fit in a bus or something? Using a recruiter for the intel is actually a good pro to using them if they are right and have good info for you. This is not something you're going to get out a direct hire.

Lastly, beef up your LinkedIn.com profile if you haven't already. I'm religious about mine. Good summary, good work history listings, plenty of info on technologies I've worked with, side projects listed and at least 5 decent recommendations from your peers. If someone is interested enough in you, they will find you and read up. If not, doesn't hurt because LinkedIn.com is free.

• I've got a phone interview set up for next week. Any advice? I have never had to do a phone interview. This is just a phone screening, shouldn't last more than 30 minutes.

I also have a question for those that use Linked In. I have my profile set, but I'm currently only showing my last title and summary of that position. I can break my work experience out for most of the titles I had, with the years. But I don't have a job summary of each of these positions.(I'm not sure if I still have any.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

• below86 (5/13/2016)

I've got a phone interview set up for next week. Any advice? I have never had to do a phone interview. This is just a phone screening, shouldn't last more than 30 minutes.

I also have a question for those that use Linked In. I have my profile set, but I'm currently only showing my last title and summary of that position. I can break my work experience out for most of the titles I had, with the years. But I don't have a job summary of each of these positions.(I'm not sure if I still have any.)

Phone screenings are usually more to get a feel for your knowledge/skills before bringing you in for a face to face. They tend to focus on some straightforward questions, maybe presenting a simple scenario to talk through, possibly try to get a feel for the way you think/solve problems/interact with others. You'll also likely get a "biggest strength/weakness" question just as if you were face to face. It varies by company, but a lot of times, they're trying to make a reasonable decision before wasting everyone's time with a face to face for an unqualified candidate.

Some companies may be interested in how you work remotely or may have some remote desktop/whiteboard options for you to use. They'll usually let you know before the call about that sort of thing so you can be near a computer if needed. That's definitely more rare at this point, but can be helpful.

Edit: Congrats on the phone interview. That's a good first step!

• Is this a phone interview with an HR recruiter type person or a more technical person? Either way your main goal on a phone interview should mostly be to show that you're not a raving insane person and that you weren't lying on your resume. It would also be helpful to do at least some basic research of the company before talking to them, not necessarily stalker level creepy but enough to know the basics so you can ask questions more intelligent than "So your company sells stuff?"

• below86 (5/13/2016)

I've got a phone interview set up for next week. Any advice? I have never had to do a phone interview. This is just a phone screening, shouldn't last more than 30 minutes.

Do well enough and you may get a job offer. I had a phone interview with a company that was supposed to be a simple screening to decide if they wanted to bring me in for a face to face. Next day after the phone interview the agency I was going through called and said they were offering me the position. They had not seen this before.

Company I work with now, all three interviews were phone interviews. Didn't step foot into the office where I work until the day I started working here.

Here is to doing well on the phone interview and that it leads to a face to face.

• Personally, I don't like it when a recruiter or agency wants to make all the arrangements without me having a face to face with the employer. I also don't like it when the new job offer seems too easy. The only two crap IT jobs I've ever had, the type where I know it's a dead end the first day I show up; they both started out that way.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• The person who set it up works in HR of the company I applied to. I'm assuming she will be the one I will be talking to.(I know it is bad to assume anything) We've only been exchanging emails so far, trying to get a time that worked for her. I've got a lot of free time right now. 🙂 I'll study up on the company a little, staying out of the creepy range.

I'm taking this whole process slow so far. I've only sent out my resume to 9 places so far, including the one I will have the phone interview with. No interviews yet, 3 have filled the position without me getting a call. I sent it in knowing I didn't have the Java, C#, or Informatica knowledge they wanted, had almost everything else.

Thanks again.

• You can definitely ask what sort of format will be used for the phone interview or what sort of call it will be. They're usually willing to not surprise you too much. You can even ask what sort of people will be on the call. That can give you some idea of what sort of questions will be asked.

• Eric M Russell (5/13/2016)

Personally, I don't like it when a recruiter or agency wants to make all the arrangements without me having a face to face with the employer. I also don't like it when the new job offer seems too easy. The only two crap IT jobs I've ever had, the type where I know it's a dead end the first day I show up; they both started out that way.

The first was a first for the company I was going through. They have placed quite a few people with that particular company and all had a face to face after the phone screen. The people doing the phone screen were in the Cleveland office, the position I was going to work was in my home town. I sold myself by how I performed in their phone interview, deciding they wanted me after the interview concluded.

The position I am working in now was similar. Everyone I interviewed with was on the East coast, the position was again in my home town. I had three phone interviews over the course of several days. The third and final is when I was offered the position.

The first was a 6 month contract. The one I am at now I have been at for over 4 years.

• My current job had no face to face prior to hire. It was known that they were okay to have a remote worker. We had a couple of Skype meetings, some using a whiteboard to interact and do some modeling (no video). Overall, it went pretty smoothly. My first face to face was on my start date when I had to go to the office to get my equipment and go through training. I head up there every couple of months to maintain a visible presence, but mostly just do my work remotely. It really depends on the scenario, though. I had 3 face to face meetings at one company and was just dropped - no communication at all after that last meeting, not even a "thank you, but we're doing something else". (Still a bit miffed about that.)

First job out of college I was offered the position right after my interview. Next job was mostly e-mail/phone with one face to face and that worked out pretty well. It really will depend on the company.

• below86 (5/13/2016)

If it's the HR person, I'd be ready to answer any questions about things on your resume or LinkedIn profile. Anything is fair game, so be sure you have answers for what's written down. I also have used this time if there are specific things I want to know about. Dress code, hours, things that might make/break the job for me. Better to get this out of the way early, unless you want practice interviewing (always good). In that case, just be conservative, eager, and careful.

For LI, I think you want to make this a CV. Put in detail. Give someone more information to get excited about you as a prospective employee. That's worked for me.

• Eric M Russell (5/13/2016)

Personally, I don't like it when a recruiter or agency wants to make all the arrangements without me having a face to face with the employer. I also don't like it when the new job offer seems too easy. The only two crap IT jobs I've ever had, the type where I know it's a dead end the first day I show up; they both started out that way.

I would never take a job without meeting the company and team I work with. At least some of thee people.

Skype would be fine, or even phone, but not blind.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply