Would You Move For a Job?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/16/2016)

Eric M Russell (5/13/2016)

Personally, I don't like it when a recruiter or agency wants to make all the arrangements without me having a face to face with the employer. I also don't like it when the new job offer seems too easy. The only two crap IT jobs I've ever had, the type where I know it's a dead end the first day I show up; they both started out that way.

I would never take a job without meeting the company and team I work with. At least some of thee people.

Skype would be fine, or even phone, but not blind.

I believe that in many cases (certainly not all but its common enough), employers will leverage 3rd party recruiters to overhype or even obfuscate the details of the job. Of course, the reverse csn also happen as well.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Just a quick update, I got a new job and I've been at it for over 3 weeks now. Things are going good, just need to learn how they do things here compared to my old job. I didn't have to move, but I was running out of options in my area.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• below86 (9/27/2016)

Just a quick update, I got a new job and I've been at it for over 3 weeks now. Things are going good, just need to learn how they do things here compared to my old job. I didn't have to move, but I was running out of options in my area.

Congratulations! Hope it continues to go well for you!

• Nice one below86!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Congratulations!

• Yes, relocating to another city or state is a pain in the arse, and it's expensive, especially if you have to sell a house. I'd consider changing jobs within the same area simply because it's a better career opportunity, but I wouldn't relocate to another city for a job unless it was for more money.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Congratulations, below86!

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• What a difference 4 years makes.  Now people are considering moving to a better location because they can work from home.  They can keep their job and still choose where to live.

• Earlier in my career, I may have considered it; but I wouldn't won't to work where most of one's life is spent commuting. In 1994, I took a temporary contract in Cedar Rapids, IA from mid-April to the first week of November, while my wife and dogs stayed home in South Carolina. I missed a personal deadline when I said that I would be home before it snowed; it snowed the last day of April.

I would fly home during the holiday weekends. I brought my water-skis with me and got the opportunity to ski the Mississippi River up by the Quad Cities and ski the Cedar River. I also got to see Fourth of July fireworks from a boat on Lake Murray, SC and in Cedar Rapids.

• You should all be happy that I have moved for a job instead of going on the dole.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

Viewing 10 posts - 136 through 144 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply