Will SQL Server 2000 run on Win Server 2008 R2?

• Well, now that you mention it, in one of my more recent posts, I said that considering information in someone else's post, we potentially might have to run the old SQL on the new servers if there were compatibility problems with SQL 2008, and therefore the original question still stands -- whether SQL 2000 (and here I'll add the 32 bit version) will run on Win Server 2008 R2.

Anyone actually know?

Will SQL 2000 run on Windows 2008 R2? Maybe.

Is it supported by Microsoft? No.

You would have a hard time getting support from MS if something happened and you needed to call them. From here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/supported-applications.aspx

Microsoft SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 and SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 and later versions are supported. SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2 and SQL Server 2008 Express Runtime RTM are also supported. SQL Server 2008 R2 will be supported in H1 2010.

• Edogg (5/6/2010)

Will SQL 2000 run on Windows 2008 R2? Maybe.

Is it supported by Microsoft? No.

You would have a hard time getting support from MS if something happened and you needed to call them.

Right, which is why my original post said "I know there's quite often a difference between "officially supported" and "it will work" so I'm thinking maybe that exists in this case."

I know the answer to one question but not the other.

And I know "there's always a first time," but so far we haven't ever had to call MS for support in about 10 years of running SQL Server.

• You might consider running your application on SQL Server 2008 with the database compatibility level set to 80 (SQL 2000).

That should prevent problems with code that is not compatible with SQL 2008. You should ask your application vendor if they will support that.

Obviously, you would still want to test it to make sure you don't see any problems.

• Hi,

I hope you have got solution for Your above Problem. Actually we are facing same Problem and we will be thank full to you if you can share it with us.

• sunilmadkar 86235,

Try reading the most recent replies to this thread. They contain good advice.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply