Will SQL Server 2000 run on Win Server 2008 R2?

• Brandie Tarvin (5/4/2010)

He's asking if your SQL 2000 is 64 bit or 32 bit.

I don't know. Haven't been able to find out. We're supposed to download it from MS. But that's what I'm asking: Are they combined in one product, or are they two separate things? (Somehow I thought this would be a very simple question.)

I don't have experience with that version of Windows, but I think I heard that running 32 bit SQL is difficult or impossible at best.

Well in that case it sounds like we need to make sure we install 64 bit. But I can't find any information on the MS site about a 64 bit version. The closest I've come is seeing that SP1 has different downloads for 32 and 64 bits.

• wodom (5/4/2010)

Brandie Tarvin (5/4/2010)

I don't know. Haven't been able to find out. We're supposed to download it from MS.

Ummm. I'm confused.

You can't download SQL 2000 from MS, so far as i know. They quite supporting it ages ago.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

wodom (5/4/2010)

I don't know. Haven't been able to find out. We're supposed to download it from MS.

Ummm. I'm confused.

You can't download SQL 2000 from MS, so far as i know. They quite supporting it ages ago.

Sorry, misread the post. Our SQL 2000 is 32-bit. But now I'm talking about SQL 2008 and trying to find out about its 64-bit version. That should have been clear from the details included in my prior posts.

What would it matter how many bits our old version has anyway? I've also been asking what kinds of differences there might be between 32 and 64 bit versions, with no reply (except for drivers, which relates to Windows, not SQL), so it sounds like the differences must be pretty minor.

• wodom (5/4/2010)

wodom (5/4/2010)

Ummm. I'm confused.

Sorry, misread the post. Our SQL 2000 is 32-bit. But now I'm talking about SQL 2008 and trying to find out about its 64-bit version. That should have been clear from the details included in my prior posts.

What would it matter how many bits our old version has anyway? I've also been asking what kinds of differences there might be between 32 and 64 bit versions, with no reply (except for drivers, which relates to Windows, not SQL), so it sounds like the differences must be pretty minor.

I use what I call 'database drivers' to create connections, which is the Jet one I referred to. The HBA driver was an OS driver.

Minor depends on what you are doing now. If you are importing from Access today for something, you might not say that.

Since we started from scratch on 2005 - not upgrading - I'm not an expert on all the differences.

But there were enough differences - for example DTS vs SSIS, and bigger changes in Analysis Services, upgrade was not an option. We would have had to go back and rebuild to use the new features anyways.

Usually when you download a version, it is either 32 or 64 bit. They do package multiple versions on a sigle DVD though.

Greg E

wodom (5/4/2010)

Ummm. I'm confused.

It is still available on MSDN, as is SQL 6.5. You can download both if you have an MSDN License or some other MS license giving you MSDN.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• wodom (5/4/2010)

It matters because I thought you were still talking about running 2000 on windows 2008 R2 (as per the title of the post) and didn't realize that you'd moved on to discussing SQL 2k8 only.

Sorry 'bout that. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

wodom (5/4/2010)

I thought you were still talking about running 2000 on windows 2008 R2 (as per the title of the post) and didn't realize that you'd moved on to discussing SQL 2k8 only.

Sorry 'bout that. @=)

Well, now that you mention it, in one of my more recent posts, I said that considering information in someone else's post, we potentially might have to run the old SQL on the new servers if there were compatibility problems with SQL 2008, and therefore the original question still stands -- whether SQL 2000 (and here I'll add the 32 bit version) will run on Win Server 2008 R2.

Anyone actually know?

• I just didn't want you to assume too much.

Either way you, will have to test.

I would tend to lean more towards upgrading, but would want to know what it means.

Understanding DTS vs. SSIS (what if you have to modify a DTS package), 32 bit or 64 bit, might be decision points.

We do real simple ETL into a base warehouse. You may have lots of sp's doing things that would break.

Another thing to think about - what would be supported, even if it does work.

My inclination would be to run SQL 2008 x64 bit on W2008 R2 and upgrade what I needed to.

Or if sticking with SQL 2000, stick with an older OS. W2008 as an OS is noticably different from W2003.

Better to really test and understand what you're getting into.

Even the decision to run W2008 R2 - this is a relatively new OS. We put the first 2 up in our company, and that required upgrading antivirus and backup software. We wanted to as we are heavily into the microsoft BI stack, and there are some tweaks to the OS to better handle the load.

Our server admins were interested in finding out what it would mean, and they supported us.

But then again, you company may be completely different.

Greg E

• Greg Edwards-268690 (5/5/2010)

Understanding DTS vs. SSIS (what if you have to modify a DTS package), 32 bit or 64 bit, might be decision points.

I want to pick up on your comments about DTS. We don't use it heavily but we do some. I see we have 11 DTS packages right now, but I think about half are obsolete. They're all fairly simple.

It sounds like you're saying DTS has been replaced by SSIS in the newer versions. My questions are:

1. How much effort is it to upgrade them? Is there an automated upgrade facility?

2. Are you saying there's a difference between 32-bit and 64-bit SSIS?

• DTS packages can be run, but if you ever have to change them, that's where you may be better off building new ones.

There is a learning curve to SSIS - very different from DTS environment.

We were a bit confused at first when we installed - not all db drivers have both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

You might do a search on the site - you should be able to find some posts related to the different platforms.

Also see if you can download and run Upgrade Advisor.

Also look here.

And maybe google this and see if you get hits. I think Dell put it out.

SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 Migration guide.pdf

Greg E

• The learning curve (SSIS) might be less if you use Visual Studio already.

Simple packages are relatively easy.

Be sure to get a grasp of what don't save sensitive means, or the default package security.

This can trip you up on shared packages or others running your package.

Greg E

• >>Most of the actual SQL code is generated & issued by a 3rd party application

So does this 3rd party support 2008?

• wodom (5/5/2010)

It sounds like you're saying DTS has been replaced by SSIS in the newer versions.

That's exactly what he's saying. DTS was completely taken apart and rebuilt from the ground up. There's very little that's the same.

1. How much effort is it to upgrade them? Is there an automated upgrade facility?

You can import a DTS package into SSIS, but in my experience, the import will leave a lot of stubs. Stubs = empty tasks that don't do anything. Stubs will replace ActiveX tasks and a few other items. ActiveX is the big thing though. Also, the import might mess with your connections a bit.

Honestly, rebuilding the package from the ground up is probably the best option. Not only will it force you to learn SSIS, but you can simplify even your simple packages by taking advantage of new functionality in SSIS that wasn't available in DTS.

I'd just like say that the whole Config file (to replace .ini files) is DA BOMB! One of my favorite changes.

• emily-1119612 (5/5/2010)

>>Most of the actual SQL code is generated & issued by a 3rd party application

That's actually a huge issue with using third party vendors. Whether or not they've upgraded their stuff to deal with the software you're looking at.

Emily's right, you need to question this before going any further.

• Brandie Tarvin (5/6/2010)

emily-1119612 (5/5/2010)

>>Most of the actual SQL code is generated & issued by a 3rd party application

That's actually a huge issue with using third party vendors. Whether or not they've upgraded their stuff to deal with the software you're looking at.

Emily's right, you need to question this before going any further.

Of course -- this was the first thing I thought of. We have a call in to them now which they haven't answered yet. (I suspect they don't know the answer.) We'll have to test it, but if 2008 doesn't work with it then we'll just have to downgrade to 2005 -- or, worst case, just keep using 2000 on the new hardware. The new hardware is happening regardless, and about 3/4 of it is already delivered.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply