What's a Toaster?

• I respond to the gentleman that favored WinDiff as the ubiquitous do it right, and do it every time thing. I agree with him save one bothersome lacking. The Open dialog to establish the comparisons of one file to another is just dandy. However, why didn't they apply the same interface convenience to comparing directories / folders. You have to know and type the whole path letter perfect or cut and paste it from some other tool like windows explorer. I never understood that in over 17 years with the tool, why nobody had ever made the short simple programming change. Its a totally finite small number of lines of code that would be altered and totally isolated preventing any possibility of causing any other bug. :unsure:

• salvatore.contino (10/27/2014)

I respond to the gentleman that favored WinDiff as the ubiquitous do it right, and do it every time thing. I agree with him save one bothersome lacking. The Open dialog to establish the comparisons of one file to another is just dandy. However, why didn't they apply the same interface convenience to comparing directories / folders. You have to know and type the whole path letter perfect or cut and paste it from some other tool like windows explorer. I never understood that in over 17 years with the tool, why nobody had ever made the short simple programming change. Its a totally finite small number of lines of code that would be altered and totally isolated preventing any possibility of causing any other bug. :unsure:

If you get tired of jiggling the handle on WinDiff, you can always switch to WinMerge. In addition to code comparions, it also does merging, and it's free.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Maybe its a fear of heights or itchy toes or perhaps, "step on a crack and break your mother's back" paranoia, but I NEVER EVER would trust software to merge code, text or even meatloaf. I would and have used comparison and versioning tools, but if I ever had to shovel the old back into the new or vice a versa, I would always do it methodically line for line, word for word, character for character by hand.

And they say they are crazy, I allow you to view me as loony as a toon, but I still hold on to my right using the 133rd constitutional amendment of the right to merge !

But not unlike using the barrel of an Uzi Machine gun to stir your coffee, if this merge tool does everything that Windiff does and makes toast then count me in. 😎

• salvatore.contino (10/27/2014)

Maybe its a fear of heights or itchy toes or perhaps, "step on a crack and break your mother's back" paranoia, but I NEVER EVER would trust software to merge code, text or even meatloaf.

When merging code, I still manually navigate every modified code block, and review every change. I'm basically replacing one block of highlighted code in the target window with another highlighted block of code in the source window. I tweak WinMerge's color coding so it also identifies what specific words changed within a changed block. I would never just perform an auto-merge, deploy to QA, and trust that it would work.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (10/27/2014)

salvatore.contino (10/27/2014)

Maybe its a fear of heights or itchy toes or perhaps, "step on a crack and break your mother's back" paranoia, but I NEVER EVER would trust software to merge code, text or even meatloaf.

When merging code, I still manually navigate every modified code block, and review every change. I'm basically replacing one block of highlighted code in the target window with another highlighted block of code in the source window. I tweak WinMerge's color coding so it also identifies what specific words changed within a changed block. I would never just perform an auto-merge, deploy to QA, and trust that it would work.

I am with Eric here. I wouldn't trust auto-merge nor would I trust manual merge. A reviewed auto merge is the best of both worlds. Also, in my opinion, changes shouldn't be too sweeping unless it is exceptional circumstances.

...and I wouldn't merge Meatloaf either!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I use PFE for my text editor. I have for many many years (decades perhaps). I don't need Notepad, Notepad ++, or whatever new super duper text editor that comes along. For me, a text editor is a toaster.

• I'm not sure gentlemen. I think we have a UNIX spy using a code word in place of the "vi" editor. Come on we know you just love that little "esc" key so much. You just can't get enough of it. Just kidding. It's all Chocolate and Vanilla ice cream. Heck for years and years, I used a real cool editor called brief by a company called Underware. Bad pun but true. I can recall thinking, why would I ever use anything else on earth. To be honest, I probably would still be using it if the dang thing didn't keep up with the times and go full on windows. It was even big enough that it was one of the editor choices in the preferences for visual studio. Man, I had written 100s and 100s and 100s of lines of macro code that really sped up my programming day. No fluff. Just the real stuff. I had written so many macros that did so many things that intellisence does now. I guess, that would be my toaster.

• SnagIt...I love to use this to capture screen shots, especially when I need to mark them up for clarification or to draw attention to something particular.

http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html?gclid=CI_Ets7Q0sECFfJzMgodLmoApg

• Alcohol 120% for mounting ISO images.

TrueCrypt for encrypting private files.

Also 7-zip is way better than WinZip. Anyone who disagrees probably hasn't tried out 7-zip!

• BTW WinZip is now on version 19;-)

• Notepad++ and WinMerge.

And I see that Notepad++ was mentioned 8 years ago, so that's gotta give it good toaster creds.

• Eight years ago I said

Word, Excel Visio, Outlook and lately Notepad++, which is brilliant and handles larger text files than MS products, although I had to think about that one the other day when I did an update and lost my ftp facility. Oh and WinDiff for comparing scripted databases, stored procs and tables.

I'd still say mostly the same today apart from WinDiff which has been replaced in my toolkit by WinMerge and Visio to which I no longer have access (job change, removal of the database linkage tools and I'm too stingy to buy it when I can use the online draw.io or OneNote).
    OneNote has gone right up up to the top my list since it works synchronously on all my devices, I use it every day and I collect loads of items from the internet directly to it - I have different notebooks for different topics whether it is for learning German, recipes, SQL Server topics, WordPress, data for my web sites, general notes or shared with OH notes. Even my shopping list and the packing list for the camper is on OneNote as I can add something on my laptop or desktop and tick it off on my phone.

• Notepad.
    Use it all the time.

• I use Expresso from Ultrapico when I'm developing a regular expression (It's free; it requires email registration to receive a code for use beyond 60 days).
    When I had Windows XP, WinZip was a useful utility. I haven't had to access any RAR or tar.gz files recently. With Windows 7 and 10, I had forgotten about WinZip.

• IrfanView for viewing images, I have installed it on every PC I can remember using

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The more you know, the more you know that you dont know

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply