I am probably the "odd duck" in the group, but I don't find any software is "just a toaster".
For years, I just used notepad because it was pre-installed and I didn't need anything more fancy. Then I discovered notepad++.
If your software is "just a toaster", you will never know of all the better toasters out there.
For example, if you have a 1 slice toaster and have had that for years, you would be used to having toasted tomato sandwiches with 1 slice being cold. Then you hear about 2 slice toasters that all of your friends have. So you pick one up and it is so much better than the 1 slice toaster. Then you hear about 2 slice "wide" (for a bagel or texas toast) and you HAVE to have that because your texas toast keeps jamming your current toaster.
Then there is the 8 slice toaster. You grab it because, if 2 is 100% better than 1, an 8 slice should be 400% better than 2... until you discover it isn't. You only cook 2 slices at a time 80% of the time and 4 (when you are very hungry) the other 20% of the time and you have never needed to cook 8 at a time. BUT if you are running a restaurant, an 8 slice toaster might not even be big enough for you depending on how much breakfast you sell.
Saying that all "zip" based tools are just toasters is like saying "my hammer can fix all problems". That isn't to say that winzip isn't a good program or that it is bad that you bought it. There is very rarely 1 tool that suits everyones needs. If winzip fits your requirements, I see nothing wrong with buying it. But if winzip is the 1 slice toaster and you bought it because it was all you had ever used and all you had ever needed, you may have made a mistake.
The same applies to almost all other software as well - the OS, the offfice suite, the IDE's, etc. The same applies to hardware as well, but not as much anymore. For example, you may need a laptop for what you do, while I may prefer a desktop. You may prefer to buy a pre-built system while I may prefer to build it myself. You may prefer intel while I prefer AMD. For the most part, hardware is about preference, but if you are doing sound processing (mixing and mastering) and trying to do that with onboard sound and a cheap CPU/GPU you are going to be grumpy. You need to have the right tools for the job.
The exception to that is when the company dictates what you can and cannot use. where I work, we are a 90% Windows, 9% Linux, 1% MAC shop. Working in the technical part of the company, I need to have some experience on every system I support (I don't support the MAC machines). So I have a windows desktop and a few linux VMs. This allows me to keep up on both systems well enough to support everyone I need to.
TL;DR - use the right tool for the job. Getting good quality tools for the job is important, but too many features can make the cost vs benefit not worth it. There is rarely a case where it is "just a toaster".
The above is all just my opinion on what you should do.
As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it. Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.