What Were Your 2021 Wins

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item What Were Your 2021 Wins

• Work-wise, 2021 was a big win for me. I changed jobs from being an everything DBA & developer at a medium sized company to being a production DBA in a much bigger environment. I love my new job in spite of the stress of learning how a new company works. I came into the job with no handover so had to learn a lot on my own. I've learned SO much in the past few months, more than I did (about SQL Server) in the past few years at my old job. And this year we have a cloud deployment so I have even more to learn!

And even though my personal life had lots of struggles -- my husband of 20 years left and now I'm almost divorced -- I've come through the worst of the pain and I'm really looking forward to the changes ahead.

• My wins for 2021 were outside of my job, doing personal improvements on my own. I've updated my skills to use current abilities to write APIs and ASP.NET Core MVC apps. I really enjoyed learning current skills and more fun!

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Connie wrote:

Work-wise, 2021 was a big win for me. I changed jobs from being an everything DBA & developer at a medium sized company to being a production DBA in a much bigger environment. I love my new job in spite of the stress of learning how a new company works. I came into the job with no handover so had to learn a lot on my own. I've learned SO much in the past few months, more than I did (about SQL Server) in the past few years at my old job. And this year we have a cloud deployment so I have even more to learn!

And even though my personal life had lots of struggles -- my husband of 20 years left and now I'm almost divorced -- I've come through the worst of the pain and I'm really looking forward to the changes ahead.

WOO-HOO!!!  Congratulations on the job related accomplishments, Connie!  Way to go!

And having survived a really heartbreaking one myself, congratulations on surviving the other thing, as well.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I quit smoking on the 29th of April, 2021 at 5:ooPM and haven't had a puff since.  Having done such a thing a couple of times in my life for over a year in several cases, I also know that I always have to be "on guard" because, as I learned in the past, I'm just a puff away from a pack a day!

I also figured out how to beat my AFIB in an experiment that I've repeated a couple of times.  The cardiologists all think I'm nuts and, while that may be true, I'm now an AFIB free nut! 😀

On the professional side, I've destroyed the more than 2 decades old myth of Random GUID fragmentation and laid waste to the equally old myth of "Best Practice" index maintenance and started presenting-in-earnest on both and the ramifications as to how they apply to other types of indexes in 2021.  I had started on the basis for all of this in November of 2017 and had done some other presentations on the subjects but it all really came to a head in 2021.

If you're interested in the "Short Version", please see the following 'tube.  And, yeah... there's more to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvZwMNJxqVo

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I gave my first ever conference talk at New Stars of Data. That's a pretty huge win for me, and helps to balance out that I didn't manage to do an awful lot else in terms of advancing my career in 2021 (I did change jobs but that was more of a sideways move prompted by some personal stuff that was going on).

• Haven't been around here for a while - changes in my work responsibilities and then two years of not working (I thought I had early retirement put upon me) meant that I didn't have the need.

That is until the week before Christmas when I interviewed for a job and was offered it the next day. Been back in work a whole week 😃 and realise that I've forgotten so much.

@jeff - well done on the smoking - I still use nicotine lozenges from time to time, but 10 years since my last tobacco use.

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply