What kind of DBA are you?

• Select YouGotAPrettyMouth

from SquealLikeAPig

Where Mouth like '%pretty%'

That is the SEQUEL to Deliverance... bad pun...

• ummm, that one makes me a little uncomfortable...

1 vote for SEQUEL.

• I say Sequel. Although my first summer job as a student, I thought "Sequel Server" was a totally new system I'd have to learn, not the SQL Server that I'd been taught at school.

I was also taught to call a row a 'tuple', which I can safely say I never use anymore.

• Haven't heard or said tuple in ages...probably from my school days, long, long ago! It's a funny sounding word actually. I asked my 13 year-old if she had ever heard it before and she giggled and thought I had made it up! Knowing kids now adays, it's probably slang for some body part or bodily function........like "Oh Dude, gross, you TUPLED" 😀

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Seeeeeeeeeequellllllllllllll

For me

• depends on who I talk too if I talk to a technical person I would say sequel, to a person who knows nothing I say ms-sql or sybase sql or so on.

T

• SEQUEL

• Hi to all

As far as I remember I always pronounced the letters sequentially S-Q-L server as opposed to Sequel. I'd rather not use the Sequel because it sounds like we are always waiting for the next episode in a long winded soap 🙂

Sorry Microsoft guys - I could not resist...

Plan - Evaluate - Organize - Summarize.

• SQL, Sequel, nah ...

I call it "SQUEAL"

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Talking mostly german at work, I am used to say think and write S-Q-L.

SEQUEL sounds too funny and they might think its a word I made up unless I pronounce it the english way 😉

I once tried to switch to SEQUEL but after a few times of "...SEQUEL - what?! S-Q-L - ahhhh that... " I just gave up.

Maybe MS should come up with a new name for it alltogether? But not another acronym please! LOL

• Definitely SEQUEL!!!

Here in Italy you would have to say "Esse Qu Elle"!!!!! Toooooo Long!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Mike Menser (4/4/2008)

I was reading a database magazine this morning and it had an interesting question. They were going to take a poll to see which group of DBA's were greater in numbers. I thought we could see what kind of DBA's we have here on SSC!

The question is... when speaking about Microsoft SQL, do you say the letters (Ess Cue Elle) or do you sound it out (Sequel)?

Honestly I thought everyone said 'Sequel' until I had my support call with MS the other day and tech kept saying the letters... it kind of annoyed me actually. How many MORE of you are there!?!?

It depends... I usually say 'Microsoft Ess-Que-El Server 2005" when referring to "the machine"; but Sequel when referring to the language/code I write in ,,, if that makes sense...

• Coyote Blue (8/7/2008)

Mike Menser (4/4/2008)

I was reading a database magazine this morning and it had an interesting question. They were going to take a poll to see which group of DBA's were greater in numbers. I thought we could see what kind of DBA's we have here on SSC!

The question is... when speaking about Microsoft SQL, do you say the letters (Ess Cue Elle) or do you sound it out (Sequel)?

Honestly I thought everyone said 'Sequel' until I had my support call with MS the other day and tech kept saying the letters... it kind of annoyed me actually. How many MORE of you are there!?!?

It depends... I usually say 'Microsoft Ess-Que-El Server 2005" when referring to "the machine"; but Sequel when referring to the language/code I write in ,,, if that makes sense...

Wonderful! I do exactly the opposite!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Well, most of the people here in Pakistan pronounce it as S Q L (each alphabet separate). 'Sequel' is also used, even I use this word for SQL but most of the people get wacky expression on their faces on hearing this word (my own personal experience).

Atif Sheikh

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

Viewing 14 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply