What kind of DBA are you?

• I pronounce it the same as I would for a really bad movie that comes out after a really good one.

My boss keeps talking about one day brushing up on his Prequel skills, since he figures he should learn it in the right order. 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Mike Menser (4/4/2008)

Well, I made it known in the original post, that the SEQUEL way is the only way for me. Sorry. But to know that hall of famer Grant is also a SEQUEL'r will allow me to sleep a little easier tonite. Knowing that hall of famer Matt Miller.. well... 'goes both ways' when it comes to SEQUEL does make me a little uneasy...

If by uneasy, you mean "slightly sick to your stomach" - I don't blame ya... Putting it that way makes it sound like TMI, and a visual like that which would be hard to take....:D:hehe:

And - as to the "Hall of Fame" designation, let's just say I'm happy it's based on quantity alone, and not quality....:) Of course - you get what you pay for, and whatever that happens to be from me - you get a LOT of it....:Whistling:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Sequel for me too...sounds funny when I hear people say 'S-Q-L Server'.

In my experience it has been non-users that say it spelled out. Now you go and tell me that Microsoft prefers it spelled out...all the more reason to say 'Sequel' just to give them a hard time. 😛

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!;)

• Trader Sam (4/4/2008)

Sequel for me too...sounds funny when I hear people say 'S-Q-L Server'.

In my experience it has been non-users that say it spelled out. Now you go and tell me that Microsoft prefers it spelled out...all the more reason to say 'Sequel' just to give them a hard time. 😛

They may or may not prefer to say it letter-by-letter, they're kind of required to by the fact that Sequel was an IBM trademark (might still be one, but I'm pretty sure it's lapsed). Just like most companies can't call their "round plastic flying discs" "frisbees".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Just cuz you cant, doesnt mean you dont. 😛 😀 ;):hehe:

• GSquared (4/4/2008)

They may or may not prefer to say it letter-by-letter, they're kind of required to by the fact that Sequel was an IBM trademark (might still be one, but I'm pretty sure it's lapsed).

I figured after all these years it had become industry standard (informal) to pronounce SQL as 'sequel'. Just like in Oracle...we always say 'pee ell sequel' for PL/SQL. Funny how we spell out part, and make a word out of the rest. I guess 'cause 'plasequel' would be too strange.

Its interesting to find out the origin of terms like this though. 🙂

• Here are some interesting links...more stuff on SQL than you ever wanted to know.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Miscellaneous/abriefhistoryofsql/1125/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL

This was quoted from wiki, but also on the other link.

The acronym SEQUEL was later changed to SQL because "SEQUEL"

was a trademark of the UK-based Hawker Siddeley aircraft company.

I didn't know that!

• I always use sequel just because it's easier for me to say it that way

• Guess I'm the oddity...

I say "S-Q-L" Server because my original SQL Mentor would smack me in the head if I said "SeQueL".

I also say "Column", not "Field".

I also say "Row", not "Record".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I am old school: I always say "Sequel", though am I so comfortable with hearing it either way that I can rarely remember which way a specific person says it.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Heh... funny thing is, I'm "old school" as well and I always say "S-Q-L" instead of "sequal".

As you said, doesn't matter how I hear it.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• No I don't mean Nouveau "Old School", I mean real Old School. I was already a professional programmer when IBM's Sequel was developed. I programmed for many years on the predecessor to Relational databases, called CODASYL databases (may they burn in heck).

Everyone I know from those days still calls it "Sequel".

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Heh... and I thought I was old... 😉

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Heh, you should meet my Uncle. He taught me to program when I was 13, but he learned computers as an electronics instructor for the Army Air Force when he was assigned to the Eniac project where he worked for the likes of Grace Hopper and John Von Neuman.

[/font]

• Heh... I handed Babbage gears 😉

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply