What kind of DBA are you?

• I was reading a database magazine this morning and it had an interesting question. They were going to take a poll to see which group of DBA's were greater in numbers. I thought we could see what kind of DBA's we have here on SSC!

The question is... when speaking about Microsoft SQL, do you say the letters (Ess Cue Elle) or do you sound it out (Sequel)?

Honestly I thought everyone said 'Sequel' until I had my support call with MS the other day and tech kept saying the letters... it kind of annoyed me actually. How many MORE of you are there!?!?

• Mike Menser (4/4/2008)

I was reading a database magazine this morning and it had an interesting question. They were going to take a poll to see which group of DBA's were greater in numbers. I thought we could see what kind of DBA's we have here on SSC!

The question is... when speaking about Microsoft SQL, do you say the letters (Ess Cue Elle) or do you sound it out (Sequel)?

Honestly I thought everyone said 'Sequel' until I had my support call with MS the other day and tech kept saying the letters... it kind of annoyed me actually. How many MORE of you are there!?!?

Being a "Jack of All Trades" in everything else, I must admit to using both.... Microsoft definitely prefers that we not use the IBM-centric pronunciation (Sequel), but its does roll off the tongue a little faster that the alternative.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I usually say Sequel, fewer syllables, thus more effiient and we all know performance is important:P

• When it comes to SQL Server I use sequel (just to join the herd). When it comes either to the standard or another database management system, then S-Q-L. I think sequel is "obsolete" :). Sequel was the name for the first version of SQL when it stood for "Structured English QUEry Language".

also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• Based on it's history, 'Sequel' is kinda archaic, but so many people still say it. I am just polling to see how many SSC'rs say it.

• I use 'sequel' on the odd occasions that I have talk to non-technical types. Throwing TLA's at them doesn't seem to go down well; confusion, apparently, doesn't rule?!?!

Otherwise it's the inefficient 3 syllables of Ess Cue Ell for me.... :w00t:

Ade

A Freudian Slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
    For detail-enriched answers, ask detail-enriched questions...[/url]

• Now I counted doubles for some, but as it stands, SEQUEL is in the lead (as it should be) 4 - 3.

• Well, let's push it along a bit.

SEQUEL Server 2008 is nifty!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I'm ususally a sequel user, but if I'm dealing with someone that might not be a DB type person, I might say S-Q-L so they don't think I'm talking about a remake of something.

• Grant Fritchey (4/4/2008)

Well, let's push it along a bit.

.. ahhh, but not as nifty as the SQL version!!! :D:hehe:

Ade

A Freudian Slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
    For detail-enriched answers, ask detail-enriched questions...[/url]

• Adrian Nichols (4/4/2008)

Grant Fritchey (4/4/2008)

Well, let's push it along a bit.

.. ahhh, but not as nifty as the SQL version!!! :D:hehe:

you are right... it is NIFTIER!

• But wait, does "niftier" mean you're a sequeler or one of them thar ess cue ell 'ers?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Well, I made it known in the original post, that the SEQUEL way is the only way for me. Sorry. But to know that hall of famer Grant is also a SEQUEL'r will allow me to sleep a little easier tonite. Knowing that hall of famer Matt Miller.. well... 'goes both ways' when it comes to SEQUEL does make me a little uneasy...

• Oopps. My bad.

ps: I'm just Committed (commitable, committing, whatever) not a HallofFamer.

😛

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• As many points as you have, you SHOULD be committed! Jeeeez.... 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply