What is ChatGPT – Is it the rise of the Skynet era?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item What is ChatGPT – Is it the rise of the Skynet era?

• --Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• If only it would work.

It always generates this error  2023-02-13 07_42_01-New chat

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• You get that SkyNet is fiction, right?

That being said, I've found ChatGPT to be entertaining, but hardly a threat of any sort.

• Great article, thanks. But I wonder what happens what it get access to the internet and why it’s been cut off so “intentionally”.. and as we all well know mistakes do happen…

• mpaliev wrote:

But I wonder what happens what it get access to the internet ...

Probably the same thing as what has happened to humans (which I already have some good proof of)... it'll come up with incorrect answers because it will make poor decisions on what may or may not be true and produce confident language in its explanation, just like humans do, to justify its findings... even though it just produced an incorrect answers.

I asked ChatGPT how to write T-SQL to count from 1 to a million.  After several frustrating answers that used recursive CTEs and a couple of other things, I asked it the following question and you can see the answer it gives.  Notice the answer and then notice that I very specifically asked how to do it without using a recursive CTE.  I'm still working on my first cup of coffee this morning but I'm pretty sure that's a recursive CTE in the answer.

Then I asked it the following question... it's not like Itzik Ben-Gan started programming after 2021... and I've never seen Itzik use the word "Tally" in any of his code.

I you look at the wording in the text part of the answer, you can see that if falls into the category of "Absolute Bullshit Grinder"   To use someone else's (ZZartin gets the credit there) phrase, it's "Confidently Incorrect", just like many humans and it's seems even "better" than humans at that.

As for SkyNet being fiction, it is right now.  You've gotta remember how SkyNet got started in that movie.  The actual events are fictional... the possibility is not.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• It is not smart enough yet, but compared with Cortana, Siri, and Alexa, this is by far the smartest robot.

I am really surprised about the progress.

• Daniel Calbimonte wrote:

It is not smart enough yet, but compared with Cortana, Siri, and Alexa, this is by far the smartest robot.

While I agree with that, the comparison that just came to mind there is that we're comparing a lying idiot to a moron a couple of moroffs. 😀

To be sure, Daniel, none of this is directed at you.  You wrote a good article and I thank you for your time.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Here is my attempt:

n1

n2

That worked and is reasonably efficient.

• "This is weird. They disabled its browsing capacity. At last, I found some limitations. It looks like the creators added some limits to ChatGPT...Yeah, I found some limitations. ChatGPT is not as smart as I thought."

Interesting article but this was well publicised so shouldn't come as a huge shock. It was trained on data from up until 2021 and is at the 'research preview' stage!

• Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

Here is my attempt:

...{snip}...

That worked and is reasonably efficient.

One of my other issues with these 'bots is that they don't provide many choices.  When I ask a question in one of the search engines, even for things other than code, I get more than one answer to choose from and those articles and posts I can choose from typically have more than one example.

I'm not a "writer" nor an "artist" but I suspect professional writers and graph designers would have similar issues with these 'bots.  And it's not because they might feel threatened by what the 'bot churned out.  Rather, it would be more like my previously unspoken reaction of "Really??? It supposedly has massive knowledge up to 2021 and that's the best it can do on such a simple problem"?  Especially the crap answers that it gave me early on.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Heh... not exactly SkyNet yet but, first drones and now this...  and, guess what?  It doesn't have to eat or pee. 😀

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/an-ai-agent-flew-a-usaf-training-aircraft-for-over-17-hours-185930689.html

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Good grief.  It just keeps getting worse.  Even 99.9% logical fragmentation has absolutely no effect on index SEEKs but ChatGPT would have you believe the opposite is true

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply