What Do You Want to Learn?

• arnipetursson (11/8/2013)

A talk about how to determine the right tool for the job.

Very cool. I'll start with a bit of a play on words. "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." 😛

What we often see is that features can get overused because they make the coding easy (e.g. table variables, CTEs) but they may have unforseen consequences.

What are some newer examples of this kind of thing?

POWERSHELL.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Our budget at work is very tight. No money for any conferences nor any training. The possibilities of lay offs are very real. Last year we had our first SQL Saturday; the only training I'll get this year is another SQL Saturday, if we have one, plus what I can learn online.

Rod

• Jeff Moden (11/9/2013)

arnipetursson (11/8/2013)

Very cool. I'll start with a bit of a play on words. "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." 😛

Very similar to my mantra (different meaning of course): "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean it's a good idea!"

I have to disagree with you on Powershell though.

Because of issues with SCOM, I created a whole suite of powershell scripts for my monitoring and admin needs.

Allowed me to have a single set of scripts that I run from one place, and all I have to do when i set up a new server is add it to my server list tables and set up the login that runs the scripts.

Now I am even monitoring AWS MySQL instances with my scripts.

This is very similar to what i used to do with shell and perl in my previous life as a Sybase DBA.

The one gotcha I have come across with powershell is memory issues, particularly related with how it reads files.

• arnipetursson (11/11/2013)

Jeff Moden (11/9/2013)

arnipetursson (11/8/2013)

Very similar to my mantra (different meaning of course): "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean it's a good idea!"

I have to disagree with you on Powershell though.

Because of issues with SCOM, I created a whole suite of powershell scripts for my monitoring and admin needs.

Allowed me to have a single set of scripts that I run from one place, and all I have to do when i set up a new server is add it to my server list tables and set up the login that runs the scripts.

Now I am even monitoring AWS MySQL instances with my scripts.

This is very similar to what i used to do with shell and perl in my previous life as a Sybase DBA.

The one gotcha I have come across with powershell is memory issues, particularly related with how it reads files.

I'm not suggesting that Powershell is a bad thing. Even I use it.

My response was because someone asked if something else had been abused like Recursive CTEs, Cursors, CLR, etc and the answer is "Yes"... like any shiney new object in SQL Server, Powershell has been seriously abused/misused. Most of the people that are doing the abusing seem to be those who know how to program and not much about SQL Server. There are a couple that do know SQL Server quite well but insist on doing simple things using Powershell just because they can.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• How to deal with Entity Framework (and the like) as a DBA. Performance fixing especially.

• One of the areas I have been exploring is Sharepoint integration and SQL Server. Sharepoint is here to stay, and the quicker you get up to speed on it the better prepared you will be as a DBA.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• I'd like to learn more about SSIS.

I've gone through the tutorials, but they just barely get you started.

Most of my learning has been trial and error, with lots of trials and lots of errors.

A couple specific things I'd like to know more about

- Best practices for logging

- How best to integrate with TFS

- Understanding the output when you run the package directly.

If anyone has suggestions on books or on-line sources that have helped them, I'd appreciate it.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply