What do you do or think about on the way to work?

• I'm one of those who take mass transit to work. I start with a bus and then transfer to a train. In the morning on the bus I'll start by reading the Bible on my phone, then when I'm done with that I'll listen to a podcast. Once I get to the train I try to get a small table on the "quiet car". If I'm successful I'll pull out my laptop and watch a Pluralsight or Microsoft Virtual Academy (MVA) training video. Often however I'm too tired to concentrate, so I'll sleep. (Its a long train ride away.) I envy you Ben, having the luxury to leave at 6 AM. I'm long gone by then.

In the afternoon I'll again try to get a small table so I can watch those Pluralsight/MVA training videos. And this time I'm awake the whole time. Switching to the bus I'll engage in some small talk with other passengers.

I've said it before, I hate the commute. However, long before I took the job I knew it would be miserable and I keenly felt the loss of time, so I decided I needed to get some training in during the longest part which is my train ride. The train has Wi-Fi but its useless. I've thought about those Mi-Fi (is that what they're called?), but am not sure I could afford it. And what's worse is there are long stretches along the train route where there's no cell phone coverage at all, so why bother with cell phone Internet connection when it isn't available? For that reason I use both Microsoft Virtual Academy training videos (free and downloadable) and Pluralsight. I pay extra to Pluralsight to be able to download the training videos, but I consider it worth it. I watch them on my laptop. Between the two I've watched training on SSIS, improving SQL queries using CTE's, MVVM, MVC, C#, and various software designing patterns. If you're stuck in a long commute on a bus or train like I am, U highly recommend using both Microsoft Virtual Academy and Pluralsight subscription with downloadable capabilities. The Pluralsight subscription is pricy, but if you're like me and don't have reliable cell phone coverage, you take what you can get.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• robert.sterbal 56890 (10/11/2016)

I rode my bike 5 miles each way to high school, walking on the occasional snowy days.

Same here but it was just over 3 miles which meant no free bus ticket. In my final school years I got a part-time job and a sports moped (Honda SS50 although the Yamaha FS1E is better remembered.

Have commuted by bike, motorcycle, car, train and combination thereof. Initially I did a lot of work on the train but after a couple of years I realised I got no thanks for it and read instead. On a motorcycle never really thought about work as you needed to keep your wits about you as for some reason you seem invisible to many car drivers. Mind you these days some playing with their phones, etc. don't see you in a large Jaguar

• manie (10/9/2016)

Nowadays I only work 5 km from work and it takes me no more than 10 minutes to get to work. Being a person who battles with depression, I need to constantly work on staying positive so I try to have positive thoughts on my way to work or whenever I travel. I used to spend at least 2 hours per day driving to and from work and then I had lots of time to think. Sometimes I think about complex coding that I am battling with and would come up with the solution on the way to work. I also like to pray (talk to the Lord) while I drive.

Let me share a funny experience I had on my way home one afternoon. I like driving with my window open since I am not very partial to air conditioners. My radio was on and there was this guy talking on the radio about how good laughter is for a person. He says even if you do not feel like laughing then fake it and eventually you will actually laugh. So, with my window wide open I started fake laughing. Next moment a car come past me and everybody look at me and laugh. At first I felt embarrassed but then I started laughing as well and actually felt good that I also got someone else laughing. Very good for depression and all the stress of the day gone, I got home in a good mood!!! :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

When I moved from a town to a city, I found myself getting really stressed when I would drive. So, I would force myself to fake smile. When I saw myself in the mirror, I'd start laughing because it was such a sickly smile; by that time, then I was genuinely smiling.

• I work from home, so my 'commute' is from one room to another. On the way, I'm mostly thinking about coffee or tea.

• I live and work in Central London, so I'm very lucky to have a short commute. Fortunately people in London don't engage others in small talk on public transport. I would hate that.

• Beatrix Kiddo (10/12/2016)

I live and work in Central London, so I'm very lucky to have a short commute. Fortunately people in London don't engage others in small talk on public transport. I would hate that.

Not an adopter of the "Tube chat?" badge then? 😀

• 😀 No! Whoever invented that clearly isn't from around these parts.

• Have you _ever_ had a chat on the train and, at the conclusion, said 'Nice chatting with you' ?

Is it completely silent? Going both to and from London?

• Marcia J (10/11/2016)

I work from home, so my 'commute' is from one room to another. On the way, I'm mostly thinking about coffee or tea.

Oh, I miss those days when my biggest hazard on the commute was tripping over the dog... Now I have to leave the house. It's not good.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Graham.DBA (10/12/2016)

Have you _ever_ had a chat on the train and, at the conclusion, said 'Nice chatting with you' ?

It's very quiet/silent during the commute (am/pm). It can get boisterous and chatty at the end of an evening when everyone's been at the pub for a few hours 🙂

I really don't like it when people try to talk to me on public transport so in a way those badges are a good thing because if I ever see someone wearing one I'll know to head to the other end of the carriage 😛

• Rod at work (10/11/2016)

... and Pluralsight subscription with downloadable capabilities. The Pluralsight subscription is pricy, but if you're like me and don't have reliable cell phone coverage, you take what you can get.

Pluralsight recently changed their subscriptions, doing away with the higher-priced option. There's only one price now (previously the lower one) with all the features that previously the more expensive one had (offline viewing, assessments, demo files, etc)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • funbi (10/12/2016)

I really don't like it when people try to talk to me on public transport so in a way those badges are a good thing because if I ever see someone wearing one I'll know to head to the other end of the carriage 😛

High five.

• Graham.DBA (10/12/2016)

Have you _ever_ had a chat on the train and, at the conclusion, said 'Nice chatting with you' ?

A while ago, when my other half first moved down to London (from the NW), he got on the only 'direct' train in the morning, composed of the old 'slam-door' stock composed of little 12-person compartments with no corridor (so you couldn't move between them once the train was in motion), which was invariably crowded. And, he would strike up conversations and chat to the other commuters. After a couple of months, he found that he would have a compartment all to himself in the mornings... no one ever said anything, they just wouldn't sit near him in case he talked to them! so in short, Yes, it is silent, no one normally talks to anyone else!

• GilaMonster (10/12/2016)

Rod at work (10/11/2016)

... and Pluralsight subscription with downloadable capabilities. The Pluralsight subscription is pricy, but if you're like me and don't have reliable cell phone coverage, you take what you can get.

Pluralsight recently changed their subscriptions, doing away with the higher-priced option. There's only one price now (previously the lower one) with all the features that previously the more expensive one had (offline viewing, assessments, demo files, etc)

That is very good news! Thank you for sharing it!

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• 45 minute commute depending on traffic. Podcasts has become a lifesaver as I can only listen to music so long. NPR Planet Money is one of my favorites hands down.

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply