What Do You Dislike?

• External tools also don't work the same in sql2k5.  We manage 100+ sql server environments, so using the [SRV] parameter in sql2k EM external tools is handy for executing explorer, server manager & event viewers on the server that's current on EM.  Even though sql2005 books online says it works the same, it doesn't work in management studio.

Polling is controllable in sql 2k enterprise manager, but no control in sql2k5 management studio.  With several DBAs having management studio open with 100+ servers registered = a lot of clutter in security event logs, unneccessary network traffic & overhead on workstations.

• (Here it comes Jamie)

What is that glob of meaningless garbage that is supposed be the "Progress" of an SSIS task? In DTS it was simple - task name, success or fail, start time, end time, duration. Sometimes tasks didn't progress in a top to bottom fashion, depending on precedence constraints, but that was what you'd expect.

In SSIS, there's some huge hierarchical list box that's FILLED with meaningless junk like pre- and post-validation, for every container and transform in the task. They fill in various places and it makes no sense. I literally cannot figure out which tasks are done or not unless I look at the green/red/yellow status on the Control Flow surface. But this of course doesn't tell you how long something took.

Logging provides a flood of the same info as well. I just want a high-level look at how long tasks (not containers) take to execute.

• fyi, before too much complaining:

http://www.kbalertz.com/Feedback_913090.aspx

After that, send the complaints to MS.

• management studio is awful. It looks like the developers designed the screen to look like the .net development world.  It is slow and confusing, sorry,they missed the ball badly.  They also completely dropped the ball with being late with mirroring (and it only mirrors to one server) and not making log shipping's new setup similar to 2000 version.  Next time let the dba's design the screens not the developers.

• I too don't like the bloat factor.  Most often I just need a query window.  I like GUI for this as I do a lot of ad hoc stuff and kinda build my query as I go, and while it's nice to be able to look up column names and such, I can give that up.  What I definitely don't need is all the project stuff.  I like that it's available and it shouldn't go away, but a lightweight tool would make a nice addition. 

• As Steve mentions we're starting work on the next release of SQL Server, although it's not code named Nirvana. Several SQL blogs divulge the code name so I won't include it here. The other thing we're starting to scope is SP2 for SQL2K5. The next couple of weeks is a great time for you to go out to the Product Feedback Center (I know how much Steve loves this) and submit or vote on your "favorite" bugs. Here's the link to the center: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/Default.aspx. I can't guarantee that all of your feedback will be incorporated into SP2 but if you don't provide it I can guarantee it won't.

Cheers,

Dan

Lead PM

SQL Server Manageability Team

• Dan,

By and large I'm a supporter of the Feedback Centre but if you don't give us feedback on what we submit then its little better than SQLWish.

As I said here: http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson/archive/2006/03/10/3055.aspx

-Jamie

• Hi all,

I do like to work in 'Visual' Notepad same as Steve but I am OK with the new Visual Studio look of Management Studio. Now less people will think that SQL Server administration is obvious and they don't need training.

What I did not like today was 2 containers named Security. One under Logins for the server level and one per database under the database objects for the database level. A person I was helping over the phone had to find a correct one.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the comments. I want to assure you that I'm feeding all of this feedback to the right people. I totally understand your frustration and I'm working on your behalf as an internal advocate to make things better. Realize that the product feedback center is new for us as well and we're trying to figure out how to utilize it. Also, remember that there are only a few hundred of us and thousands of you - this isn't an excuse, but rather data that should feed the solution equation. I do believe that we're moving in the right direction; creating stronger communication channels between end-users and us as well as creating more transparency with the CTP model. Also, the feedback center is hooked up to our bug database so every bug entered into the feedback center automatically is filed in our system and someone looks at it. We're working on educating people so they know how to respond to customer submitted items in a meaning way.

Don't loose the faith.

Dan

• I agree with all you guys, plus - Jobs in sql agent - I would like to see the old icon failed or successfull on the first screen I go to, not to dig up several screens deep.

• Slow oh its slow....

I had to extend the timeout period for any connection to a remote server! And anytime I try and load an object (sp, view) from a remote server it takes forever to connect.

I wish I had left good old enterprise manager installed.

How can the connection be so much slower? Have they introduced an additional protocol layer or something?

• If the next version of SQL Server has as bloated a tool as Management Studio it better have a code name of "Guantanamo Bay".

Until Christmas this year I have been getting a long fine with an old PC. Sheer embarrasment prevents me from revealing its age, but it used to do the job. VBA, C++, Access, MySQL, MSDE etc no problems.

As I wanted to upgrade my skills to SQL2005, VS2005 etc I decided to upgrade the machine. 3GHz should be fine, 512Mb RAM 160GB hard disk.

Sure enough all my old stuff goes like the proverbial off a shovel.

One Microsoft Seminar later and I have a 1CAL edition of SQL 2005/VS 2005. How the sweet Jesus do they manage to make it so slow? Even after adding /nosplash to the VS2005 shortcut and -nosplash to the SQLEW shortcut it still takes forever and a day.

At work I had an extra 1GB of RAM added to my machine and this brings the toolset up to the level of "barely acceptable".

Why isn't there SQL intellisense in any of the SQL tools?

Why isn't there a Wizard for the SSIS thing.

Why do BOL for SQL2005 now take so long to load? It has the whiff of an XML parser about it!

I would sooner see a suite of separate light tools with a common look a feel than a single bloated behemoth.

How about tools that allow optional loading of components to lighten the load?

• I am no particular fan of EM, I find it great for a few select tasks - like checking/creating Agent Jobs, browsing sql logs, looking at the diagrams etc.  The rest I tend to do in QA.

This new management studio has me confused.  I have to say I have not yet found 1 task easier/more natural/less stressfull to accomplish than previously.  Trying to graphically manage some permissions (which I always thought pretty lame in EM) gave me a real wtf moment.  Ended up scripting it.

What I would like to see is a very lightweight tool similar to QA.  A more advanced object browser would be good.  One enhancement for that would be to create a directory structure that matches the databases components, so that we could easily drag in files representing procedures/table defns etc, for source control.  Some of the version handling from Word would be ideal here - a new version could be saved along with any execution of the whole file.

Some slightly more intuitive implementation of the ForEachDB/table/column type procs would be great, as well as simple sql commands to generate scripts.  Yes, I know there are various ways to get them, but why is there no supplied (that I have found) sql function to generate the entire create statement for an object + its children?

Sure have a visual studio alike interface for the .net developers to make it easier for them to make a dba's life hell (clr, com+ transaction handling ) but please, give us cli types some extra welly to overcome these emerging disasters. Please

• Integration Services Complaint:

In DTS (2000), when viewing the properties of an  "Execute SQL" task, although the dialogue box was fairly small and NOT resizable, one could view several lines of SQL code and edit it rather easily.

With IS, viewing the properties to view the SQL code displays the SQL code in a small text box, which when mouse-pointered-over puts the SQL code into a larger call-out box THAT CANNOT BE EDITED.  You must copy the code into another editor (can be the VS edior), edit the code and copy it to the little bitty text box for SQL.   It is a step backwards.  Whoever designed that has to know that it was going to be more cumbersome.

• Mike,

There's a little button that apears when that property is highlighted. Click it and you'll go into a Notepad-alike editor. Not great but better than copying/pasting.

-Jamie

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply