What are differnt reasons by which server be shut down

• How and why the server goes down (in what cases). I mean if we have run out of space in disk , any others reason and suggestions are welcome...

• That's a pretty broad question, when you say "server goes down" are you talking about the server physically going down, O/S halts/blue screens, SQL Server crashes, or SQL Server becomes non-responsive?

Each circumstance has it's own set of troubleshooting steps...

• There is no list to say why server went down. Every time you may have different reason.

[font="Verdana"]--www.sqlvillage.com[/size][/font]

• Joe

Exactly , thats the reason i have put this on forum.

Can we all jot down the reasons for all the possibilities...

Regards.

• Could you please be specify your question.

You mean a planned shutdown or an unplanned outage?

• This is for Outages...

• So, your question is "which SQL problems could cause a server outage?

That is a very good question. To be honest when I think about a server outage I always think that it is cause due to some hardware or OS failure.

Did you have any outage caused by SQL?

• How and why the server goes down (in what cases). I mean if we have run out of space in disk , any others reason and suggestions are welcome...

This could mean more than one thing. Does this mean the SQL server instance is not accessible or the physical server goes down, these can be too entrirely different things.

I took this as the SQL instance is not accessible or non functional, so here are some contributers:

hardware failure,

natural disaster,

out of disk space,

corrupt master database,

changed configurations,

changed domain account that drives SQL service accounts,

something gets deleted that shouldn't have

• 🙂

Joe , your help would be apreciated...

• IT guy trips over the power cord?

This is a very broad topic, I think you need to narrow down exactly what you're looking for. You could write a whole book on this subject ...

• IT guy trips over the power cord?

🙂

Funny, but true... 🙂

• This is the kind of thing where the kind of outages are limited only to your imagination.

Causes of outages (all of these are real):

- dust (seize a hard drive, set the machine on fire)

- fire deterrent (fire alarms goes off, fire deterrent material incorrectly used spraying server...sizzle)

- liquid (cup of coffee into a server...sizzle)

- liquid part 2 (roof surface leaked, weakening the roof so that the AC unit caves in on the datacenter.

- Gravity (see example above)

- Cleaning folks/clumsy IT guys (trip on cords/server, CRASH)

- street construction (back-hoe to the T-3 lines....)

- phone lines (overload on a phone line, not surge-protected....sizzle)

You're going to have to be more specific. What do you plan on using this list for? contingency planning?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I agree with Adam Bean you should be more specific!

• Matt Miller (3/21/2008)

- Gravity

I've recently proposed purchasing gravity insurance to my bosses for these situations ...

• Adam Bean (3/21/2008)

Matt Miller (3/21/2008)

- Gravity

I've recently proposed purchasing gravity insurance to my bosses for these situations ...

Careful...It's expensive stuff...:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply