What are differnt reasons by which server be shut down

• This is an ages-old question about any system or service, and although the details are specific to each individual type of system or service, the individual causes of service failures can categorized according to the following structure:

[font="Times New Roman"] Causes of Outages

Human

Intentional (Planned)

. . .

Unintentional (Operator Error)

. . .

Antagonistic (Bad Acts)

. . .

Non-Human

Environmental

. . .

Hardware

. . .

Software

. . .

[/font]

Discuss.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Adam Haines (3/21/2008)

IT guy trips over the power cord?

🙂

Funny, but true... 🙂

I was going to go with monkey with a wrench in the power room...

Couple I've seen / have direct experience with:

(1) HVAC guy drops a small bolt into the building wide UPS while working on a duct, shorts literally everthing.

(2) Biggest blizzard in 50 years, water seeps through cinder block walls eventually raising humidity in power room sufficiently to allow for arc while switching from main to UPS during weekly testing.

(3) Idiot DBA in a hurry to get home on his anniversary eyeballs large raid array, identifies bad disk, swaps and spends his anniversary night restoring array/databases (that one would be me, about 15 years ago).

• Guys , can we limit this discussion only on SQL internals. not physical damages or neglegence by DBAs....

• Kam,

There are HUNDREDS of reasons ... what is your objective here?

• Adam

like master corruption, disk full, and other you can specify out of HUNDREDs ????

• Yes ... if you're excluding hardware, that means we're talking about the operating system and SQL Server. There are quite a many reasons to as why SQL could go down.

Again, what is your objective? Are you simply trying to list each and every possible reason to as why SQL could go down?

• How about the most common reason? bad application code.

• adam ,

exactly. i want to list every possible way , excluding hardware, neglegence ....

• Jones

can you please elaborate... bad code...

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply