Using HTML files as resources in SSRS no longer works after SP2

• We had an .html file that was uploaded to our SSRS instance that we used as a shortcut for users to access our data dictionary.    It had a simple javascript redirect that opened a new page and redirected the user to the data dictionary site.

We recently install SQL 2016 SP2 on this instance.  The HTML pages now no longer work.  Instead of launching the page and running the HTML code it prompts to save the file.

This occurs on multiple browsers (I.E., Chrome, FF) and only for the test system where the service pack is installed.  It still functions as normal on a machine where the service pack was not installed.

Does anyone have any ideas what needs to be adjusted so that the html pages are rendered without download? 
    steps to recreate the issue:
    1) Create html page as test.html.
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <body>
         <br>
         this is a test!
         <br>
    </body>
    </html>

2) upload to SSRS 
    3) Click the link for the resource.  
    Instead of opening a new window and running the html code the i.e. save as dialog box opens.

Thanks,
    -Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• I guess I must be way behind on what you can do with SSRS.   Can you explain exactly what you mean by "upload an html page to SSRS" ?   Last I knew, you could have a report get "uploaded" that is an RDL file, but I am; perhaps cluelessly; unaware of any way to upload a web page to SSRS.   I remember back when you no longer needed IIS on your SSRS instance, and have presumed ever since that RDL files are it.   So basically, "Splain', Lucy!"...   What have I missed?

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• You can upload a resource file.  Basically any valid file can be uploaded... Html, Images etc.

Open the report manager interface (http://yourservername/reports by default)
    Click the "Upload" menu item (it's up top)
    Browse to the file you want to upload, click OK.
    More details can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/report-server/upload-files-to-a-folder?view=sql-server-2017

After performing more research, it looks like even though the file we are uploading are valid HTML documents, SSRS is no longer interpreting them as the correct MIME Type.
    Previously SSRS would see these as Text/HTML so when you clicked on the HTML document it would open in your browser like any other URL link/shortcut etc.
    After applying 2016 SP2, when I upload the same HTML document it shows as MIMEtype application/octet-stream - This is available from the properties window.  When you click the hyperlink it tries to download the file instead of opening it in a browser window. 

I'm not certain if this is an improved security "feature" or a bug.  I didn't see this documented in the Service pack release notes and I didn't see anything on the SQL Server User voice site, but I may have missed it, which is why I'm reaching out here, to see if anyone else has seen this and if they have any workarounds.

The best work around I've found so far is to create a report with URL hyperlinks in the report.  We want our users to be able to open our Data Dictionary website (created using SQLDoc!) from within SSRS Report Manager so they don't have to remember another link.Thanks,
    -Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• I guess I'd hum a rock at MS and see what they have to say.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I just added it to the User Voice site as a bug.  Feel free to upvote it if you think it's relevant.
    https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/34492021-ssrs-2016-sp2-no-longer-respects-text-html-mimetyp

Thanks,
    -Luke.

• I'd still call MS.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Maybe just create a report with nothing in it but the URL to your data dictionary site? Even if not redirecting, one extra click shouldn't be that bad.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford - Friday, June 8, 2018 9:49 AM

Maybe just create a report with nothing in it but the URL to your data dictionary site? Even if not redirecting, one extra click shouldn't be that bad.

Yup, that's what we did as a work around, though it's not ideal as we want it to pop a new window instead of taking over the original.  I'm looking at options to make that work now instead of the default hyperlink actions from SSRS...

The other way we were able to work around it was to create a shortcut (desktop, right-click new shortcut etc) and then upload that, but it still prompts the user to click Open/Save etc.

• Jeff Moden - Friday, June 8, 2018 8:54 AM

I'd still call MS.

That's the plan at this point, but I need to free up a few hours for that.  Perhaps next week...

• I'm curious to know if you were able to contact MS and what, if any, resolution was offered?  We are also impacted by this bug and the idea of a blank SSRS report could work but is not desirable.

PS. I did upvote your UserVoice suggestion

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply