Use case and join in a stament

• Question;

After trying a lot of different options I wonder if the solution I want to use is possible. The T-SQL below will say enough to show what I mean (I hope so). I used the SQL2000 std db pubs for this test.

update publishers as p inner join pub_info as i on (p.pub_id=i.pub_id)

set

p.state = case

when p.country LIKE ('USA')

then '11'

else p.state

end,

p.city = case

when p.pub_id = '8888'

then '22'

end

where p.country <> 'FLAPDROL' OR

p.pub_id = '9999'

As you can see I dont use the join to update table rows. However, the result should be 0 rows affected with no errors. In this version of the t-sql the error will give an error around "as" in line 1.

Without defining "as" as easy-typo and removing all the p.prefixes other errors will follow. This is just a example of the data I want to update. I need a statement that uses a join for 2 tables where i can define the ifs an whens of 2 different tables.

Using:

publishers as p inner join pub_info as i on (p.pub_id=i.pub_id)

So, does anybody knows how to use all the statements Update, Join, Case, When, Then, Else, end (cast) in a single query (more is good 2:)). If I know the structure of this statement I think I can query the rest. If its not possible to use it like this I really would like to know, saves me a lot of querying.

thank you a lot for thinking about it.

Gr,

Sebastiaan.

(

Simpe t-sql I began with:

update publishers

set

state = case

when country LIKE ('USA')

then '11'

else state

end,

city = case

when pub_id = '2222'

then '33'

end

where country <> 'FLAPDROL' OR

pub_id = '4444'

)

works just fine, no errors. but only 1 table, 1 table bad,,, 2 table good.

• You can do this - the key is in the syntax:

UPDATE

SET

FROM

WHERE

So, I think this is what you are looking for:

update publishers

set state = case when publishers.country LIKE ('USA') then '11' else publishers.state end,

city = case when publishers.pub_id = '8888' then '22' end

from publishers inner join pub_info on (publishers.pub_id=pub_info.pub_id)

where publisher.country <> 'FLAPDROL' OR

publishers.pub_id = '9999'

Note that the "publishers" in the FROM clause is the SAME (as in the exact same, not a copy as it is in a self-join) as the one in the UPDATE clause.

And I know you gave this just as an example, but when you are setting the city, if the pub_id isn't 8888, then it will set the city to be NULL (there is no "else" clause there).

Hope this helps!

Chad

• Chad,

Thank you a lot, this was the correct answer, It was very usefull for updating the addresses table in the Live database.

Greets

Sebastiaan.

• Is there any way to put a case statement within a join like this

SELECT * FROM DESSERTS

CASE WHEN ____ = ____ then

JOIN someTable on x.TableName1 = desserts.TableName1

When ____ = _____ then

JOIN someTable on x.TableName2 = desserts.TableName2

Else

Join someTable on x.TableName3 = desserts.TableName3

Sorry for the mulitple edits of this. For some reason the space bar was submitting it... Weird!!!

So basically depending on a particular case I want to join a main table with a secondary table.

Thanks

• You can't do precisely that, but you can have a join with conditional logic, or you could have an inline sub-query in a case statement if you just want one column from the other tables.

For example:

select *

from Table1

left outer join Table2

on Table1.Col2 = Table2.Col2

and Table1.Col1 = 2

left outer join Table3

on Table1.Col2 = Table3.Col2

and Table1.Col1 = 3;

or

select *,

case Col1

when 2 then

(select Col3

from Table2

where Col2 = Table1.Col2)

when 3 then

(select Col3

from Table3

where Col2 = Table1.Col2)

end

from Table1;

The first one joins to both tables, but only pulls data from Table2 when Col1 = 2, and only pulls data from Table3 when Col1 = 3.

The second one pulls one column of data from Table2 or Table3, depending on the value of Col1 in Table1.

Does that help?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Ok Imagine this scenario... now I am just inheriting this and not the original architect.... And my apologies for being generic but to show real data would make it even more confusing.

So say you have a table with 500 clients, but some are Diferent Branches

So say the 1st client is Acme SQL Servers (like that one? :))

Acme SQL Servers is in Field A

In Field B there are East, West, Central

In Field C there are North East, North West, South East, SouthWest, East Central, West Central

So it looks like this

Acme SQL Servers East North East

Acme SQL Servers East South East

Acme Routers

Acme Computers East

Acme Computers West

Acme Hard Drives East North West

And you have a sales table that you want to join it with

Now here is where it gets interesting:

Inserting a key in the sales data is not an option.

There are some fields in the sales table that will allow you to extrapulate who the client was but this is what is requiring the cases...

If a certain code has data in Field A,B & C then we need to join on a certain field

If there is no data in c but there is in A & B then we would join on a different field

If there is no data in b & c but there is in A then we would join on a different field

The only way I could think of doing it (but dont laugh here, it seems to work) is:

Select all the data where field C is not null

UNION

Select all the data where field c is null but field a & b are not null

UNION

Select all the data where field B & C Are null but not A

This is a very taxing pull on the server because we are talking about returning anywhere from 1-8 million records.

• I'm having trouble visualizing what you're describing. Can you provide a sample table (create table script) and a sample insert command, to create the data you're describing? Just a few rows, so I can understand a bit better.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared - Thursday, April 9, 2009 11:44 AM

You can't do precisely that, but you can have a join with conditional logic, or you could have an inline sub-query in a case statement if you just want one column from the other tables.For example:select *from Table1left outer join Table2on Table1.Col2 = Table2.Col2and Table1.Col1 = 2left outer join Table3on Table1.Col2 = Table3.Col2and Table1.Col1 = 3;orselect *,case Col1when 2 then(select Col3from Table2where Col2 = Table1.Col2)when 3 then(select Col3from Table3where Col2 = Table1.Col2)endfrom Table1;The first one joins to both tables, but only pulls data from Table2 when Col1 = 2, and only pulls data from Table3 when Col1 = 3.The second one pulls one column of data from Table2 or Table3, depending on the value of Col1 in Table1.Does that help?

• GSquared - Thursday, April 9, 2009 11:44 AM

You can't do precisely that, but you can have a join with conditional logic, or you could have an inline sub-query in a case statement if you just want one column from the other tables.For example:select *from Table1left outer join Table2on Table1.Col2 = Table2.Col2and Table1.Col1 = 2left outer join Table3on Table1.Col2 = Table3.Col2and Table1.Col1 = 3;orselect *,case Col1when 2 then(select Col3from Table2where Col2 = Table1.Col2)when 3 then(select Col3from Table3where Col2 = Table1.Col2)endfrom Table1;The first one joins to both tables, but only pulls data from Table2 when Col1 = 2, and only pulls data from Table3 when Col1 = 3.The second one pulls one column of data from Table2 or Table3, depending on the value of Col1 in Table1.Does that help?

I tried the following script in SQL Server 2014, which returned an error:

Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
    Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =,
    !=, <, <= , >, >= or when the subquery is used as an expression.

SELECT *,
    case city
    WHEN 'London' THEN
    (SELECT shipcity FROM [Sales].[Orders] o WHERE o.custid = c.custid)
      WHEN 'Berlin' THEN
    END
    FROM [TSQLV_3].[Sales].[Customers] c

• busterDimartino - Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:22 AM

GSquared - Thursday, April 9, 2009 11:44 AM

I tried the following script in SQL Server 2014, which returned an error:

Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
    Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =,
    !=, <, <= , >, >= or when the subquery is used as an expression.

SELECT *,
    case city
    WHEN 'London' THEN
      WHEN 'Berlin' THEN
    END
    FROM [TSQLV_3].[Sales].[Customers] c

ten year old thread, bud. But aside from that, your subquery must have more than one shipcity value, and you can't update something to be more than one value.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply