Updating values in a table using ceiling

• I'm trying to update values in a table that stores costs of various items.  I need to round all the costs up where they have a decimal value eg:

100.53 rounds up to 101.00

100.26 round up to 101.00

I can use the ceiling function to return all the correct values using the following:

select ceiling(cost)

from table_name

I'm now having trouble trying to update the table with the new values returned using the ceiling command as I need to round the cost values for all rows (70000 odd).  Anyone got any solutions for this?

• What sort of trouble are you having? Do you want to batch the updates?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Basically, I'm just trying to replace all the values in the fee column with the the new valules I return when I use the ceiling(fee) comand. When I try to set the fee value with the new value using ceiling(fee), I run into a problem as there are multiple values being returned by the select command. This is where I've got so far:

update fee_maxima_benchmarks

set fee = (

select ceiling(fee)

from fee_maxima_benchmarks

);

I'd thought about using a temp table, but haven't really done that before, is this the way to go or is there a simple method?

• You've made it a bit difficult on yourself... the following should do nicely and should do 70,000 records in something less than 10 seconds on a good server...

UPDATE Fee_Maxima_Benchmarks
    SET Fee = CEILING(Fee)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks Jeff, my brains mush from the 2 months I've just spent in Greece. This worked perfectly. Simple is always best. Cheers.

• I would add a WHERE clause to this, along the lines of

UPDATE Fee_Maxima_Benchmarks

SET Fee = CEILING(Fee)

WHERE Fee CEILING(Fee)

The slight amount of extra processing involved is worth it to reduce the potential number of disk writes. It also means that you can rerun the query at any time in the future without re-writing all the records already fixed.

Cheers

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• great thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply