unable to connect to SQL2005 Cluster via instance name with Microsoft Intune pc

• We are currently testing a pc deployed and managed using Microsoft Intune.

We notice we cannot connect to a clustered SQL Server 2005 instance using the instance name.

IMO the problem is that with SQL 2005 the SQLBrowser service always replies using the ip address of the node that hosts the instance.

When using the port number, it works without a problem.

Anybody else noticing this ?

What did you do to solve this issue with SQLBrowser ( except for using the portno ) ?

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• This will sound a bit stupid or as a shot in the dark but, when you select @@ServerName, does it return the instance name or something else?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• It returns the sql server full instance name allright.

Johan

• I am not sure this is a SQL2005 problem, or that it is any type of a problem.  When you connect to a clustered instance surely you should connect via the virtual name for the SQL cluster.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• It must be a SQL2005 issue.

All newer Clustered SQL Server instances work are getting connected to without an issue.

Johan

• I am assuming you are trying to connect to the SQL cluster via the virtual base only. You do not use any instance name when connecting to a SQL cluster.

If so it is time to look at some environmental issues.  Have you had any success connecting to a SQL2005 cluster in the past. What OS was that cluster running on and what OS is the current cluster using.  What OS was used for the client when the connection worked and what OS is the current client running on.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• No we only have named instances on our SQL2005 clusters.

ClusteredSQLServerName\InstanceName is being used to connect with.

Connections which provide the correct port number workt fine

( ClusteredSQLServerName, portno OR ClusteredSQLServerName\InstanceName,portno )

Johan

• I was hoping you would answer the questions I gave regarding host and client OS. It means I have to guess things with this response.

SQL2005 can be installed on W2000 through to W2008 R2. Of these only W2008R2 supports TLS 1.3. However SQL2005 does not support TLS 1.3, only 1.1. If you try to connect to SQL2005 from a client that does not support TLS 1.1 it will not work.

Intune is a cloud service running on latest MS software so it does not support TLS 1.1, only TLS 1.3 and above. Even TLS 1.3 is nearing its end of life nowadays.

I think that if you want to connect to SQL Server via Intune then you need to be running a version of SQL that runs on W2012 or above. My advice is to rebuild your clusters on W2023 running SQL2023.

Also, when you connect to your cluster use only the virtual name. The instance name on the connection string is redundant and serves mainly to make migrations to new environments more complex. You can use port 1433 on all the virtual names in the cluster, as each virtual name has its own IP address.

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by  EdVassie.

• These are SQL 2005 instances on Win 2003 ( to be retired in the next 2 years, for the last 10 years )

From systems maintenance perspective, we don't touch these instances anymore. Warnings and projects have been launched over the last decade to migrate to newer instances, but clients perspective is "never change a winning team".

In the mean time, keeping this elderly league up and running becomes a mayor pita.

Johan

• Maybe you should ask them to name a sport where the winning team from 20 years ago could still be a winning team today using the same players.

Their formerly winning team has aged into a bunch of seniors with all the health problems that seniors get.

But this is not a game. It is business risk and the risk gets higher every day nothing is done.  This is both for your clients and for you as a host. The least you should be doing is talking to your client to say you can no longer give any form of SLA on this kit. Any work required would be on a best-efforts basis at an hourly rate with no guarantee of success.

In theory nothing is currently broken. In practice it is so far behind the curve of current good practice the client risks law suits from their investors for not managing business risk.

Depending on how your legal team view the risk of being added to a law suit against your client, it may be time to request an indemnity against that risk, or ask that the problem kit is removed from you premises.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 4 weeks ago by  EdVassie.

• indeed.

Been there, did that.

You can bring a horse to the water, but you cannot make it drink.

Johan

• Likewise,

You can lead a user to data but you can't make them think.

• Johan Bijnens wrote:

indeed.

Been there, did that.

You can bring a horse to the water, but you cannot make it drink.

You can if you hold its head underwater and hook a shop-vac up to its a$$. 😉  (My NSFW way of describing some convincing argument).

Hire a company to evaluate the security of the system.  One that specializes in "ethical hacking" and demonstrate to them the things that can go wrong.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• You already made my day, Jeff !

Visualising your figurative speech.

Guess what: our auditors are always charmed by the 2 year migration rule ( that is already active for 10 years ... and counting)

Johan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply