Transactions

• i TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOUR POINT HERE.

• Hugo Kornelis (9/25/2012)

A good question; thanks!

However, I did find myself staring at the wording for a bit before answering - and hoping that my interpretation was the correct one. The term "failing" can be ambiguous. Some people might argue that "failing" also includes running without error but not rolling back changes on a rollback. And I even considered the possibility that the question was phrased by a non-native speaker who intended to ask which code fragments would have a permanent effect (e.g. the rollback would not affect the DDL statement).

Maybe a better way to phrase this would have been to ask "which fragments run without generating an error".

PS: The above is not meant to criticize, but to help Lokesh and other question authors think about possible ambiguity when submitting future QotD's.

i TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOUR POINT HERE.

• Good question...

• Good question.

Nice blg entry too, apart from "BACKUP/BACKUP" instead of "BACKUP/RESTORE".

Tom

• DugyC (9/25/2012)

Gaarrr!!! :angry:

Even though I knew the answer was "Success, Fail, Success" for some dumb @ss reason I clicked the inversion and selected "Fail, Success, Fail" aaaaargh!!

:w00t:

I also have had bouts of dyslexia, especially before the first coffee cup. 😀

• Loved the question! :w00t:

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
    http://www.softplan.com.br
    MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA

• A really nice question. Thanks, Lokesh!

• Great question. Didn't know some DDL could/couldn't be used within a transaction. Good to learn something new. Thank you, Lokesh.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

• L' Eomot Inversé (9/25/2012)

Good question.

Thanks Tom!

I have updated the blog now 🙂

~ Lokesh Vij

Guidelines for quicker answers on T-SQL question[/url]
    Guidelines for answers on Performance questions

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLPathy.com[/url]

Follow me @Twitter

• L' Eomot Inversé (9/25/2012)

Good question.

+1

I have you followed but for whatever reason didn't get an email about the new post. For anyone who missed the link earlier it's here[/url].

Kenneth FisherI was once offered a wizards hat but it got in the way of my dunce cap.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]For better answers on performance questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/[/url]Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com[/url]

• I also mused over the interpretation of 'success' before choosing my answer, and selected the wrong interpretation (I thought 'success' meant successfully rolling back.)

However I also got it wrong on another point so no harm done :o)

-------------------------------Oh no!

• Nice question

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply