Top of Your Profession

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Top of Your Profession

• From what I have seen the people I would regard as being at the top of their profession have certain traits.

• Competence with confidence
    • Natural teachers.  If feels like you learn through osmosis whether or not either of you are actively teaching/studying
    • They enjoy what they do and share their success
    • They actively seek out new knowledge and are seen to do so.  They are not embarrassed or insecure about what they don't know.

I've considered the SQLBits crew to be at the top of their game.  Some of the guest speakers too. Denny Cherry, Thomas Kesjer, Steph Locke, Cathrine Wilhelmson, Jen Stirrup and many more.

• David.Poole wrote:

From what I have seen the people I would regard as being at the top of their profession have certain traits.

• Competence with confidence
    • Natural teachers.  If feels like you learn through osmosis whether or not either of you are actively teaching/studying
    • They enjoy what they do and share their success
    • They actively seek out new knowledge and are seen to do so.  They are not embarrassed or insecure about what they don't know.

I've considered the SQLBits crew to be at the top of their game.  Some of the guest speakers too. Denny Cherry, Thomas Kesjer, Steph Locke, Cathrine Wilhelmson, Jen Stirrup and many more.

Ah... you've done it again, Mr. Poole... In my humble opinion, that's a perfect observation that very closely matches the very same intent of what you said a very long time ago and that I'll never forget the gist of ...

"If you are in the position where people will voluntarily use you as the first point of contact for database information rather than the last then you are probably an exceptional DBA." - David Poole - 20 April 2008

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/the-skill-set-of-the-exceptional-dba#post-804706

@Andy... Great article.  Thanks for taking the time to share it.  I especially liked the part about the proverbial next ladder.  While it's certainly good to have goals, it's also ok to enjoy the fruits of your labor, at least for a while, once you've actually achieved a goal or set of goals.  It's also one way to not get tired of climbing.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• The way I became a DBA was possibly unusual.  I was classified as a 'SQL Developer' at a large international company, and that placed me in a certain salary range that was below that for a 'Database Administrator'.  So at an annual performance review I asked my manager to change my position classification, which he did, and that placed me in the higher salary range for the company.

At another point at the same company I felt I needed a higher salary, so prepared a summary of all the functions that I performed for the department, asked my manager for a meeting, and presented my summary along with my requested salary level.  His response was 'OK, I'll handle that'.

And a third time, after I had taken an early retirement package during a down-sizing,  I was contacted by my manager and asked if I would be interested in returning to my position.  Again I was able to negotiate a very nice salary increase and unlimited unpaid time off for returning to work as a contract employee.

My conclusion is that sometimes you need to take charge of things for your own benefit.   You can take your own steps up your ladder.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Great article, Andy. This topic is something I've been thinking about for a while.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply