The SQL Twilight Zone

• PostGres with the spatial plugin to make it PostGIS

I m merely a hobbyist compared to nearly everyone in here.

That said MS Azure now gives me access to anything I want. I spend a small amount of money every month and tinker about with SQL Server on my own projects (that said with database as a service). I concentrate on end to end applications that have small amounts of information in them compared to many. I have minimal input as a DBA at work but nonetheless anything I learn from my home work helps me in many tasks.

I would have thought the same for everyone in here anyone who has understanding of the cloud is probably more independent than ever albeit you may be less involved in configuring/backup database work.

What is nice about this is that my access to tools in some sense is very stable and independent of my employment with my knowledge slowly improving over time. I like this fact. I am considering shelling out for a PostGres database because it is strong on spatial.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, November 2, 2018 1:30 PM

Rod at work - Friday, November 2, 2018 8:18 AM

Steve, what do you mean by, "In today's SQL twilight zone..."?

The rest of the sentence: imagine you can't work with SQL Server any longer.

Heh... I hate it when you write such things.  Do you know something the rest of us don't? 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I know how Twilight Zone episodes work; as soon as I would learn PostgresSQL, I'd wake up again and everyone else on the planet would be a SQL Server DBA. :ermm:

But, today in reality, my title at work has changed from SQL Server DBA/Developer to Cloud Data Architect, and my new primary domain will be all things data related in Azure. In the coming years, I expect on-prem SQL Server to take a backseat to the various Azure database services. But it won't happen overnight, and it won't disappear from the landscape.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I would leave SQL Server for other type of data. Most likely I would end up with Flow Simulation on Ground Vehicles. If I never started with SQL Server I'd probably be owning my own car shop / being a master mechanic (of course). 😉 😎

Matter of fact: I'm willing to leave IT for good after spending some time with a racing team, unfortunately I haven't come across an offer yet so you have to deal with me... 😛

• I'm probably the most boring one here...
    If SQL Server vanished from the face of the earth tonight, and I had to find a new role / job tomorrow, I'd probably fall back on my previous experience as a sysadmin.  I might even shoot for a *gasp* management position overseeing sysadmins, because I can at least talk some of the talk while knowing that I won't know everything about what they do.

From there, I'd probably start looking at what's left in the RDBMS world and see what I could pick up.  I've maintained an Oracle database for a couple months, and while it's a great product with some great features, yeah no.

• Jeff Moden - Sunday, November 4, 2018 5:28 PM

Heh... I hate it when you write such things.  Do you know something the rest of us don't? 😀

Nope , was just pondering what I'd do after talking with someone that had moved to a new phase of their career.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, November 12, 2018 10:29 AM

Nope , was just pondering what I'd do after talking with someone that had moved to a new phase of their career.

I am sort of in that position now.  I can either become a tester to stay in the group I am currently in, hope they can find me a new home here still working with SQL Server, or find new employment (hopefully still working with SQL Server) somewhere else.  Biggest problem, I really can't move right now with the health issues my dad id currently having.  Hope there is maybe finding something that would let me work from home.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply