The Social Mesh

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Social Mesh

• Interesting, but not new information (just a new book, it sounds like). πŸ˜›

Anyone who's ever belonged to a club knows that there is the core group of people who will step up to the plate to keep the club running - they're the officers, organizers, rally chairs, ride leaders, and so on. A club I belong to just had a historical chart done (by a new co-president) that showed the club officers over the last 27 years. Funny how the same names kept popping up in different positions.

I do wonder what business managers will do with this information now that it's been "published". Do you think they can recognize these "hidden talents"? If so, would it benefit those people (i.e. compensation for all they do), or could it be detrimental to them (i.e. the managers see them as a threat)? And is it really a benefit to the business, or does it consolidate knowledge in a few people at the expense of their co-workers who never have an opportunity to progress to the level of "hidden guru"?

Guess I'll just have to read the book... πŸ˜€

Here there be dragons...,

Steph Brown

• In the companies I have worked for, I have found there are always as disparate group of people to which I refer to as the 'players', these people can get things done, either because of who else they know in their own networks or because of the bit of the company/process that they control. Being a player has nothing to do with ones rank in the company, it's about being able to get things done. Once you tap into such a network everyone tries to keep each other sweet, it's all about calling in favors, it's built on trust. As well as enabling things to happen, the players also have the ability to slow things down and prevent things from happening. It pays not to upset one of the players. These networks would not work if formally exposed in some org' chart.

Phill Carter

• Interesting...

I once worked for a company for almost 20 years and became one of those who could get things done. No, I could not get approval to do something, I could never do that, I would just see what needed to be done, and find a way to do it.

For example, we were a dealer for a line of equipment that had many different hydraulic hoses. These were a little bit special and could not be purchased at the local parts suppliers. Our parts department was constantly getting hydraulic hoses shipped in overnight to allow a customer to get his machine back in service within 3 to 4 days. The down time went something like this. Customer calls the service department and says his machine is leaking oil. A tech arrived that day or the next. Oops, don't have that hose in stock. Call the parts department, have them overnight the part into the dealership. Part arrives, service department notified, and a tech is scheduled in to replace the defective hose. The company was very concerned about equipment down time, so we had the repair done most of the time within 3 days, but sometimes 4.

My boss asked me to research the possibility of making the hoses in house. This was before the internet, computers on every desk, etc.... you get the idea, a long time ago:) After a couple of weeks, I had managed to get catalogs on all the different components and equipment required. We went to the owner of the company and asked if we could try to duplicate the factory hoses to allow better service to our customers. We were told in no uncertain terms to forget it!

A few weeks later, one of our better customers had a hose problem and I asked my boss to approach the owner again for permission to try making our own hoses. He said it wouldn't do any good, but approved me purchasing all the components, setting up the equipment on the weekend on my own time, and producing usable samples. My boss promised to cover my a** and keep me from getting fired if the owner got irate.

Well, it worked... We were able to get equipment up on the same service call in a high percentage of breakdowns, and within six months special hose orders were down to less than 5% of previous levels. Oh, and my boss covered my a** as promised, by saying "Oh, you know how Plummer is, you can't control that SOB when thinks he's right, and this time I guess he was."

So, my advise to all of you who are a part of the "just get things done" network within you perspective companies is to keep up the good work. As for my old boss and the owner of the company, they are both dead now and I miss seeing both of these fine men.

• Sounds like an interesting book. I recall reading an article about how someone did a similar analysis using email records. Just looking at the from and to fields they were able to map out the unofficial org chart. I hope that the book has tips for subtle manager who can tweak things and help the hidden network succeed. However, I can think of more than one manager that would use the information to expose the network and reprimand the participants for "going over his helmet".

• I would venture that if it were not for informal networks, many companies would fail. Think about what we are describing (and I realize this analogy will be lost on many): the traditional, ivory tower IT organization from the 1950's. Anybody want to go back there? I got my first job in a group that was assembled specifically because IT was run in that fashion and nothing was ever accomplished. The problem was that the business suffered while IT maintained its death grip.

As I see it, the problem with exposing the social networks to become part of the organization chart is described by the Peter Principle.

I think it is interesting to find that the world wide web, as we like to refer to it, is simply a reflection of these same social networks, sped up by electronics. And if it works for the web, who is to say that it does not work for businesses? It is an interesting observation but it doesn't necessarily mean that the fabric of these organizations is broken and requires repair.

------------
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -- Hunter S. Thompson

• Like other posters I believe that if we were to expose the hidden networks, they would become less efficient for numerous reasons. Like a previous poster I feel certain mangers who are afraid of the "people who can get things done", or who feel their authority is being challenged by them would hamper the network to attempt to enforce their own agenda. Whether this is due to lack of confidence in their own abilities or fear of job loss, demotion etc., doesn't really matter. It just will happen.

However in companies with management teams who are confident and able to support and nurture the networks, it may make for easier decisions when needing to prune dead weight from the company while making sure you don't lose any of the talent from the network.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Whenever I start with a new company, or a get moved to a different Org. Unit, I always look for the "RADAR" person. πŸ˜€

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• This should come as no surprise that informal networks are so critical.

We (and other primates) have evolved mental structures and models for social networks, these are so deeply wired that we are not fully aware of how they are working.

Org charts tend to oversimplify and codify the structure, but as is pointed out, don't describe what is actually happening.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• This is just showing who is a manager and who is a leader, not a new idea at all, just a new way to visualize everything. Leaders always find a way to get things done, even if the management is moving in another direction.

http://www.amazon.com/21-Irrefutable-Laws-Leadership/dp/0785274316

• This is the reason that when I join a new company, I go out of my way to learn the names of and be nice to the building maintenance guys, the mailroom guys, the security guards, the administrative assistants, the desktop computer support guys, the HR benefits and payroll people, the AR people, and the purchasing people. Having them on your side will pay off in ways that you can never anticipate in the beginning.

• I find the concept quite interesting. Not by identifying the hidden resources, but more by identifying the visible resources that are bypassed. Actually identifying bottlenecks in an organization and putting it in writing.

I’m sure everyone has worked with or for someone who hinders results, but how often is that seen at a higher level in the organization. If the bottleneck is documented, it would be pretty hard to sweep it under the rug…at least in the private sector.

• Always be nice to maintenance people, secretaries, and security people. They can make or break your ability to get things done.

• I definitely agree with being nice to the secretaries/admin assistants, mail room people etc. I have been there and know that it can make your job much more pleasant if people appreciate you and you then feel like helping them out and anticipating what may be needed.

Cheers,

Nicole

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply