The Geek Costume

• I'm not sure how to dress up as a 5 hour query rollback.

Or a corrupt database.

Or missing backups.

Or users with owner privileges.

Or a cursor.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• I'm not sure how to dress up as a 5 hour query rollback.

Or a corrupt database.

Or missing backups.

Or users with owner privileges.

Or a cursor.

Just stay up all night before, and you can go as a DBA from an e-commerce company. Our DBA doesn't even have to make the extra effort.

--- Remember, if you don't document your work, Apollo 13 doesn't come home.

• Wouldn't a Linux Tux costume, BSD's Beastie, or Open BSD's Puffy rate highly on the geek-o-meter?

Ooooh! Even better- the superhero Sudo! Sudo can do ANYTHING!

• I went as father time last year; however, due to time constraints and events this year I'm just going as a "DBA" so the kids can have a good time. πŸ˜€ Maybe next year I'll have something more creative in place.

Everything is awesome!

• Stefan Krzywicki (10/31/2014)

Or a corrupt database.

This one is easy; get/make a box you can wear and print out this on it:

http://cdn3.techworld.com/cmsdata/products/3354139/Microsoft_SQL_Server.jpg

Then get a cheap plastic pitch fork and devil horn headband.

viola, Corrupted Database.

• You could go as a giant cylinder with "The Phantom Menace" in text around it. That would make you a Prequel server πŸ™‚

• A regular theme for fancy dress night at sailing national championships is to dress as the name of your boat. If we ever go I plan to dress as Sir Nicholas De Mimsy-Porpington from the Harry Potter books since our boat is called Half Cut.

• Xavon (10/31/2014)

...I considered going as 'Ultra-geek'; my geekiest t-shirt (half-tucked in), hair slicked back except for a few cowlicks, tape on the glasses, and a collection of random accessories (I was thinking my LotRs Sting replica, a short bladed light saber, a magic wand, all carried in my NGE messenger bag). But I decided not to since my boss would probably just consider it as me ignoring the dress code. And they don't like it when I bring swords into the office...

:laugh:

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• thottle (10/31/2014)

I realized that, if the costume maven here gives me a hard time, I can just pull on my hoodie and say I'm Leonard from The Big Bang Theory.

That would work for me too, although I would probably look more like Belichick.

Tony
    ------------------------------------
    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

• If told I had to go I would not show up. When asked why I was not there I would say I was there in costume as the invisible man.

πŸ™‚

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• I could get a fancy hawaiian shirt, remove some hair and dress up as Steve Jones :hehe:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (10/31/2014)

I could get a fancy hawaiian shirt, remove some hair and dress up as Steve Jones :hehe:

Winner!!!

(...but you missed the friendliest grin)

Gaz

• Me - Fred and the wife - Wilma of the Flintstones. Always a hit at any party, adult or otherwise.

• cackalackian (10/31/2014)

Me - Fred and the wife - Wilma of the Flintstones. Always a hit at any party, adult or otherwise.

Sorry but that just gives me the shudders as the last time I saw a "Fred & Wilma" was at a New Years Eve party at a pub. When the locals all turned up in fancy dress (not advertised to us diners) there was a big announcement from them that basically said that no one was leaving that night with their own spouse. Our table (of about 12) was repeatedly approached. We didn't stay long...and we all left with our own partners.

Gaz

• This is my Michael Myers outfit complete with movie replica mask. Gave a few folks a fright already and I'm only just walking my husky!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply