The Geek Costume

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Geek Costume

• I have to say that fancy dress parties make me want to be contrary.

A couple of decades ago (I was a student with a part time bar job) I went to a Halloween party hosted by someone I worked with and her flat mate. I went as Father Christmas. I had a great time. Everyone seemed to like my costume even though many had put in fantastic efforts using fake blood, paint and latex etc. as well as wearing superb, often self made, costumes. I am still married to the flat mate :w00t:

So, assuming everyone is going to be costumed up to the 9s, I would go as Agent Coulson; sharp suit, S.H.I.E.L.D. badge and replica Night-Night gun.

Attention seeking? Moi? :hehe:

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• This is me last year, never did anything like this when I was young (we didn't do Halloween in the Netherlands)

Scared a few korfball club members that night.

(See attachment)

• While I'm not really one much for Halloween, if I did dress up for a party, I think my favorite costume would have to be something like a Jedi or Sith from Star Wars.

• Coming off of a couple of recent Comic Cons (excuse me San Diego for using your personal title), Salt Lake City Comic Con and Tree City Comic Con, I just dressed up in my Indiana Jones outfit for work.

• Last year I went as Sheldon Cooper from "The Big Bang Theory." My wife completed it by going as Amy Farrah Fowler.

• The Doctor!

• jennifertorres (10/31/2014)

The Doctor!

That has a lot of possibilities...

Last year I went as Sheldon Cooper from "The Big Bang Theory." My wife completed it by going as Amy Farrah Fowler.

Did you have his 'doppler effect' Halloween t-shirt?

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• For the past few years I have gone as Harry Dresden. But the duster gets really hot after an hour or two. And for some reason people think I'm going to wallop them with my staff or blasting rod.

Unfortunately my Jedi robes were not ready in time for this year.

I considered going as 'Ultra-geek'; my geekiest t-shirt (half-tucked in), hair slicked back except for a few cowlicks, tape on the glasses, and a collection of random accessories (I was thinking my LotRs Sting replica, a short bladed light saber, a magic wand, all carried in my NGE messenger bag). But I decided not to since my boss would probably just consider it as me ignoring the dress code. And they don't like it when I bring swords into the office...

• I tried a number of years ago to get the guys in the team that I worked with to go in as "The Men in Black". But being developers, given the choice of wearing a tie and not wearing a tie, they said I was nuts and they weren't going to wear a tie. So I did it solo, white shirt, skinny black tie, and dark shades with a Super-Soaker water cannon as one of the props.

• Solomon Kane, because the character isn't that common at conventions and parties, and on some level I self identify with him.

http://www.comicvine.com/solomon-kane/4005-16222/

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Who else but Data from STNG? 🙂

• I realized that, if the costume maven here gives me a hard time, I can just pull on my hoodie and say I'm Leonard from The Big Bang Theory.

Now, if I can just convince my wife to get a pixie cut before I get home...

--- Remember, if you don't document your work, Apollo 13 doesn't come home.

• tmac3217 (10/31/2014)

Last year I went as Sheldon Cooper from "The Big Bang Theory." My wife completed it by going as Amy Farrah Fowler.

Nice!

• One of the fun things about steampunk stuff is that it encourages you to come up with your own character/backstory and figure out a way to reflect that in your costume. More creative than going with a comic trope, I think. I've seen Victorian fairy-hunters with fairies on a stringer like trout, peddlers of mystery meats, clockwork ballerinas, ghost-hunters with mahogany-and-brass detection equipment, stockbrokers with aetherial tickertape hats- the list goes on...

One of my costumes was a time-traveler from the future visiting the 1890's. My 'authentic' costume had quite a few anachronisms- just like our 'Medieval' costumes are a mishmash of hundreds of years of fashion from different countries, all jumbled together.

Song title costumes can be fun too. A friend of mine got a stereotypical red devil costume, found a blue dress that would fit over it, and went to a party as "Devil With a Blue Dress" 😎

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply