The Costumed DBA

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

an ex  colleague of mine used to turn up in knee length shorts, Hawaiian shirt, flip flops and a lot of "bling" -

the directors put out an email about dress code (no shorts, no tshirts, no jeans and appropriate footwear).. he turned up in a crop  top, skirt and high heels (appropriate to the outfit) just in protest. all of it was in the rules (until the day after)

So what changed the day after? Actually, it would be problematic for HR to enforce a rule stating that men can't wear skirts and high heels.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

an ex  colleague of mine used to turn up in knee length shorts, Hawaiian shirt, flip flops and a lot of "bling" -

the directors put out an email about dress code (no shorts, no tshirts, no jeans and appropriate footwear).. he turned up in a crop  top, skirt and high heels (appropriate to the outfit) just in protest. all of it was in the rules (until the day after)

So what changed the day after? Actually, it would be problematic for HR to enforce a rule stating that men can't wear skirts and high heels.

fancy dress - funny thing when you work with a tester, they find every loophole in the rules... after about a month the company stopped saying you "cannot" wear x and said you "must" wear z …. they forgot to say that underwear had to be on the inside... typical test team humour

MVDBA

• DinoRS wrote:

I'd like to wear "The Stig" - a white racing suit and white racing helmet - because without many words I make things work faster (again).

That's great. I saw that at SQL Bits a few years ago. Quite a good costume.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

DinoRS wrote:

I'd like to wear "The Stig" - a white racing suit and white racing helmet - because without many words I make things work faster (again).

That's great. I saw that at SQL Bits a few years ago. Quite a good costume.

what ??? sql bits has fancy dress? i'm going dressed as a table.

in all honesty it would be the funniest thing ever if "the stig" got interviewed about the state of devops, GDPR, or anything serious (except Brexit)

MVDBA

• Bob the Builder.  Can we fix it?  Yes we can!

• Maybe I will go as a wall.  But then the developers will say I am not wearing a costume...

• A tester walks into work wearing an outfit.

A tester walks into work wearing 2 outfits.

A tester walks into work wearing an outfit and a lizard.

https://twitter.com/sempf/status/514473420277694465?lang=en

Puto me cogitare, ergo puto me esse.
    I think that I think, therefore I think that I am.

• skeleton567 wrote:

Jasona, I remember that on my first job as a developer trainee, all of us in a group of developers at Bendix Corp wore dress shirts and ties.  There were seven of us in two large cubicles and those were not costumes but normal dress for work there.

Well yeah, considering I work someplace where it's generally business casual with the occasional burst of business and some green-suits, this would be a costume.

??

• Given some of the systems I work with, probably Plague Doctor

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply