The Best DBA Gifts

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Best DBA Gifts

• Article "Oiling the gears for the data dictionary (Part 2) " on the way.  Have a great New Year Steve

• My best gift is another year with my wife of 40 years whom twice doctors gave up for lost, but who has survived and overcome bilateral below-knee amputation to become fully ambulatory on her prosthetics.  That's hard to beat.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Oh boy, that's a big one, Steve. I could list several things I'd like to see at work to make it more enjoyable and less difficult, but I'll keep this list short.

For a long time now I've known that the software we write exhibits an anti-pattern known as Action at a Distance. Before taking my time off, I described it to my colleagues, by demonstrating how our software exhibits this anti-pattern by both crashing the application and losing data, or saving data when the user doesn't want it saved. This makes us look bad and incompetent. I came up with an alternative to this anti-pattern within our code, then documented how to use it with code snippets. However, my colleagues were resistant. I'll admit that being somewhat lazy, it is easier to implement action at a distance, but I still think it is bad. I'd like them to either adopt the alternative that I've supplied or come up with their own that isn't a hack and merely a redressing of action at a distance, in another form.

I have to commute a long distance each day to work, because they require it. Technically, I don't have to work so far away because there are offices near my home I could go to work at, but they don't want me to. Their argument is that I need to be available to my customers. However, in reality I rarely ever meet with my customers. Most communication is done via email or phone. The higher ups know this, but it doesn't matter. Instead they implement policies more appropriate for the 1970's (so I'm told by my dad). Such long commutes require my wife and I to get up very early in the morning so she can take me to the station where I catch some public transit on my long trip to work. (We only have one vehicle at this time, because that's all I can afford.) This has a lot of detrimental affects upon our health, relationships at home, etc.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  Doctor Who 2.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  Doctor Who 2.

Rod

• My daughter wants to become a DBA and is going to school for it now.  She tries to get me coffee mugs with either Star Wars or DBA themes.  I guess the best gift she gave me is that she wants to follow in my footsteps and become a DBA when most of my extended family think I fix computers and want me to work on their Windows machines when I visit.  I own a mac so I don't have to work on the OS all the time.  Thank God for SQL on Linux 🙂

• Doctor Who 2, it sounds like you need to think about a different employer.  I have been fortunate enough to work for a really good boss who gets it.  My commute is 10 minutes because I moved closer to the office after my first few months.

I do get the feeling it is hard on the East Coast, like New York City where I turned down a position 18 years ago because they offered lower pay in one of the highest rent areas in the country.  Their solution was for me to live in the next state and take the train in but I did not want to sit on a train for 4 hours a day so I waited and landed a position closer to home.   I've also worked in Los Angeles where my commute was 23 miles but it took me over an hour each way.  I lived in Anaheim in the '90s when I was just getting started in IT.  I moved away because of my Fiance' and I wanted to have children but I wanted to be able to spend time with them before they went to bed. It took a while but we're in a pretty good spot now.

• skeleton567 wrote:

My best gift is another year with my wife of 40 years whom twice doctors gave up for lost, but who has survived and overcome bilateral below-knee amputation to become fully ambulatory on her prosthetics.  That's hard to beat.

Oh man, my heart goes out to both of you both for your courage and your love for each other.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• As to the question of what I'd like from work, the answer is for things to NOT change.  I'm one of the fortunate few in the world when it comes to my job (and it was a very long and sometimes painful time coming, but most of us go through that).

I work with great people on interesting work for great pay during great hours and the ability to frequently work from home and a commute so short that I could ride a unicycle to work without getting chaff marks.  I've actually turned down significantly higher paying jobs to stay right where I'm at.  It's truly my dream job.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• David.Poole wrote:

Article "Oiling the gears for the data dictionary (Part 2) " on the way.  Have a great New Year Steve

Thanks, and Happy New Year, David. Almost time to knock off over there.

• jarick 15608 wrote:

My daughter wants to become a DBA and is going to school for it now.  She tries to get me coffee mugs with either Star Wars or DBA themes.  I guess the best gift she gave me is that she wants to follow in my footsteps and become a DBA when most of my extended family think I fix computers and want me to work on their Windows machines when I visit.  I own a mac so I don't have to work on the OS all the time.  Thank God for SQL on Linux 🙂

Very cool. Hope she finds a way to make her passion a reality.

• skeleton567 wrote:

My best gift is another year with my wife of 40 years whom twice doctors gave up for lost, but who has survived and overcome bilateral below-knee amputation to become fully ambulatory on her prosthetics.  That's hard to beat.

an amazing gift

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply