Taking Quarantine Holiday

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Taking Quarantine Holiday

• Interesting question, Steve. I had some very big plans for this year, not related to taking time off, which this pandemic has thrown out the window. And I'm sure I'm like 98% of people whose plans have been discarded due to this pandemic.

On the other hand, I do feel like burnout is lurking around the corner. With the exception of the Martin Luther King holiday in January, I've had no time off. Not even a sick day. But when working from home, it doesn't seem right to take a sick day, even if you're sick. With so much uncertainty still ahead of us, I'd rather be seen as a team player than possibly perceived as a slacker, for taking a day off.

Rod

• The closures fell right on top of a family reunion plan, but, I went ahead and "took the time". I have to admit, it was nice for a week only to only have to log into work if something broke. Being a one man crew, its hard to justify taking time off, but I try to force myself at times to do it anyway.  I do think, being at home and unable to take the advantage of the commute time to make the transition between work and home, that taking a little more time off is advisable for mental stability. At least for my mental stability.

My company only allows a percentage of accrued time off to carry over to the next year, so I'm liking your idea of taking some long weekends over the next few months.

Luther

• I'd like to take a week long hike in the Appalachian mountains this fall after it gets cool.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I usually take a day or two off to make for a long weekend, or a holiday weekend or the week of Fourth of July off. My wife and I will take a long week off to go to the National Beagle Club Specialty Show. In 2012, the specialty show was at their national headquarters in Virginia; we took a side trip to the Smithsonian Udvar/Hazy Museum to see Space Shuttle Discovery. In 2016, it was in Florida, so we started off at Kennedy Space Center to see Atlantis. I don't know if we will be going to Ohio this September or not.

• I usually have a lot of long weekends away doing things that tend to eat up my yearly holiday. With most of those looking like they won't happen, I've booked a week off at the end of May with no plans. I'm going to spend a bit of time this weekend making a bit of a plan for it, but I think it's likely to be a few days just completely relaxing, and a day or two seriously taking stock of life, my career, my longer term goals.

It's something I'd been planning to do this year even before the virus hit (I can't remember having a week off work without any major plans before now) and a couple of weeks ago I started to feel seriously burned out so I spoke to my boss and arranged the time.

• We have / had a couple trips, long weekend sort of things, planned for over the summer and one big trip for Labor Day weekend.

Right now, we've cancelled the one weekend trip reservation to a B&B (owner understood our reasoning, this was just after the wife was laid off,) and the other is up in the air (camping trip up north.)

We're currently holding steady on our Labor trip (hotel reservation is made and was $0 pre-pay and no penalty cancellation up to about 2 weeks prior to travel,) but considering Atlanta a couple weeks ago announced they were not issuing any permits for events, which killed the parade the convention we're going to holds, we're half-expecting to hear the convention is cancelled.

In which case, I might still take a couple days off there, but that's it.

I've taken a few Fridays off through the lockdown, and while it helps some, it doesn't help in that there's not really much to DO except stuff around the house and it's hard to get motivated to paint a stairwell or laundry room...

• Doctor Who 2 wrote:

But when working from home, it doesn't seem right to take a sick day, even if you're sick. With so much uncertainty still ahead of us, I'd rather be seen as a team player than possibly perceived as a slacker, for taking a day off.

I used to feel this way, but I found that a) most people keep looking for someone else to take the first day, then they all will start doing it and b) it's important to rest yourself. The death march way of working has become a weird cult in the US, especially IT and it's not healthy.

I don't know your environment or management, but if you can't take a day off, it's not a good place to work.

• We are struggling to find places to go to camp. A lot of the places are still closed, but we're hoping some will start to open in June. Did book a week off yesterday, hoping that I'll be able to find somewhere to go. If not, more fixes/improvements/chores to do.

• Lots of reading getting done. My list of fiction read is getting bigger.

• I had a trip scheduled for the end of March that was cancelled due to the pandemic.  I haven't taken any other time off since the beginning of the year expect MLK day in January.

We can only carry over a week of PTO.  So I'm sure we are going to end up taking a lot of long weekends this year.

I miss the ocean....

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• My company only lets us accrue 120 hours. After that, they stop giving us vacation time until we use it. I took Wednesday off for the GroupBy online conference but that's the only vacation time I've taken since the start of the year. I can feel the burnout starting to creep up on me. I'll have to take a day here and there by June so I don't start losing vacation time but I plan to bank the majority for when there is actually something to do. I'll probably take a week sometime in the fall and then take the week of Christmas through New Years. That's my usual time anyway so nothing new there.

Here's hoping we all stay sane and safe through this.

• Burnout can certainly creep up, and I try to really get away from the computer on the weekends. Working this am because I took off a little early yesterday to shop and cook, but normally I try to avoid using the computer/devices on the weekend except for consumption.

Burnout can certainly creep up. I struggled early in my WFM career in stopping working. I'd go get a little thing done at night, Sat, Sun, etc.

I've been saving holiday, too, but I decided to just take some . We can only accrue 40 hours to carry over, so I have more push than some. I have a week in June off, and if we can't go, I'll do things around here. Certainly no shortage of home improvements I can make.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Doctor Who 2 wrote:

But when working from home, it doesn't seem right to take a sick day, even if you're sick. With so much uncertainty still ahead of us, I'd rather be seen as a team player than possibly perceived as a slacker, for taking a day off.

I used to feel this way, but I found that a) most people keep looking for someone else to take the first day, then they all will start doing it and b) it's important to rest yourself. The death march way of working has become a weird cult in the US, especially IT and it's not healthy.

I don't know your environment or management, but if you can't take a day off, it's not a good place to work.

Steve, I agree about being sick and working from home. But for me, it depends how bad the symptoms are to me.  If it was a lousy asthma night or day, then maybe I could work from home. If I had a return of pneumonia, there is no way that I would even feel like working from home.  There was a <AIR QUOTE>good side</AIR QUOTE> to pneumonia in that I was able to watch a lot of the Olympic gold medal matches/contests that were broadcast from Korea since sleeping was impossible.

• I agree with that. I've worked with minor colds and other illnesses that would have kept me out of an office, but laying in bed with a laptop isn't that hard.

However, I've also leaned rest is important and you do need to be able to take time off.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply