Taking Quarantine Holiday

• We had a cruise booked.  Then came a hard lock-down, so our cruise was cancelled.

We are confined to our homes - Only allowed to go out to purchase groceries or medical supplies, and only to the nearest store.  I wanted to go an extra mile to get a better selection of groceries, but was stopped in a road block, and sent back to my local.  Also, only 1 person per family - Don't get me started on the fights when a single mother of a toddler wants to go shopping.  She either has to leave the child alone at home, or leave the child in the car while she shops.

Now,I can take leave - But what do I do with it?

• Can't go anywhere.  Can't even take the family for a drive around my area.
    • Can't buy home improvement materials - Only in an emergency (burst water pipe, etc) can I get a registered tradesman to come and do the repairs, and he can then go and purchase the needed supplies.
    • My pool cleaner has been busted for 3 weeks now.  Can't get the parts to fix it.  Can't get a professional in to fix it either, because pools are not essential.
  • DesNorton wrote:

We had a cruise booked.  Then came a hard lock-down, so our cruise was cancelled.

We are confined to our homes - Only allowed to go out to purchase groceries or medical supplies, and only to the nearest store.  I wanted to go an extra mile to get a better selection of groceries, but was stopped in a road block, and sent back to my local.  Also, only 1 person per family - Don't get me started on the fights when a single mother of a toddler wants to go shopping.  She either has to leave the child alone at home, or leave the child in the car while she shops.

Now,I can take leave - But what do I do with it?

<li style="list-style-type: none;">

• Can't go anywhere.  Can't even take the family for a drive around my area.

• Can't buy home improvement materials - Only in an emergency (burst water pipe, etc) can I get a registered tradesman to come and do the repairs, and he can then go and purchase the needed supplies.

• My pool cleaner has been busted for 3 weeks now.  Can't get the parts to fix it.  Can't get a professional in to fix it either, because pools are not essential.

WOW!! My problems with this quarantine are nothing, compared to yours! I'm very sorry you have to put up with all of that.

Rod

• Doctor Who 2 wrote:

WOW!! My problems with this quarantine are nothing, compared to yours! I'm very sorry you have to put up with all of that.

Thanks Rod.

At the risk of turning this thread into a political rant, just a few of the issues that we have to deal with.  Yes, South Africa has a terrible record regarding racism and human rights.  We have a President that preaches equality, but our police and military seem to be singing from a completely different hymn sheet.

• We are only allowed to exercise outside of our properties between 06h00 and 09h00, and only within 5km (3miles) of your home.  If you are a shift worker and your shift covers that time ... Well, that's just tough luck for you.
    • 17000 people arrested for flouting lockdown laws (one even arrested for standing still during exercise time). 18000 convicted criminals being released on early parole to help prevent the spread of COVID in prisons.  These same prisoners have no jobs to go to - I wonder what they are going to support themselves ????
    • A man was beaten to death by the military on his own property for having a BBQ in his garage - The courts found them guilty - Police and Military bosses were ordered to provide operational instructions for there members.  The members involved in the beating are meant to be suspended - But in SA, that means that they will simply be deployed somewhere else.
    • Some local traffic police were following up on a report of somebody walking ion the beach during exercise time (not allowed to exercise on the beach or grass - must be in the road).  They entered a private property and manhandled a 6 year old child.  When the father tried to intervene he was arrested - The officers were cleared of wrong doing.
    • The state is promising to distribute food parcels to those who have no income, but they are falling woefully short - Arriving to a site with 100 food parcels when there are 5000 people waiting for food.  So community groups put together food parcels for distribution.
    • Politicians are caught on camera stopping distribution vehicles and offloading food parcels into private vehicles.
    • No food parcels have been distributed to "white" informal settlements.  When locals tried to deliver some food, they were arrested and the food confiscated.  The reason - Distributing of food to white people is not allowed.
    • The president announced that the state will be providing financial help to businesses and individuals that have lost everything due to COVID - BUT, it is based on race.  When applying for relief, whites are excluded.

The list goes on.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply