swap data between 3 fields?

• I've a table made up with 7 fields, and I'd like to be able to swap data between them, is this possible?

the table is as follows

date field1 field2 field3 field4 field5 field6

28/08/2008 jim Dave jim jim Dave Dave

29/08/2008 Dave Jim Jim Jim Dave Dave

What I'd like to do is some thing like swap Dave for Jim where date is 28/08/2008.

I thought of useing cursors and temp tables, but I don't seem to be able to get my head round it

• HI there,

Try this:

DECLARE @mytable TABLE

(date DATETIME,

Field1 VARCHAR(10),

Field2 VARCHAR(10),

Field3 VARCHAR(10),

Field4 VARCHAR(10),

Field5 VARCHAR(10),

Field6 VARCHAR(10))

INSERT INTO @mytable

SELECT '2008/08/28','jim','Dave','jim','jim','Dave','Dave' UNION

SELECT '2008/08/29','Dave','Jim','Jim','Jim','Dave','Dave'

SELECT *

FROM @mytable

UPDATE @mytable

SET

Field1 = CASE Field1 WHEN 'Jim' THEN 'Dave' WHEN 'Dave' THEN 'Jim' END,

Field2 = CASE Field2 WHEN 'Jim' THEN 'Dave' WHEN 'Dave' THEN 'Jim' END,

Field3 = CASE Field3 WHEN 'Jim' THEN 'Dave' WHEN 'Dave' THEN 'Jim' END,

Field4 = CASE Field4 WHEN 'Jim' THEN 'Dave' WHEN 'Dave' THEN 'Jim' END,

Field5 = CASE Field5 WHEN 'Jim' THEN 'Dave' WHEN 'Dave' THEN 'Jim' END,

Field6 = CASE Field6 WHEN 'Jim' THEN 'Dave' WHEN 'Dave' THEN 'Jim' END

WHERE date = '2008/08/28'

SELECT *

FROM @mytable

----------------------------------------------
    Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

:w00t:
    Posting Best Practices[/url]
    Numbers / Tally Tables[/url]

SQL-4-Life
  • Thanks Christopher, The only problem is at the moment there are 92 fields in the database and could grow, that's why I was thinking about using cursors. Is there another way, especially as I might not know the field names at the time of using this

• Do you really mean 92 Fields? or do you mean Rows?

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

SQL-4-Life
  • 92 fields

• HI Mike,

Well I guess if you know the name of the table then you will probably have to use dynamic SQL to get the column names to build an update statement.

I suppose another good question to ask is what is the actual situation for this problem.

Would it not be possible to simply make sure the data is entered corretly or perhaps another way to solve this issue?

thanks

Chris

SQL-4-Life
  • I've finally worked out how to do this in a stored procedure (posted below) the only problem I have is that when I pass in the two strings I'd like to swap within the row if the field it's currently looking at doesn't contain either of the 2 strings it makes that field NULL, anyone have any ideas?

CREATE PROCEDURE spNew_Swap_Areas_by_Date @sFrom as varchar(50), @sTO as varchar(50),@DATE AS VARCHAR(20)

AS

declare @sSQL as nvarchar(4000)

declare @column varchar(128)

declare col_cursor cursor

for

select column_name from information_schema.columns where table_name = 'TI_Work_New' AND COLUMN_NAME <> 'DATE1'

open col_cursor

fetch next from col_cursor into @column

while @@fetch_status = 0

begin

set @ssql = 'update ti_work_new SET [' + @column + '] = CASE [' + @column + '] WHEN ' + '''' + @sFrom + '''' + ' THEN ' + '''' + @sTO + '''' + ' WHEN ' + '''' + @sTO + '''' + ' THEN ' + '''' + @sFrom + '''' + ' END Where [date1] = ''' + @Date + ''' '

exec sp_executesql @ssql

fetch next from col_cursor into @column

end

close col_cursor

deallocate col_cursor

GO

• Mick,

You just need to add an additional where clause that checks the column value equal to either of the passed in values. That would prevent the update statement from updating any rows that do not have one of the values passed into the stored procedure.

• Thanks, I did think along those lines but just couldn't seem to get it right

• You want it to look like this:

UPDATE @mytable

SET

Field1 = CASE Field1 WHEN 'Jim' THEN 'Dave' WHEN 'Dave' THEN 'Jim' ELSE Field1 END,

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• many thanks for your solution, I'll try this out when I get into work on Monday

• Mick,

You've laid out what you want to do quite nicely. I won't get into the lecture on "normalizing" the data but what is the real data and why do you want to do the swap? It might make a difference. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff, it's for a problem at work, I'm not the normal DBA hence my lack of any real knowledge, it's just something I play with. I built a toolkit in VB6 which basically allocates up to 96 areas or regions of work to 10 different people, sometime I might want to switch each area between people in cases of leave or illness, the vb code and SP allow me to do this quite quickly

• Ah... got it... thanks for the feedback.

Still, if the table were properly normalized, this would be a piece of cake. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff, how do you mean normalised? I'm interested on your thoughts, although it's probably too late to change what I have now

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply