Surface Possibilities

• I've actually known a few people who were totally incapable of using a computer for their work, but who were good enough at their jobs that it was worth it to the company to have someone do the computer stuff for them. I couldn't care less if a multi-million-dollar-per-year salesperson can use e-mail or not, since the cost of an assistant can be soaked in the profits.

On the subject of the Surface computers, I think, like much technology, it will start out in entertainment, and then move into other applications.

Using one of those for RTS games would be very cool.

It might have some use in CAD, but it's going to be hard to take the place of a good stylus for that.

It will have more use in commercial retail outlets. There are, from what I hear, restaurants in Japan that have these on the table (waterproof and easy-clean, of course), where you pull up the menu on the tabletop, select what you want by dragging from the menu to a virtual plate, and then pay by placing a credit card on the table. Might not be true, yet, but it certainly has possibilites that way.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• This may be a duplicate comment (did not read all the posts so far) but as with all things, touch computing will be good for certain applications and or people like those doing presentations (no keyboard and or mouse to drag around with the screen) as well as instructors.

The key is to remember that along with all other new technolocgies, those who try to make the new tech work for all persons, places & things will find the thing far less accepeted then targeting the users that will take advantage of what touch computing offers.

Touch computing should be viewed (IMHO) as an alternative to the keyboard & mouse and not as a new computing platform per say.

Touch Computing will be great for Kiosk type environments from tourist places (Hotels, Theme Parks, ect) to govermental locations (Libraries, Schools, ect) to anything where visitors/attendees can benefit from computer like access that is fixed (prevent hacking and the like). Not that Touch Computing will make hacking impossible, only that if you put out 2 kiosks and one has a keyboard & mouse while the other a touch computing screen, I bet the individual intent on damaging the kiosk will go after the keyboard & mouse setup.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • mhaskins (1/19/2009)

jpowers (1/19/2009)

Even as recently as the early 1990's I knew of managers who insisted their assistants print out their emails.

That is pretty gross.

C'MON, RETIRE PEOPLE!

Heh... I've gotta ask... did you know that Paul McCartney was in another group before Wings? 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Wings? Paul McCartney? Was he in Led Zeppelin? 😀

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/21/2009)

Wings? Paul McCartney? Was he in Led Zeppelin? 😀

No, he just thought Robert Plant should be...as reported here!

BTW, billboards in the UK are currently reminding people of the band "The Quarrymen", although "remind" is probably the wrong word :)!

Derek

• Jeff Moden (1/20/2009)

mhaskins (1/19/2009)

jpowers (1/19/2009)

Even as recently as the early 1990's I knew of managers who insisted their assistants print out their emails.

That is pretty gross.

C'MON, RETIRE PEOPLE!

Heh... I've gotta ask... did you know that Paul McCartney was in another group before Wings? 😛

Yes, I had noticed that. But no, I was not around in 1964 when they came to the US.

Did you know that Senator Kennedy is 76, has an active brain tumor, and can't wait to get back to work on US law-making after his seizure on Obama's inauguration day. I wonder who prints out HIS emails.

More people should retire.

Mia

I have come to the conclusion that the top man has one principle responsibility: to provide an atmosphere in which creative mavericks can do useful work.
    -- David M. Ogilvy

• Send huge amounts of money or the winning Mega-Bucks lottery ticket and I'll start writing my memoirs! 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I would hope that less and less emails are being printed. I worked with a company that got hundreds of faxes a day, and printed them out. After a few years, we slowly got people used to working online since most of them didn't need to be printed.

Of course we did have to be ready to print if the system had issues.

I would see executives playing with surface, especially as the screens get larger. That might be fun to get setup for people that need to access and view a lot of information, but not necessarily respond to it.

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/22/2009)

I would hope that less and less emails are being printed. I worked with a company that got hundreds of faxes a day, and printed them out. After a few years, we slowly got people used to working online since most of them didn't need to be printed.

Of course we did have to be ready to print if the system had issues.

I would see executives playing with surface, especially as the screens get larger. That might be fun to get setup for people that need to access and view a lot of information, but not necessarily respond to it.

I can see it now - giant conference room table, with a surface screen at each seat, all the executives playing on their Surface rather than their blackberries, patently ignoring the presentation. Progress!

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Hey if they want to play on their surface computers, we can probably avoid the presentations altogether!

And they don't listen anyway. We're usually ignored.

• I could definitely see Surface impacting the conference room, especially when you are trying to engage in a working session amongst technology folks and subject matter experts. Even a Rapid Application Development approach would benefit.

As far as printing e-mails. Yea, we probably don't see it as much, but I recall a presentation from Bill Inmon, the self-proclaimed Father of Data Warehousing. He reference a client of his that felt the need to keep every e-mail. They had no rules about which e-mails to keep, so out of fear, they kept all of them! At the point he was there, they were allocating over 1 million dollars per year just to the maintenance and upgrade of the SAN used to house them all!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply