Sudden growth in mdf file

• Please assist I have faced a sharp growth in the size of my primary data file on SQL Server 2016.How can I identify the cause of the issue.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris

• You can trace filegrowth with extended events https://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/finding-file-growths-with-extended-events

• Extended events will allow you to capture future file growths, but if you need to investigate file growths that have already happened, you can try to look at the default trace to see what caused the file growth:

SELECT td.DatabaseName, td.Filename, te.name AS Event, (IntegerData*8)/1024 AS Change_MB, td.StartTime, (Duration/1000) AS Duration_sec,
    td.LoginName, td.HostName, td.ApplicationName, td.spid, td.ClientProcessID, td.IsSystem, td.SqlHandle, td.TextData
    FROM sys.traces t
    CROSS APPLY ::fn_trace_gettable(t.path, default) td
    INNER JOIN sys.trace_events te ON td.EventClass = te.trace_event_id
    WHERE t.is_default = 1
    AND td.EventClass IN (92,93)
    ORDER BY td.StartTime DESC;

note, EventClass 92 is "Data File Auto Grow"

and EventClass 93 is "Log File Auto Grow"

• Also - verify your auto growth settings.  They should be a fixed size in MB and not set to the default percentage (or default 1MB which is way too small).

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Last but not least, is the extra space "unallocated" or "unused"?  If it's "unallocated", it could be from a recent index rebuild.  If it's "unused", you might want to lookup Trace Flag 692.

I also agree with checking on the growth factors as folks pointed out above.  They need to be set to MB instead of percent.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Enquiring minds want to know... what did you find out?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• he finding was that there was an audit trail function that was enable and contributing to datbase growth.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris

• kapfundestanley wrote:

he finding was that there was an audit trail function that was enable and contributing to datbase growth.

How'd you figure that out and what was the "audit trail function" that you speak of?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply