Star Wars

• I'm thinking of letting my eldest watch Star Wars as I loved it as a kid, but I was wondering at what age other have let their kids watch it and in what order?

I was thinking in the original order i.e. 4,5,6,1,2,3

He'll be 5 soon, what do people think?

Hope this helps,
    Rich

[p]
    [/p]

• Maybe a bit young to see 4-5 billion people killed...

• Well your avatar did it!

Hope this helps,
    Rich

[p]
    [/p]

• He IS the movie :w00t:.

Hence he didn't watch it untill much later in his life. 😀

• It came out when I was 9, so that's when I saw it (10 times).

I think my son watched it at 6 or 7, but my daughter managed to see it on DVD then as well, 2 years younger.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Not a ton of violence, and it seems so fantastic that I think that it's lost somewhat on kids that age.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/29/2010)

It came out when I was 9, so that's when I saw it (10 times).

I think my son watched it at 6 or 7, but my daughter managed to see it on DVD then as well, 2 years younger.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Not a ton of violence, and it seems so fantastic that I think that it's lost somewhat on kids that age.

Ya but look how we turned out??

Do you really wish that on your kids :hehe:?

• When Starship Troopers first came out, I wanted to see it, since i had read the book a long time ago...

took my kids to see it when they were 8 years old...I thought that was a bit too gory for them (after the fact).

they start speaking agian a coupla weeks later, so I guess they came out just fine.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• My 8 year old has seen the movies at least 4 times, and has a ton of Star Wars Lego sets. He loves it. We also play Lego Starwars on the PS3. I would watch them in the episode order, not production order. The violence is pretty cartoonish, and a lot of it is between robots rather than people.

• I think the only way to watch them is in the production order. Otherwise the surprise of Darth Vader being Luke's father is spoiled. As is, Leila being Luke's sister.

Do you let your child see the news? There's violence there also. I think it's all about upbringing...does your child know the difference between movie 'pretend' and real-life? (this is an honest question - some children do take longer to realize there is a difference).

Personally, I think people use movies and violent games as an 'excuse'. That way they don't have to take blame for their actions... We have been, and still are, in the age of the victim where it is always the fault of someone or something else....

-SQLBill

• My 4 and 3 yr olds watch episodes 4,5,6,1, and 2 on a regular basis. I haven't let them watch the DVD for 3 yet due to the burning at the end (and the slaughter of the younglings).

They know the movies quite well.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Sorry, have to add my 2 cents in on this. I'm dating myself when i say this, I was about 7 when we went to the movies to see Jaws. According to my psychologist, it didn't affect me at all!!!:-:-D

• Richard.Westhaver (12/6/2010)

Sorry, have to add my 2 cents in on this. I'm dating myself when i say this, I was about 7 when we went to the movies to see Jaws. According to my psychologist, it didn't affect me at all!!!:-:-D

I have a similar experience with that SAME movie. Except - it was the in-flight movie for my first intercontinental flight to Europe!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Was it playing while you were over the Atlantic?

🙂

• Richard.Westhaver (12/6/2010)

Was it playing while you were over the Atlantic?

🙂

yep!

Nothing like going to the beach the following year and asking my parents:

"Is that the same ocean where the shark is Pa????"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I would wait till your kids are around 10 to let them see it...

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply