SSC Forum Updates

• I like it thus far!

• Formatted SQL code that is wider than the display box does not wrap.  There are scroll bars, but they only seem to work if you highlight text and keep going.  It would be nice to be able to click on the scrollbar arrows, or drag the scrollbar indicator.

See this post
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1843170.aspx

• I think the new look is very good. One thing I haven't been able to find yet is where to report a spam post - found 3 here as soon I as logged in, replied saying they are reported, then couldn't find how to do it !! :crazy::crazy::crazy:

ETA - scratch that - I've found it

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• robert.chipperfield - Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:22 AM

DamianC - Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:19 AM

I seem to be getting notifications from threads that I have not subscribed to (such as this one)
    Is there another setting I need to apply?

Thanks

Can you forward them to me (robert.chipperfield@red-gate.com) and I'll take a look?

Thanks!
    Rob

I think it is ok now, just testing.
    All good if you unsubscribe via the e-mail
    Seems to take a while if you do it via the forum
    Thanks

- Damian

• A nice to have, but when using the IFCode tags with SQL, starting a line with -- doesn't display the text in the comments colour. Wrapped in /* */ works fine.
    --This is a comment

/*
    These are also comments
    Look at us in green our lovely Pea green.
    */

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Select forums. Click your name to open up your member overview. Scroll down a bit to see some tabs headed up 'Topics' and 'Replies'. There's posts you started and posts you commented on

- Damian

• SQLBill - Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:07 PM

In the old format, when I was in Forums, there was a My Posts link at the top.  Does that exist now? If so where is it?

-SQLBill

Select forums. Click your name to open up your member overview. Scroll down a bit to see some tabs headed up 'Topics' and 'Replies'. There's posts you started and posts you commented on

- Damian

• Okay, this is aggravating. I think I emailed about this issue in beta, but it's still happening.

When writing a long post, the post doesn't auto scroll with one's typing. Especially if I hit ENTER to go down lines, once the words / lines fill up the box, I get a scroll bar on the right but can no longer see what I'm typing. I have to stop in the middle of a paragraph or thought to manually scroll the bar down to what I'm writing so I can see it and verify there are no typos.

Please fix this. It is more than aggravating and annoying. It could potentially cause people to think they've run out of space for their post or worse, cause they to start filling up the screen with typos or multiple versions of what they're saying because they don't realize the system is still accepting their typing / pasting.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Additional issue, use of superscript in IF Code.

I highlighted a number I wanted to superscript and chose superscript from the IF Code in the formatting toolbar. It copied and pasted the entire line that the number was in at the spot I had highlighted and put the code around it. I didn't want to superscript the entire line, just a single character (which was the number 2), but it copied it all even though I didn't have it highlighted.

Here's an example. I'm going to superscript the 2 in the below line, but not correct the IF Code.

*(ISC)*(ISC)2 Official Study Guide Official Study Guide

Odd. Copy and paste is also not working correctly. I went to overwrite a highlighted word (SuperScript) by copying "superscript" from a line below. I copied the word, highlighted the word I wanted to replace, and the copied word placed itself right beside it instead of overwriting it. This is using CNTL-C and CNTL-P on the keyboard. Example below.

SuperScriptsuperscript

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Friday, January 13, 2017 7:02 AM

Okay, this is aggravating. I think I emailed about this issue in beta, but it's still happening.

When writing a long post, the post doesn't auto scroll with one's typing. Especially if I hit ENTER to go down lines, once the words / lines fill up the box, I get a scroll bar on the right but can no longer see what I'm typing. I have to stop in the middle of a paragraph or thought to manually scroll the bar down to what I'm writing so I can see it and verify there are no typos.

Please fix this. It is more than aggravating and annoying. It could potentially cause people to think they've run out of space for their post or worse, cause they to start filling up the screen with typos or multiple versions of what they're saying because they don't realize the system is still accepting their typing / pasting.

We'll take a look - although in my testing, as soon as I start typing again, it scrolls to the right place (still not ideal, I agree, but avoids you needing to manually scroll) - do you get that behaviour too?

• James Billings, Redgate - Friday, January 13, 2017 7:42 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Friday, January 13, 2017 7:02 AM

Okay, this is aggravating. I think I emailed about this issue in beta, but it's still happening.

We'll take a look - although in my testing, as soon as I start typing again, it scrolls to the right place (still not ideal, I agree, but avoids you needing to manually scroll) - do you get that behaviour too?

I just tested it, and yes I do.

• The 'word wrap' (or removal of) is doing some odd things to code.
    eg https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1850494.aspx

And having spaces lost like that makes it really tricky to reformat the code, as SQLPrompt throws up over it (syntax errors)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Brandie Tarvin - Friday, January 13, 2017 7:50 AM

James Billings, Redgate - Friday, January 13, 2017 7:42 AM

I just tested it, and yes I do.

OK, that's not so bad- but I'll add to Jira that we look at the scrolling to try and fix it properly

• Brandie Tarvin - Friday, January 13, 2017 7:02 AM

Same here.

Carriage return also (frequently) doesn't seem to register. It just appears to hang at the end of the sentence as the text marker doesn't move

Preview doesn't always match what I've typed - sometimes it misses the last few keystrokes; either text additions or deletions

I've also (and this is the 3rd time this has happened) just created a new post, got very near completion and the whole post has disappeared
    Tried back a page and refresh with no success
    Now having to retype...

How do you format code now?
    I used to just use copy and paste between code markers
    Code markers work but the formatting doesn't work and it just looks awful; one long string
    Suspect I am missing something so advice would be appreciated

Thanks

- Damian

• DamianC - Friday, January 13, 2017 8:26 AM

How do you format code now?
    I used to just use copy and paste between code markers
    Code markers work but the formatting doesn't work and it just looks awful; one long string
    Suspect I am missing something so advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Depends what's your typing. For example code="sql", code="vb", code="plain". I'm not sure there's any difference in the languages right now though.
    --This should be a comment, but is not
    /*These are comments and work
    (btw I am using non shortend words, as that causes colouring errors too)
    Here is  a simple SELECT Statement*/
    SELECT *
    FROM Table1 T
    WHERE T.DATE = CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE);

'This is some VB Code
    dim strAddress as string
    'For some reason, code thinks the above is in a quotation
    dim intZip as int

strAddress = "13 Test Road"
    strAddress = strAddress & "Big Town"
    intZip = 12345

Plain does the same as above, but that is intentional.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 224 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply