SSC Forum Updates

• Sue_H - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:19 PM

Brandie Tarvin - Monday, January 23, 2017 9:40 AM

I have this weird issue where when I'm quoting someone or copying and pasting something, I try to delete (or maybe it's backspace) and for some reason the cursor moves a space forward instead of backward.

I have yet to identify the complete sequence of key strokes that leads to this, but I did want to post about it in case anyone else is having this issue.

Yup...I've been dealing with the same pretty consistently. For me, it seems to be the backspace and it's as if it leaves other characters behind, not just that moving forwards instead of back thing. I can't figure it out. I can't type a single sentence without misspelling so it's a bit of a challenge.

Sue

Oh, yeah. It does that other stuff to me as well. Thank you for confirming this.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• drew.allen - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:13 PM

Hugo Kornelis - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:36 PM

I just tried to reply to the word of the day thread. When I hit reply I saw an error message at the top of the screen - that happened before and I could still post so I continued, but now I got the dreaded internal server error.
    Hit the back button, hit reply again. Unlike last time, my reply was not saved; I got the quote and an empty area below that.Types my reply again, posted - again the error.
    Hit back once more, did a forced hard-refresh, then replied ; typed my replyl posted -  worked. Except that now I appear to have posted a single message with the same content three times....

(I could edit it, but figured it might help troubleshooting to see it so I left it as is)

And here I thought that you had done it on purpose as a play on your word. 😀

Drew

Heh - I thought the same thing.  I deliberately eliminated the duplication in my reply.

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:03 AM

Sue_H - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:19 PM

Brandie Tarvin - Monday, January 23, 2017 9:40 AM

I have this weird issue where when I'm quoting someone or copying and pasting something, I try to delete (or maybe it's backspace) and for some reason the cursor moves a space forward instead of backward.

I have yet to identify the complete sequence of key strokes that leads to this, but I did want to post about it in case anyone else is having this issue.

Yup...I've been dealing with the same pretty consistently. For me, it seems to be the backspace and it's as if it leaves other characters behind, not just that moving forwards instead of back thing. I can't figure it out. I can't type a single sentence without misspelling so it's a bit of a challenge.

Sue

Oh, yeah. It does that other stuff to me as well. Thank you for confirming this.

Yeah, it's still doing it. It's something other than just backspace key alone.  There's some combination that causes it to happen and I'm pretty sure it involves backspace, but I haven't figured out the other part yet.

• Seriously annoyed this morning. Yesterday I was working on the contributions page (http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Contributions/Home) and tried numerous times to click "Save as Draft". Not a whole lot happened (no messages popped up, the screen didn't change, etc.) but I thought the save button was working anyway.

I go back to my contributions page today and the article (which was titled) was NOT THERE. All the work I did yesterday is gone and now I have to start from scratch again. What the heck is going on with this? Why isn't the Save as Draft button working?

Using IE 11. I did click the two verification buttons at the bottom (My own work / I agree to terms) before clicking the Save button. So why didn't it save?

Also, why do I have to manually resize the contribution window instead of it auto-sizing to my screen? Having a window only covering a quarter of my screen real estate is frustrating and I almost didn't realize it had to be manually adjusted.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:09 AM

Seriously annoyed this morning. Yesterday I was working on the contributions page (http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Contributions/Home) and tried numerous times to click "Save as Draft". Not a whole lot happened (no messages popped up, the screen didn't change, etc.) but I thought the save button was working anyway.

I go back to my contributions page today and the article (which was titled) was NOT THERE. All the work I did yesterday is gone and now I have to start from scratch again. What the heck is going on with this? Why isn't the Save as Draft button working?

Using IE 11. I did click the two verification buttons at the bottom (My own work / I agree to terms) before clicking the Save button. So why didn't it save?

Also, why do I have to manually resize the contribution window instead of it auto-sizing to my screen? Having a window only covering a quarter of my screen real estate is frustrating and I almost didn't realize it had to be manually adjusted.

And for all my frustration, this morning the Save as Draft works. I don't know what is going on, but now it's working.

Seriously annoyed this morning. Yesterday I was working on the contributions page (http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Contributions/Home) and tried numerous times to click "Save as Draft". Not a whole lot happened (no messages popped up, the screen didn't change, etc.) but I thought the save button was working anyway.

Sorry about this Brandie. We've not been working on that section of the site, and there have been no changes to the codebase there. What you're describing sounds like a network outage - we've looked and nothing was submitted to the database, so unfortunately we can't recover it for you.

Re: the appearance of the editor, yep it sucks. It's due to be overhauled this year, hopefully. I'll see if there's a quick fix to change the width, although when we looked at this previously it's tended to break the editing icons.
  • Dave Convery - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:46 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:09 AM

Sorry about this Brandie. We've not been working on that section of the site, and there have been no changes to the codebase there. What you're describing sounds like a network outage - we've looked and nothing was submitted to the database, so unfortunately we can't recover it for you.

Re: the appearance of the editor, yep it sucks. It's due to be overhauled this year, hopefully. I'll see if there's a quick fix to change the width, although when we looked at this previously it's tended to break the editing icons.

In the recent past, the way I got things to work on the contributions page was to add SSC to the "Compatability View Settings" for the session.  You have to turn that back off for the forums to work correctly.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Re: Copy and paste in IE. We've spent a lot of time looking at this now and can't find a suitable solution that will work with IE without triggering IE's security alerts. This is down to the interoperability formatting Microsoft include when you copy from one of their programs (the MSO classes that appear when you paste).

One solution is to install this program, which allows you to create a custom hotkey that will paste without the formatting: http://stevemiller.net/puretext/. If you don't want to or don't have the permissions to do that, pasting from SSMS into notepad (or any other plaintext editor) before posting will strip the Microsoft formatting from the code but leave spacing preserved.

We realise that this isn't ideal in any way, but we need to freeze work on this section for now - we're reviewing a fix for this coming up in the fulll 2017 release of Instant Forum.

This should be fixed now.

• Posting SQL code has several issues:
    1) If you place IFC first and then paste the code the opening {code} disappears
    2) Drop-down placement for IFC is extremely uncomfortable. "Insert" is always at the bottom of the screen, and the list goes down - always outside of the visible area.
    3) Formatting is removed from the code straight away. There is no way to preserve tabs, spaces, colours, etc. 

You may recreate formatting from scratch using "Format" button, but it seems like wasting everyone's time.

Commonly used buttons, like "SQL Code" deserve to have their own button, outside the "Insert" list.
    But ideally - it would be good to see the "Insert" list back where it was - on the left, under the avatar.
    But not like it was (all codes bound together).

And - please-please-please!
    Make the letters bigger comparing to the decor elements and huge empty spaces everywhere.
    My eyes are really aching from reading the forum.

A small post of 2 or 3 rows occupies the whole screen.
    Is there any good reason for that?

• Strange, when I try this link to a thread https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1853845.aspx I get an error that the topic cannot be accessed but this here is fine https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1852932/Comma-separated-list#bm1853853

Has that specific post been deleted?
    😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 11:30 PM

Strange, when I try this link to a thread https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1853845.aspx I get an error that the topic cannot be accessed but this here is fine https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1852932/Comma-separated-list#bm1853853

Has that specific post been deleted?
    😎

I don't have permission to query the live database directly, but that seems the most likely explanation.

You'll see in your first link you're looking for the post with ID 1853845 and it fails. Your second link is looking for the *topic* 1852932 and the post 1853853. That works, as the post exists. You should also find that http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1853853.aspx works, and takes you to the right post in the topic.

• Sergiy - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:39 PM

Posting SQL code has several issues:
    2) Drop-down placement for IFC is extremely uncomfortable. "Insert" is always at the bottom of the screen, and the list goes down - always outside of the visible area.
    3) Formatting is removed from the code straight away. There is no way to preserve tabs, spaces, colours, etc. 

You may recreate formatting from scratch using "Format" button, but it seems like wasting everyone's time.

Commonly used buttons, like "SQL Code" deserve to have their own button, outside the "Insert" list.
    But ideally - it would be good to see the "Insert" list back where it was - on the left, under the avatar.

Make the letters bigger comparing to the decor elements and huge empty spaces everywhere.

Although I agree that the SQL code doesn't look great at the moment, it does have it's own button.

Perhaps you haven't CTRL+F5'd in a while? 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Sergiy - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:39 PM

Posting SQL code has several issues:

I couldn't agree more on the SQL Code button. +1M
    Regarding the zoom, you may be able to help yourself until it gets addressed.  I don't know what browser you're using, but try the zoom.  Ctrl + on Firefox.
    When you hit reply, the text area (that I'm typing in right now) starts off with a couple of empty lines and a space.  When I click Reply, I hit backspace 3 times to clear out the unwanted spaces.

I figure these things will get addressed eventually.  Until that happens, I hope this helps.

• I'm going to close this thread, thanks to everyone here for giving the tyres/tires a thorough kicking. We know that there are some things that aren't 100% yet, particularly the text editor in IE. There is a new release of the forum software we're expecting soon, so we don't want to diverge much further from the codebase (especially as it's meant to address some of the issues raised here).

(There are some workarounds over here for some of the issues IE users have been seeing)

Anything else that comes up, just post to https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/SQLServerCentralcom/SQLServerCentralcom-Website-Issues

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 224 (of 224 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply