SQL Server DBA training.

• Hello everyone, I have a question about the SQL Server training. I have been working as a IT helpdesk for couple of years but started PT dba work since I work for a small company and we don't have a DBA here. There are 5 people in IT and I have shown interest in learning more about databases so my manager has asked me find some training. But I don't want to sign up for just a basic DBA training. I have a test environment which I use to test different ways of how sql server behaves. For learning purposes, I have scheduled backups, have done restore and point in time recovery, AG, failover, I have also tested affects of too many VLFs by inserting millions of rows into a table, I have created indexes to see how query is performing etc.. Long story short, I have learned decent amount of work in past 6 - 8 months. Anyways, the purpose for my story is that I dont want my company to pay 3000 or 4000 for the training and they teach me the same thing I either have learned on my own or I can learn on my own. Can I get some guidance on what to do or what to learn? Which training I should get? What's the future for DBAs? I do want to enhance my career but don't know where to start? Any help....

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I wouldn't know what to do with a $,$$$ training budget, even if I had it. Microsoft publishes books for the self study of certification exams. They include a DVD with simulations and practice exams.
    For example:   https://www.amazon.com/Training-70-462-Administering-Microsoft-Databases/dp/0735666075

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Sounds to me like you are already a junior DBA with all of that self-training you have done 🙂

My open letter to Junior DBAs:
    http://wp.me/p7ZdwT-4i
    I also have a number of 'SQL 101' posts from years ago that explain SQL concepts in non-technical terms.

Microsoft Virtual Academy online is free and very helpful, as well.

Any blog or post that include the term "Accidental DBA" is probably going to help you as well.

Installations and Security don't appear in your list above...(hint...)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

• It sounds like you're well on the way already!

I have no personal interest in the company, but if you can do some self-paced studying, I really like Brent Ozar's training courses and blog- https://learnfrom.brentozar.com/ . How To Think Like The SQL Server Engine is actually free now ( https://learnfrom.brentozar.com/product/how-to-think-like-the-engine-an-introduction-to-sql-server-internals/ ), and it's really worth a look, as is the course about statistics.

I second the recommendation about Microsoft Virtual Academy as well. Also, maybe have a look at the Microsoft Connect output from November 2016, to keep an eye on what's new and what's coming up: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Connect/2016?sort=status&direction=desc Some of it is a little abstruse, but there are a few interesting things in there. You can filter by SQL Server.

• I second Beatrix's recommendation on Brent Ozar's training.  I've been going through a number of them the past few months and even after working with SQL Server for a decade I've still learned new things from them.

• Beatrix Kiddo - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 7:20 AM

It sounds like you're well on the way already!

I have no personal interest in the company, but if you can do some self-paced studying, I really like Brent Ozar's training courses and blog- https://learnfrom.brentozar.com/ . How To Think Like The SQL Server Engine is actually free now ( https://learnfrom.brentozar.com/product/how-to-think-like-the-engine-an-introduction-to-sql-server-internals/ ), and it's really worth a look, as is the course about statistics.

I second the recommendation about Microsoft Virtual Academy as well. Also, maybe have a look at the Microsoft Connect output from November 2016, to keep an eye on what's new and what's coming up: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Connect/2016?sort=status&direction=desc Some of it is a little abstruse, but there are a few interesting things in there. You can filter by SQL Server.

Thanks everyone for the reply. I have just finished some development course through MVA and I am also enrolling myself in a training program from Brent Ozar. I was thinking about getting some Azure training but I am not sure if this is a good idea.

• newdba2017 - Wednesday, February 8, 2017 11:04 AM

I was thinking about getting some Azure training but I am not sure if this is a good idea.

It is.  Azure (and other cloud providers) will only get more popular, not less.   get ahead of the competition 🙂

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

• I'd say do your research carefully when it comes to Azure courses, because I've had trouble finding any that are specifically relevant to DBAs. I attended a week long Microsoft course a few months ago  called Implementing Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Solutions, which you can tell from the name isn't a DBA course really, but it was the closest fit I could find. About 1 hour of the whole week was spent on databases, and much of the rest was spent on the deprecated Classic technology. (Again, fine, they didn't state that it was a DBA course so that's not the issue, but you might want to save your money in case you're considering doing it and think it might be).

• The IT Training site https://www.pluralsight.com/  includes tests you can take that rate your proficiency and recommend training videos on the areas you would benefit learning more on.   That's a great way to avoid wasting your employer's money on training in areas you already know.

Correction: I just looked and they don't have a "measure skill" test for SQL Server.  The one I did was for Powershell.  There are still excellent videos on SQL Server, and other areas you may work in at your job. 

• I cannot speak for anyone else but my recommendation is... don't settle for being "just" a DBA.  I have no degrees (although I've 4.0'd every college course I've ever taken including Calculus II), I have no certifications, and I've only ever attended one bought and paid for training course (it was on the basics at the beginning and it was pretty useless).  I don't know much about XML (although I've started some self-training there recently), I avoid PowerShell (unless I find something really useful that I can't do any other way), SSIS (really good at converting packages to procedures, though), SSRS, SSAS, heterogeneous data, and the cloud.  I've never setup AG, Replication (well, once and then wrote a substitute for it because I hated it), Mirroring, Federated Servers, Failover Clusters, or a host of other things that you seem to have already done.  And it's been literally decades since I've had to set up something like a Doman Controller and I don't know how to even spell IIS or how to setup an email server.

With such a poor SQL Server pedigree, you might wonder how I manage to survive and, in light of the cloud and things like PowerShell, how I'll continue to survive.  The answer is that writing code in the language of the database itself is going to be a long time coming before it goes out of style or falls out of demand (which is actually growing by leaps and bounds).  Perhaps it will change in the future but they've predicted the doom of people like me for nearly two decades and, yet, I still get several calls a week asking if I'd be interested in a position at a different company.

To put it all much shorter and speaking from personal experience... if you couple your current knowledge of systems along with arcane "Black Arts" master-level knowledge of T-SQL (the language, database design/structures, ETL (without SSIS 😉 ), and everything having to do with accuracy and performance), you'll always be in high demand no matter where they put the bloody databases. 😉  Knowing how to communicate with people also goes a long way.  If you really want to take a course that will serve you well, take a course or two on how to be an effective instructor/presenter.

You won't get a certificate for it but the best training in the world is to research and answer questions like those posted on forums like this one.  No where else will you be exposed to such a wide variety of real, worldly problems and experts that can solve them.  It's how I taught myself and I thank my lucky stars for those that take the time to post answers and articles.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, February 9, 2017 8:50 PM

I cannot speak for anyone else but my recommendation is... don't settle for being "just" a DBA.  

True.  

However, if you get into T-SQL, or PowerShell, or anything else and you don't like it...don't be afraid to learn something else.  Whenever you learn something, try to learn it from the perspective of how you would teach it to someone else down the road 🙂

Find your favorite part of the IT world and pursue being a SME in it, and people will eventually start throwing money at you to do things you really enjoy!

• Kevin3NF - Friday, February 10, 2017 5:42 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, February 9, 2017 8:50 PM

I cannot speak for anyone else but my recommendation is... don't settle for being "just" a DBA.  

True.  

However, if you get into T-SQL, or PowerShell, or anything else and you don't like it...don't be afraid to learn something else.  Whenever you learn something, try to learn it from the perspective of how you would teach it to someone else down the road 🙂

Find your favorite part of the IT world and pursue being a SME in it, and people will eventually start throwing money at you to do things you really enjoy!

True but I was only speaking of the world of SQL Server because the OP seems to have a passion for it.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Friday, February 10, 2017 7:37 AM

True but I was only speaking of the world of SQL Server because the OP seems to have a passion for it.

Same here...Don't like T-SQL, go for DBA, or BI, or SSRS, or Azure, or Datalake/USQL, or.........
    So many options to choose from just within SQL 🙂

• Kevin3NF - Friday, February 10, 2017 8:09 AM

Jeff Moden - Friday, February 10, 2017 7:37 AM

Same here...Don't like T-SQL, go for DBA, or BI, or SSRS, or Azure, or Datalake/USQL, or.........
    So many options to choose from just within SQL 🙂

I'll submit that if you don't like T-SQL, you probably shouldn't be a DBA or any of those other things. 😉

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply