SQL Server 2017 for Linux first impression

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server 2017 for Linux first impression

• Also, along with SQL Server R services, the new SQL Server Python services is not supported on Linux.

• Have you tried it on any distros other than redhat?  Or is that all that's supported?

• https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/linux/sql-server-linux-release-notes has the supported platforms.

Cheers!

• ZZartin - Monday, March 26, 2018 12:09 PM

Have you tried it on any distros other than redhat?  Or is that all that's supported?

No, I haven't tried it on other Linux platforms. Anyway Microsoft only supports 3 platforms: Red Hat, SUSE, and Ubuntu. Even more it supports only certain versions of these platforms - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/sql/linux/sql-server-linux-setup#system Red Hat is the most popular one.

• ZZartin - Monday, March 26, 2018 12:09 PM

Have you tried it on any distros other than redhat?  Or is that all that's supported?

You can use CentOS - it is the community version of Redhat. And you can download a pre-built VM you can use in VirtualBox.
    There is an in-depth write-up about SQL Server on Linux over at Redmond Magazine:  https://redmondmag.com/articles/2017/03/01/open-but-not-equal.aspx.

The more you are prepared, the less you need it.

• I have been testing SQL Server on Ubuntu and have to say the experience is a very comfortable one.  It is true that the amount of features available at the moment is limited but I have the most important features available (important to me anyway).  Full-text search, Integration Services and Clustering (including High Availability Groups) are there.  
    The comparison to the Oracle Universal Installer I don't find to be a good one.  Anyone that has worked with Oracle on a Windows platform will know what a problematic environment it is, especially when using it on NTFS.  With ASM it is an improvement but still, try implementing RAC and tell me that the OUI is a good reason to slate SQL Server because of the installation routine.  Operative work is normally conducted in the Enterprise Manager (or the new Cloud Control) or at the command prompt in SQL Plus where most Oracle DBAs do their work.  To that end, I see the OUI as nothing more than a means to get Oracle from the DVD to the harddisk.

The entire installation routine can be scripted and I have found that to be a very useful thing.  It means that I can created a single script and let it run:  There is little to no configuration options in the routine at the moment.  Even without the script it is fast, efficient and uncomplicated once you have the command in your grasp.

What I really don't like:  There is an enormous amount of work to be carried out once the installation routine is finished.  Options such as setting the installation folders (.mdf, .ldf and backup folders) have to be manually completed and that takes time.

What I really do like:  I can connect to a Linux hosted SQL Server from the SSMS on a Windows machine as easily as before.  Obviously, the version of the SSMS has to be compatible with Linux naming conventions although I think that started with v17.1.

What I would recommend:  Firstly start with an open mind.  The Windows/Linux and SQL Server/Oracle communities are still, even now, very much working against each other and that hinders personal development greatly.  Secondly, take the time to understand the aspects of Linux that SQL Server touches.  Understand the naming conventions, file and folder structure and the difference between service-based software(Windows) and process-based (Linux).

Being someone that has worked with both RDBMSs (Including Oracle on Windows and Solaris) I can say that once SQL Server is installed on Linux the experience is much more comfortable than Oracle on Windows.  Where I am hosting simple databases with no extraordinary functionality I have found it to be comparable (or faster) on Linux as I managed to demonstrate with a test Oracle Service Bus staging database on SQL Server, a highly transactional environment.

I really believe that there is a future with SQL Server on Linux.

• I use mssql with opensuse 42.3 Leap in production. Works well, so you do not need to buy red hat license.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply