SQL Server 2016 DBA Training

• Hi people,

I've been working as a SQL developer for a number of years, with an increasing amount of DBA work alongside the day job.  As an accidental DBA I'd like to formalise my skills by doing some training - I'm looking at taking exams 70-764 /765 and just wondered if anyone knew of any good training available - I live just north of Portsmouth on the south coast of England and work in London - so anywhere in that area would be great or an online course would also work for me.  

Any suggestions ?

Regards
    Andy

• If you can afford it look at Firebrand, they are quite pricey but offer a great package, training, hotel, food, exams, training kits and they also offer a 12 month re-training package should you fail the exams.  It is a hard slog, your in the classroom around 12 hours a day training then extra doing labs and studying.

I have used them twice now for 2012 and 2016 training tracks and would highly recommend them.

There UK training centre is in Wyboston, unsure what that's like for you.

• For online courses I've found Learning Tree to be excellent. Courses are designed to help you prepare for the exam so do not include the cost of the exam itself.

Thanks

• I agree, I like Learning Tree courses (near Euston), especially if you get Gethyn Ellis as your trainer. (I think he may sometimes post here).

• I agree, I did my online course with Gethyn and he was excellent. The setup is very good for the online courses. The course material plus headset is mailed out to you and are part of the classroom and can participate in discussions even when sat at home.

Thanks

• Thanks for that - I'll take a look at them both πŸ™‚

• Have a look at QA too, they look to have some locations close to Portsmouth. I've done a few courses with them and they are good. I found their online course wasn't as well set up as Learning Tree.

Thanks

• Much cheaper and probably faster to download the Dev Edition of 2016 (it's free now) and buy the books on the two exams.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Beatrix Kiddo - Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:19 AM

I agree, I like Learning Tree courses (near Euston), especially if you get Gethyn Ellis as your trainer. (I think he may sometimes post here).

He does and occasionally publishes a blog post here too.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:42 PM

Much cheaper and probably faster to download the Dev Edition of 2016 (it's free now) and buy the books on the two exams.

That is my preferred method for trying to learn the new features etc.

I also would thrown in the mix to peruse the forums and try to solve the problems of other posters. It really helps to hone and sharpen the SQL Skills.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hi Jeff,

You say to get the books - But unless I'm going blind there aren't any books yet are there - Heppy to be proved wrong πŸ™‚

Cheers
    Andy

• Andy Reilly - Wednesday, March 8, 2017 3:19 AM

Hi Jeff,

You say to get the books - But unless I'm going blind there aren't any books yet are there - Heppy to be proved wrong πŸ™‚

Cheers
    Andy

Ugh!  You're right!  Even the bloody exams are in "beta".  If MS is going to pump out a new rev ever 2 years, they need to get up to speed on book AND exam offerings because, it seems, by the time you can get your hands on either, the next rev is in RTM. :Whistling:

Studying the previous version books (if they're available yet :Whistling: ) can get you there and then there's always "Books Online" (the help system for SQL Server that no longer comes with SQL Server and is a separate download) to help you on some of the features.  Still... the exams are in beta.  If you know how to use bit 137 of DBCC TIMEWARP, you might be able to beat that. πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• It makes you wonder - if training companies can get a course together you'd think Microsoft could sort out the books / exams - surely easier for them as they wrote it !

• NorthernSoul - Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:40 AM

Have a look at QA too, they look to have some locations close to Portsmouth. I've done a few courses with them and they are good. I found their online course wasn't as well set up as Learning Tree.

Thanks

Our entire team of DBA's and devs are sitting a two-day course with Mark from QA today and tomorrow, upping to 2016. Verdict after the course.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I recently took a 1 week bootcamp with Certification Camps in Sarasota, FL. All inclusive package including airfare, ground transportation, and testing. I recommend them, although being in the USA it s probably out of your range. 

Be aware that as of this time, 70-765 is live, but 70-764 is still in beta. I am waiting on the results for that one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply