SQL SERVER 2005 vs ORACLE 10G

• What ever done or said, No 1 can deny the fact that PL/SQL is more powerful language than T-SQL.

• In my opinion

Small Database SQL Server (less than say 50GB)

Huge Database Oracle (anything more than 50GB)

• It's not the size that matters, it's what you can do with it. 😀

• Andre Mair (1/10/2008)

In my opinion

Small Database SQL Server (less than say 50GB)

Huge Database Oracle (anything more than 50GB)

That is exactly the kind of statement I was addressing when I said people have out-dated 'knowledge' about SQL Server. Sorry Andre, but your statement is patently false. Even your ranges for small and huge are out of touch with the current reality. Heck, I have an 80GB database on my home desktop (which I used to test what happens when you actually do try to insert 2B+ identical values into a non-unique clustered index table)! 🙂 100-500GB databases are run-of-the-mill these days.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• What fun.

I have worked with both pretty extensively now, but for the past year, it has been almost exclusively SQL Server. Before that it was about 15 years of Oracle.

In general, I have found T-SQL to be an easier programming language over PL/SQL. I won't say better, but easier to accomplish what I needed to get done.

The biggest problem I had with T-SQL was converting my cursor based solutions to Set-based. Why do you ask? Well with Oracle, it's set based solutions are pretty cumbersome and slow. In SQL Server, using Cursors kills performance.

The size thing? I will say it was an issue at one time. The reason was always the optimizer for SQL Server tracked a lot of things and often better at finding the optimal plan (at a cost of finding that plan or tracking the needed info). For Oracle, it relied on you to find the plan and add hints to the code to ensure that it didn't do it wrong.

Today however, they have both taken the more info, better plans approach because the systems can handle it.

My suggestion is this. If you don't mind being tied to Microsoft for the operating system (and it's limitations) then get SQL Server. If this is an issue, then go with Oracle. However, with Oracle, as stated in one response Windows will probably be the last to get a patch.

I will end with this. While and Oracle DBA from Day 1, I got called after hours at least once a week because of some issue that broke the application.

With my current support of SQL Server, my off-site access was deemed as unnecessary. What is that worth to you DBA's out there? Oh, I have never needed to drive in either 🙂

• Did u any of u know this.

O - Object

R - Relational &

A - Analytical

C - Computing

L - Logical

E - Engine

• HEY!! I bet we can have some fun with this. Let me start it off:

O - Obtuse

R - Repugnant

A - Arcane

C - Costly

L - Lexical

E - Executer

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• That's very creative.......sounds cool too....:):D:):D

Hope there r no die hard oracle fans out here......he he....

• Jeff Moden (1/5/2008)

Jeez... where do I start...

With the first fundamental fact - don't think that all DBMSes are (or should be) the same. If one knows well one particular DBMS and tries to blindly enforce the same rules and use the same techniques for the product of other vendor that will lead to disaster. Adapt to each new DB and understand that they are different and different techniques should be used. Only then one can get the most out of the particular DBMS and minimize the spent $$$, which normally is the ultimate goal of any business.

Gints Plivna

http://www.gplivna.eu

• Heh... ye think? 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply