SQL DBA Needed in OH

• Growing company in Cleveland requires a SQL Server DBA with the following for a contract to hire position:

·Monitor system for normal operations including database availability, performance tuning, indexing, data and error checking and error handling.

·Recommend upgrades to maintain reliability and performance.

·Daily administration of database event logs.

·Follow system management standards and procedures including naming conventions and directory structures, local and remote access rights, server and client software.

·Perform day-to-day database administration activities to ensure integrity, security and availability of production and development environments.

·Adhere to standard change control procedures across production and development environments.

·Make recommendations to improve database and application design standards that will increase performance, reliability, and ease of administration.

·Work closely with senior database staff in support of project deliverables.

·Responsible for database access security in adherence with security policies.

·Requires a four-year degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience.

·Candidates must have 5+ years of experience working as a DBA in a software development team responsible for maintaining a Microsoft SQL server environment, data schemas and writing stored procedures.

·DB2 UDB for iSeries experience a plus.

·Skills in data aggregation using SSIS; experience with ETL applications.

·SQL 2000 / 2005 replication and knowledge of high availability environments a plus.

·Able to work flexible schedules including 3rd shift rotation.

Send resumes to holly@profsearchgroup.com

• I send you my Cv on holly@profsearchgroup.com please have look...

• Dealertire is the company and they will burn you out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Twin-soft.com SME (4/20/2011)

Dealertire is the company and they will burn you out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Errr, welcome to IT. That's why you reverse interview about expectations. 🙂

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• True, but I just want people to know what they are getting into before deciding on this particular company! I work there just over an year plus the 3 month contract to hire deal! Yes they are growing but their database operations are out dated and they have not invested the time to update their systems. Also they are quick to blame the DBA when issues arrise! The Data Architect and Database Developers need to get off their butts and do something soon!!!

• This is sure to attract interest: "3rd shift rotation"

• Michael Valentine Jones (4/20/2011)

This is sure to attract interest: "3rd shift rotation"

Actually, that part attracted me. Instead of some poor schlep working all day then being on call, you actually just work the third shift. I've been clamoring for years for a shop to do something like that.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

Dealertire is the company ...

How do you know which company it's for?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Craig Farrell (4/20/2011)

Michael Valentine Jones (4/20/2011)

Actually, that part attracted me. Instead of some poor schlep working all day then being on call, you actually just work the third shift. I've been clamoring for years for a shop to do something like that.

I wouldn't just assume that what they mean by "Able to work flexible schedules including 3rd shift rotation" doesn't really mean, "work all day and then all night if we need you to"

I think that there was a recent Dilbert cartoon about the evil HR guy saying they were getting away from the term "work-life balance" because that implied that you had a life to balance with work, and using "work-life integration" to emphasize that work was your life.

• I have been contacted by a recruiter!

• Michael Valentine Jones (4/20/2011)

Craig Farrell (4/20/2011)

Michael Valentine Jones (4/20/2011)

I wouldn't just assume that what they mean by "Able to work flexible schedules including 3rd shift rotation" doesn't really mean, "work all day and then all night if we need you to"

Err, I'm not sure which of us isn't reading the other correctly. I've been at shops where third shift was covered by on-call requirements, which is most of them. Having actual on-staff, in-office DBA as his 'normal working hours' for covering a third shift is preferable in my mind, which is what I read them as wanting ppl to do.

If I did read you correctly meaning you're reading it as "Needing someone to work 24 hours as necessary due to really bad planning", that's usually phrased differently. Usually something along the lines of "Dedication to project timelines and having a strong work ethic".

- Craig Farrell

I have been contacted by a recruiter!

By the company you were warning people away from?

- Craig Farrell

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply