SQL Agent job monitoring.

• I currently use Idera's free tool SQL Job Manager to view the outcome of sql server agent jobs run on all of my servers. I really like this tool as it shows the sucess of failure of all of my jobs in one place. However, it has not been working lately and since it is a free tool, support is limited. Does anyone use any other tools (preferably free) that monitor the sql agent job outcomes?

• i forgot the table names, but all the data is in msdb. you can write a few scripts to get the data. my new toy reporting services and if you have enterprise edition you can just set up a subscription to run daily and email you the report. i'm starting to do this since they look very nice on the iphone and very easy to read on the way to work

• Thanks for the information. I will look into that as another option, but still looking for something that I can just open up and vew all of my jobs in one place (or get one report with all jobs from all servers).

• An easy method I use is to set jobs to send success and failure e-mails depending on if the job fails. I do not worry too much about having to put detail into the body of the e-mail, because if it is a failure, I will want to manually check out the history of the job anyway to find out exactly what went wrong.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• rlondon (11/9/2009)

Thanks for the information. I will look into that as another option, but still looking for something that I can just open up and vew all of my jobs in one place (or get one report with all jobs from all servers).

One option is a master job server. A master job server was not an option for me, so I created an SSIS package that will import job info and status into a central DB from each of the DB Servers. From there I can run an SSRS report to show the status of the jobs.

The tables to look are sysjobactivity, sysjobhistory, sysjobs, sysjobsteps as a primer for your needs.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/9/2009)

rlondon (11/9/2009)

Thanks for the information. I will look into that as another option, but still looking for something that I can just open up and vew all of my jobs in one place (or get one report with all jobs from all servers).

One option is a master job server. A master job server was not an option for me, so I created an SSIS package that will import job info and status into a central DB from each of the DB Servers. From there I can run an SSRS report to show the status of the jobs.

The tables to look are sysjobactivity, sysjobhistory, sysjobs, sysjobsteps as a primer for your needs.

Thanks, this is something I think will give me what I am looking for. I will give it a try.

• I'm using the SQL overview package. It helps you to monitor your jobs, your logs and a lot of things that are very useful. Then I use reporting services to display all this info. It is very handy.

Check the link: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Integration+Services+(SSIS)/61774/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply