sp_runwebtask error after migration from SQL Server 2000

• Unfortunately I am required to migrate and old database from SQL Server version 2000 up to 2017. The first step I have taken is to migrate to 2008. Apparently everything is good, except for one table, on insert will throw an error could not find stored procedure sp_runwebtask.

The offending table was created using good (bad?) old MS Access 2003 .adp project.... now there are a lot of topics on this SP dropped since v 2008, hower I wonder why it is called upon row insertion.....

Other tables in the database allow insertions with no problem. I thought this problem was caused by MS Access 2003 adp problem, as for incompatibility with 2008, however, the error is thrown also when attempting to insert a row in table using other recent tools.

Could it be some strange table property invoking this stored procedure?

• Apparently there is a trigger the table calling sp_runwebtask.

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

• You can find what procs and triggers are calling it with a search such as:

SELECT s.name AS schema_name, o.name AS object_name, o.type_desc
    FROM sys.objects o
    INNER JOIN sys.sql_modules m ON o.object_id = m.object_id
    INNER JOIN sys.schemas s ON o.schema_id = s.schema_id
    WHERE m.definition like '%sp_makewebtask%'
    ORDER BY o.type_desc, s.name, o.name;
  • Erland Sommarskog wrote:

Apparently there is a trigger the table calling sp_runwebtask.

Yes! 3 bloody triggers where set for that table. Deleted them fixed the problem!! Thanks!

• Chris Harshman wrote:

You can find what procs and triggers are calling it with a search such as:

SELECT s.name AS schema_name, o.name AS object_name, o.type_desc
    FROM sys.objects o
    INNER JOIN sys.sql_modules m ON o.object_id = m.object_id
    INNER JOIN sys.schemas s ON o.schema_id = s.schema_id
    WHERE m.definition like '%sp_makewebtask%'
    ORDER BY o.type_desc, s.name, o.name;

Thanks Chris, I have fixed the problem deleting the triggers, but the query wasn't returning any result before deleting the triggers. Only concern is I was running the query remotely, not with SSMS but a compatible tool.... could it be the problem?

• I would guess that the reason that the query came back empty-handed is that Chris put in the name of the wrong stored procedure in his query...

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

• Now you

IdolR wrote:

Erland Sommarskog wrote:

Apparently there is a trigger the table calling sp_runwebtask.

Yes! 3 bloody triggers where set for that table. Deleted them fixed the problem!! Thanks!

Do you know what the triggers actually did and how their absence may adversely affect the the system you're trying to migrate?  Or did you just drop them?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I have just dropped them. I believe the triggers had been created just for experimenting. Will dig further on tomorrow and post my findings.

• Ok, I have finally inspected the table. 3 triggers where being called, each one executing sp_runwebtask.

Thanks a lot for helping!!! 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply