sp_executesql quirk/question

• I am having a few issues properly passing my parameters to sp_executesql. I have a loop that goes through my server and retrieves into a variable @dbname the name of each database. This part is working as I had the following:

declare @dbname nvarchar(128)

declare @sqlstring nvarchar(1000)

select @sqlstring = N'select @db'

execute sp_executesql @sqlstring, N'@db nvarchar(128)', @dbname

And I get the output as master, tempdb, msdb, etc.

However when I change @sqlstring to the following: select @sqlstring = N'select @db..sysindexes'

I get an incorrect syntax warning.

I've tried various versions of using [] and ', '', and ''' around @db but to no avail. I know the databasename is being passed so how do I extract it? This script used to work in an execute @sqlstring statement. If in this case, I do the following:

select @sqlstring = N'select ' + @dbname ''

execute sp_executesql @sqlstring

I get no benefit from sp_executesql vs. execute.

Help me Obiwan Kenobi, you're my only hope. 🙂

Gaby Abed

Gaby________________________________________________________________"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

• Gaby Abed (7/2/2008)

However when I change @sqlstring to the following: select @sqlstring = N'select @db..sysindexes'

you need to concatenate the value of the variable into the string. This should more-or-less get you what you want.

select @sqlstring = N'select ' + @db + '..sysindexes'

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hmmm...that gave me an error, the reason being that @db only exists in the context of @sqlstring so when I build it outside, I get those errors.

On another note, here's something I tried that works, but is quite convoluted:

set @sqlstring =

'declare @minisql nvarchar(100);

set @minisql = ''select * from ''+@db+''..sysindexes'';

execute(@minisql)'

This way DOES work, although running a direct execute within an sp_executesql seems pointless, I guess it still gives me more control over what variables are passed (such as @dbname).

Thanks for the reply and help. 🙂

Gaby________________________________________________________________"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

• Cuold you post all the code please. Including where @db coems from?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Gail, here's the original code. It's totally different from the first example I gave except the sp_executesql part.

set @ctr = 1

while @ctr <= @numdb

begin

select @dbname = dbname from @names where id = @ctr

select @sqlstring =

'declare @minisql nvarchar(3000);

select @minisql = ''insert ##idx_results select ind.dbnm, fl.dblog, fl.dbdata, ind.total_reserved, ind.total_used, ind.total_data

from (

select '''''' +@db+ '''''' dbnm,sum(reserved) total_reserved, sum(used) total_used, sum(dpages) total_data

from ['' +@db+ '']..sysindexes (nolock) where indid in (0, 1, 255)

) ind

inner join (

select '''''' +@db+ '''''' dbnm,

sum(case when groupid = 0 then size else 0 end) dblog,

sum(case when groupid <> 0 then size else 0 end) dbdata

from ['' +@db+ '']..sysfiles

) fl on (ind.dbnm=fl.dbnm);''

execute (@minisql);'

set @ctr = @ctr + 1

end

In this example, @names is a table variable that has been populated with all the names of my databases. It fills my @sqlstring with a @minisql string, executing the @minisql inside the sp_executesql. As for the single quotes, they parse in this context fortunately, numerous as they may be.

Thanks.

Gaby

• Ok. There's no real gain from passing the db name into the sp_executesql, as it can't be used directly as a variable (as you've seen) This simplifies things a bit

set @ctr = 1

while @ctr <= @numdb

begin

select @dbname = dbname from @names where id = @ctr

select @sqlstring = '

insert ##idx_results

select ind.dbnm, fl.dblog, fl.dbdata, ind.total_reserved, ind.total_used, ind.total_data

from (

select ''' + @dbname + ''' AS dbnm,sum(reserved) total_reserved, sum(used) total_used, sum(dpages) total_data

from [' + @dbname + ']..sysindexes (nolock) where indid in (0, 1, 255)

) ind

inner join (

select ''' + @dbname + ''' AS dbnm,

sum(case when groupid = 0 then size else 0 end) dblog,

sum(case when groupid <> 0 then size else 0 end) dbdata

from [' + @dbname + ']..sysfiles ) fl on (ind.dbnm=fl.dbnm) ; '

--PRINT @sqlstring

exec sp_executesql @sqlstring

set @ctr = @ctr + 1

end

Gail Shaw

• Thanks very much, that helped quite a bit.

Gaby

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply