Solving Real Problems

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Solving Real Problems

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Containers are your friend in facilitating a isolated database development. Our db devs can now stand up an isolated environment with the latest production schema consisting of multiple SQL instances hosting many databases with linked servers and cross-database queries. Getting this far required a lot of investment in CI/CD processes and tooling but it has paid off with more frequent production releases of high quality. That being said, like just about everyone else, we still have a long way to go (e.g. onboarding PostgreSQL and Oracle) on our CI/CD journey.

We are lucky to have support from management (i.e. $$$) to invest in the needed time, tools, and infrastructure. Reality kicks in when one doesn't have the time, budget, or challenged by technology constraints. It's ultimately a business decision as to whether overcoming these obstacles are worth the improved quality and delivery speed.

• Hmmm. Tough truth to take. I strive for perfection and have a hard time when others are satisfied with doing what you must do, given the circumstances. The reason for that is because I've found, where I currently work, that they're so used to putting up with what you have to, they long ago gave up trying to find any other way of doing the job/task. And in fact, there's a lot of resistance to even try when the opportunity and conditions change so they can more towards best practice.

Grant, I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm say that settling for what's necessary today due to the realities you are in, may prevent you from ever wanting to do better tomorrow even when you gain the tools to do better tomorrow.

Rod

• From the article...

Extended Events, just for example, is wildly superior to Profiler/Trace.

Heh... NOT! 😀  But we'll save that discussion for another time.

I agree with a whole lot that you've stated.  I've found, however, that people have the damnedest time correctly identifying the "real problems" and end up identifying and trying to solve symptoms of real problems rather than the problems themselves.  Actually, the arguments about Extended Events v.s. Profile/Trace are a pretty good example of that.  Both can do "the job" but I think that, way too often and despite the advantages of either, people end up using one or the other tool to look for the wrong stuff.  They keep looking for symptoms rather than the real problems and even Extended Events can cause a drain on the system because of the way and what people end up using it for.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply