Soft Skills: Controlling your career

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Soft Skills: Controlling your career

• Great article, and i'm glad you enjoy contributing to the site, it has certainly helped myself as well

one of my previous employers put every new employee through a "consultancy and communication course"

i learned about something called the disc model

https://discpersonalitytesting.com/blog/what-is-the-disc-model/

basically it explains how to identify different personality types and which words not to use to each type

for example a D type personality you use "absolutely, definatly" but never Maybe

you can spot a C type by the way they move when they avoid an advert on  the pavement and then change your use of words to influence them

My favourites are the I category, they are influencers and usually salesmen... i've found that the word "if" comes into play with these people.. "i can get that done for you in 3 weeks IF you give me 3 more people", they like solutions not obstacles - anything to close a deal

It's a great soft skill in IT to be able to communicate based on the personality of the different people in your team.

MVDBA

• Hi David - you say:

'As an Aspie I communicate more fluently in writing than I would ever manage do face to face. '

Had to look that up, so that was a bit of a contradiction.

• paul s-306273 wrote:

Hi David - you say:

'As an Aspie I communicate more fluently in writing than I would ever manage do face to face. '

Had to look that up, so that was a bit of a contradiction.

It was in the 1st paragraph

• I'm an Aspie too, so I can kind of see where David is coming from. talking to "paper" or typing on a computer might be easier because there's so much that you can tune out that's distracting or overstimulating. I could work like a maniac in pitch dark in the middle of the night because there were much fewer external stimuli screaming for my attention. And putting words on paper gives me a chance to stop and think about what I'm saying before opening my mouth.

• Great post. I totally agree that soft skills is like having a form of insurance. With regards to consistently practicing my presentation skills, my toastmaster club helps me to present and get a feedback in a friendly environment that boosts my morale. For those who may not be familiar with Toastmasters - http://www.toastmasters.org  it is an international not for profit org that helps it members develop leadership and communication skills across the world using a self paced curriculum.

• This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Nice article it also comes in handy while talking about critical stuff like CTC and all.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply