Snapshots

• SanDroid (7/19/2012)

😛 Revert from a snapshot and Database Restore from a snapshot are two differant things covered by two differant BOL articles. 😛

What is the difference?

As far as I understand there is a RESTORE command that among other things can “Revert a database to the point in time captured by a database snapshot”.

What two things? What am I missing?

--Vadim R.

• rVadim (7/19/2012)

SanDroid (7/19/2012)

😛 Revert from a snapshot and Database Restore from a snapshot are two differant things covered by two differant BOL articles. 😛

What is the difference?

What two things? What am I missing?

My Gorgian sophist attitude is a start... 😉 :hehe: 😎

• As I stated earlier, I over thought the question. I actually accept that I got it wrong. I just also stated that it was still possible to revert (restore) to any of the snapshots by just deleting the ones you don't want.

Could it have been worded differently to avoid ambiguity, yes. Question is though, how often do our jobs have unambiguous events occur? We work in an environment where ambiguity is the norm.

• I agreed! We can choose any one of the snapshots to restore! It really sounds like a trick question because the focus point is on whether it is valid to restore from any of the snapshots.

Therefore, to avoid confusion, "without removing the other snapshots" or "removing all other snapshots" should be included in the choice answer, similar to that of choice three.

palotaiarpad (7/19/2012)

I'm not agree with the "right" answer. I can revert to any undamaged snapshot:

Step 1: delete all other snapshot

Step 2: revert to the selected

The answer would be right only with the condition: "without removing the snapshots"

• Grrr! The answer is clearly Yes since it is possible to restore from a snapshot (which is the question). Even if there are multiple snapshots. The only caveat is that you have to drop all snapshots but the snapshot you want to restore from.

It makes me want to stop answering questions because of these curve balls! You never know if you should take an answer literally or if you can allow for caveats.

Cheers.

• Chad Crawford (7/19/2012)

I, like Luis, assumed that the reason the additional snapshots were part of the question was to direct the reader to the correct answer. That being said, I also have empathy for those who took the wording as it was stated and picked a different answer even though they completely understood the technology and situation, just misinterpreted the intention because it wasn't clear to them. There have been many times where I've looked at a QOD, seen that it could go two ways and struggled to try and guess the intent. I'm still happy to have the QOD every day regardless of whether I get it right or not and regardless of whether I feel the question was well written or not. Thank you Igor for taking the time to draw up a question, work through it, and get it published. I've done it before and it's not easy. I'm glad you did it!

Thanks,

Chad

+1 (never done it before, but I certainly can imagine what it can be. thanks again)

• +1

• vk-kirov (7/19/2012)

Weird logic. I don't understand how the answer could be "No", while in fact the database can be restored from any of the snapshots (although not with a single RESTORE DATABASE command). Seems to be pure sophistry.

You can't revert to a snapshot while there are multiple snapshots. The fact that you can delete all but one of them and then revert to that one doesn't nake you able to revert to that snapshot while you have multiple snapshots. That's not sophistry, it's just common sense.

Tom

• I agree with palotaiarpad

• Lynn Pettis (7/19/2012)

Good question. I over thought and picked the wrong answer. Yes, you can restore the database from any of the snapshots, you just have to delete all but the one you want to restore from before you can.

It was a trick question. I knew I could restore from any of the snapshots, but I had to delete all the others first.

/Håkan Winther
    MCITP:Database Developer 2008
    MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
    MCSE: Data Platform

• L' Eomot Inversé (7/25/2012)

vk-kirov (7/19/2012)

Weird logic. I don't understand how the answer could be "No", while in fact the database can be restored from any of the snapshots (although not with a single RESTORE DATABASE command). Seems to be pure sophistry.

You can't revert to a snapshot while there are multiple snapshots. The fact that you can delete all but one of them and then revert to that one doesn't nake you able to revert to that snapshot while you have multiple snapshots. That's not sophistry, it's just common sense.

It is common sense.

Which is also why the question is sophistry or Gorgian.

Applying that common sense rule when answering the question makes you choose the wrong answer.

Although I have heard that when taking the latest DB tests for M$ certs you should not use this common sense. 😎

• Good One.!

• Easy one,thanx

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris

• I marked the wrong answer. :w00t:

• Argh!.

Returning to some old questions, I thought I would just check out this one.

I were hazy on what I could do with snapshots, so I ended up on the referenced page and read the section "How to Revert a Database to a Database Snapshot (Using Transact-SQL)".

And Lo and behold. Reading step one I could see that I could restore any snapshot. Step two told me that a prerequisite were that I removed the rest of the snapshots. So I got it wrong 🙁

But thanks anyway. I just learned something new.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply