Snapshots

• I got it right, but only because of my ignorance: for me, a snapshot is a picture of the DB at a precise time, and was not suppose to be used to do a restore.

Good question. Learn something (not to do restore from snapshot, but the possibility to do it in special occasion)!

Thanks!

• Thanks for the question. However, the question says CAN you restore from any of the snapshots. If I say that it is possible to restore from ANY of the snapshots, that statement is true. So the answer to the question is YES. Any other answer or explanation requires the answerer to jump through unnecessary hoops.

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (7/19/2012)

anthony.green (7/19/2012)

I also read it as being Yes as the question didnt specify needing to delete or not delete the other snapshots, so in theory Yes I can revert to any of the snapshots.

+1

Just need to delete all the other snapshots that exist before doing the restore...

Very tricksy, my precious...

+1

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• bitbucket-25253 (7/19/2012)

Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (7/19/2012)

anthony.green (7/19/2012)

I also read it as being Yes as the question didnt specify needing to delete or not delete the other snapshots, so in theory Yes I can revert to any of the snapshots.

+1

Just need to delete all the other snapshots that exist before doing the restore...

Very tricksy, my precious...

+1

Agreed. I knew that you had to delete the other snapshots before restoring, but I also knew that you can delete the other snapshots and then restore. While the principle of the question is a good idea, its vagueness leads to two potential correct answers.

Since the question asks if you can restore and doesn't specifically impose any restrictions on how you go about restoring, the literal interpretation of the question as written would properly be answered "Yes, by deleting the other snapshots and then restoring."

As written, the answer is wrong.

• I'm guessing this is an exercise in semantics. A SQL server class I took last year stated that a snapshot is only for "reverting" to a given point in time. A "restore" is from a backup only.

• tilew-948340 (7/19/2012)

I got it right, but only because of my ignorance: for me, a snapshot is a picture of the DB at a precise time, and was not suppose to be used to do a restore.

Good question. Learn something (not to do restore from snapshot, but the possibility to do it in special occasion)!

Thanks!

As i put in my message - i would call it a revert.

Microsoft do:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189281.aspx

That way you know your not restoring, but actually just setting the data back to as it was when the snapshot was taken.

• OCTom (7/19/2012)

I'm guessing this is an exercise in semantics. A SQL server class I took last year stated that a snapshot is only for "reverting" to a given point in time. A "restore" is from a backup only.

I agree - however the confusing element is you still use the restore command.

• palotaiarpad (7/19/2012)

I'm not agree with the "right" answer. I can revert to any undamaged snapshot:

Step 1: delete all other snapshot

Step 2: revert to the selected

The answer would be right only with the condition: "without removing the snapshots"

+1

• anthony.green (7/19/2012)

+1

• Grr... I knew I was going to get this one wrong. I knew you could only revert if there is only on snapshot, but it is possible to restore to any one of the snapshots by picking the one you want to revert to and dropping the others first.

• Why is everyone so upset about the answer? It's clear that the question is if you can restore the database without deleting the other snapshots. Otherwise you wouldn't have multiple snapshots and the scenario won't be the same.

It's like if someone asked: "Can I restore a database if I don't have a valid backup?"

And you answered: "Yes, you just need to create a backup from which you want to restore".

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (7/19/2012)

Why is everyone so upset about the answer? It's clear that the question is if you can restore the database without deleting the other snapshots. Otherwise you wouldn't have multiple snapshots and the scenario won't be the same.

It's like if someone asked: "Can I restore a database if I don't have a valid backup?"

And you answered: "Yes, you just need to create a backup from which you want to restore".

I completely disagree. The question never states that you do or do not delete or keep anything. It literally asked if you could restore from any of them, of which the answer is yes with the caveat of the rest must be dropped. It's not like your scenario at all. In this scenario we have multiple valid points of which to start, in yours we don't.

• Another day, another wrong answer. But now I know a little bit more about restoring database options 😀

Thanks!

• tks for the question - cheers

• Luis Cazares (7/19/2012)

Why is everyone so upset about the answer? It's clear that the question is if you can restore the database without deleting the other snapshots. Otherwise you wouldn't have multiple snapshots and the scenario won't be the same.

+1

(bow)

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply