Show MVP Status on forum posts

• One problem new posters face is knowing how good is the advice they are getting. The idea of rating forum posters has already been raised, and I think that is something worh implementing.

I think also that it would be good to specifically show that a post has come from a MVP.

I suggest that for a MVP, the standard MVP logo is shown below the person's avatar, and below that a hyperlink titled 'What is a MVP' that opens a page explaining what MVP status means.

This would show to new users to SQLServerCentral that advice given by an MVP is potentially correct and they should take notice of what is said. The presence of the logo also shows respect from the community to MVP holders.

Setting the MVP flag on the person's profile is possibly something that should be done centrally, rather than allow anyone to claim MVP status.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop HΓ©lder CΓ’mara

• Ed,

We are talking about having a few other "badges" that we can apply to someone's account. For now I'd say they could add it (with a link to their profile on the MVP site) in their sig.

One other thing, MVP isn't technical knowledge. That should come into play, but it's a community contribution award.

• In addition, not all MVP's are equal. We have seen solutions from MVP's that were not the best, and were actually of questionable value. It should be up the MVP's to indicate this status voluntarily, not by requirement.

There are several MVP's on SSC that don't advertise the fact, and they don't need to as their work talks for them.

Edit:

I'm not an MVP, and I think that there are several MVP's out there that will tell you that, for the most part, my responses to help are quite valid.

• EdVassie (4/8/2009)

This would show to new users to SQLServerCentral that advice given by an MVP is potentially correct and they should take notice of what is said.

Heh. I hope someday I can be an MVP too so that my answers will also be "potentially correct". It's just so hard to keep answering questions knowing that my answers are not potentially correct. πŸ™‚

The presence of the logo also shows respect from the community to MVP holders.

I suggest that we show our respect to MVPs with goosestepping and mandatory stormtrooper salutes. πŸ˜€

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (4/8/2009)

EdVassie (4/8/2009)

This would show to new users to SQLServerCentral that advice given by an MVP is potentially correct and they should take notice of what is said.

Heh. I hope someday I can be an MVP too so that my answers will also be "potentially correct". It's just so hard to keep answering questions knowing that my answers are not potentially correct. πŸ™‚

I suggest that we show our respect to MVPs with goosestepping and mandatory stormtrooper salutes. πŸ˜€

Well met, Barry! I agree whole heartily!

• Lynn Pettis (4/9/2009)

RBarryYoung (4/8/2009)

EdVassie (4/8/2009)

Well met, Barry! I agree whole heartily!

Heh. A little "Empire" background music would be nice too... πŸ˜›

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• duh duh duh - duh duh duh duh duh duh ...

Hmmmmm ....

Just doesn't seem to work that way.

Here, this'll be better! (Attached)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (4/9/2009)

duh duh duh - duh duh duh duh duh duh ...

Hmmmmm ....

That was perfect!

• GSquared (4/9/2009)

I got that right away, hmmm, what does that say about me?

My kids wanted to listen to the Titantic soundtrack on the way home last night after karate. Soft, soothing, they like it. I kept thinking if I had a soundtrack, I think I'd want Star Wars (the original)

• On-topic, I have to say, I think it should be up to the MVPs to decide whether or not to add something to their avatar and/or sig, rather than forcing Steve to keep up with all of that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/9/2009)

GSquared (4/9/2009)

I got that right away, hmmm, what does that say about me?

My kids wanted to listen to the Titantic soundtrack on the way home last night after karate. Soft, soothing, they like it. I kept thinking if I had a soundtrack, I think I'd want Star Wars (the original)

Time for another Star Wars Theme Day, perhaps?!?!

• Or an itunes trip πŸ™‚

• The quality of a response depends on what you say, not who you are.

This is a discussion board, not a place to receive pronouncements from on high. The value is in being able to read what everyone says, apply you brain to that info, and decide for yourself if you are getting good information. You may have noticed on other threads that people here have no problem telling an MVP they are wrong when they are wrong.

If people want to post their MVP status or any other information about themselves, that should be voluntary.

• GSquared (4/9/2009)

Hmmmmm ....

BWAWAHAHA!!! :laugh:

[/font]

• I'm not an MVP, and I couldn't really tell you what it takes to become one. But I know from my years working at Microsoft that Microsoft takes the MVP status very seriously and they place a very high importance on their MVP's.

I know a lot of MVP's who are now Microsoft employees, and I definitely value the input of every MVP I work with. i'm not saying that every MVP is brilliant or always right, but I've certainly been impressed by the ones I know.

In fact one of the MVP/MSFT employees that I know is going to be one of the technical reviewers of my book. That's how much I respect his opinion.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply