Select from String

• I need to select only a part of a text string....

I have the following 3 rows...

Provider PraNum="3802078" Funder DisplayName="Health" MemMAPlan="41807" Industry RefId 0901070749026822a6f28a RefId

Provider PraNum="3804917" Funder DisplayName="Second" emMA="28223" Industry RefId0901062356255634nv4nkt RefId

Provider PraNum="3802078" Funder DisplayName="BEST" MemMA="41807" Industry RefId 090107002846839na1e62m RefId

I need to SELECT everything between the two words 'Funder' & 'Industry'

IE my results must be:

DisplayName="Health" MemMAPlan="41807"/> </

DisplayName="Second" MemMA="28223"/> </

DisplayName="BEST" MemMA="41807"/> </

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

• You can make use of String function CHARINDEX along with SUBSTRING

-Vikas Bindra

• This is what I did but it returns more than what I need...

SELECT SUBSTRING(routingheader, charindex('funder',routingheader), charindex('funder',routingheader)) AS ROUTINGHEADER

• This is what I used but it returns everything AFTER the word Industry as well..

SELECT SUBSTRING(routingheader, charindex('funder',routingheader), charindex('industry',routingheader)) AS ROUTINGHEADER

All I need is what is between the two words: funder and industry

• Just a little modification in the query....

Note:

This code assumes that there exists values "Funder" & "Industry" in the column. Otherwise, you have to manually handle those exceptions by filtering it out.

SELECTCHARINDEX( 'Funder', routingheader ),

CHARINDEX( 'Industry', routingheader ),

SUBSTRING( routingheader, CHARINDEX( 'Funder', routingheader ) + LEN( 'Funder' ),

CHARINDEX( 'Industry', routingheader ) - CHARINDEX( 'Funder', routingheader )

- LEN( 'Funder' ) ) AS ROUTINGHEADER

FROM

(

SELECT 'Provider PraNum="3802078" Funder DisplayName="Health" MemMAPlan="41807" Industry RefId 0901070749026822a6f28a RefId' AS routingheader

UNION ALL

SELECT 'Provider PraNum="3804917" Funder DisplayName="Second" emMA="28223" Industry RefId0901062356255634nv4nkt RefId' AS routingheader

UNION ALL

SELECT 'Provider PraNum="3802078" Funder DisplayName="BEST" MemMA="41807" Industry RefId 090107002846839na1e62m RefId' AS routingheader

) R

--Ramesh

• Terence Keys (1/14/2009)

This is what I used but it returns everything AFTER the word Industry as well..

SELECT SUBSTRING(routingheader, charindex('funder',routingheader), charindex('industry',routingheader)) AS ROUTINGHEADER

All I need is what is between the two words: funder and industry

Good start, Terence, but it's a little more complex than that. Run the following piece of code and you will see why.

DECLARE @routingheader VARCHAR(200)

SET @routingheader = 'Provider PraNum="3802078" Funder DisplayName="Health" MemMAPlan="41807" Industry RefId 0901070749026822a6f28a RefId'

SELECT @routingheader,

MatchValue = SUBSTRING(@routingheader, 34, 38),

Startpos = charindex('funder',@routingheader)+LEN('funder ')+1,

Length = charindex('industry',@routingheader) - (charindex('funder',@routingheader)+LEN('funder ')+2),

SUBSTRING(@routingheader, charindex('funder',@routingheader)+LEN('funder ')+1,

charindex('industry',@routingheader) - (charindex('funder',@routingheader)+LEN('funder ')+2))

Cheers

ChrisM

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Thanks for the help!

• SELECT CHARINDEX( 'Funder', routingheader ),

SUBSTRING( routingheader, CHARINDEX( 'Funder', routingheader ) + LEN( 'Funder' ),

FROM

(

SELECT 'Provider PraNum="3802078" Funder DisplayName="Health" MemMAPlan="41807" Industry RefId 0901070749026822a6f28a RefId' AS routingheader

UNION ALL

SELECT 'Provider PraNum="3804917" Funder DisplayName="Second" emMA="28223" Industry RefId0901062356255634nv4nkt RefId' AS routingheader

UNION ALL

SELECT 'Provider PraNum="3802078" Funder DisplayName="BEST" MemMA="41807" Industry RefId 090107002846839na1e62m RefId' AS routingheader

) R

A little modification in Ramesh's code...

SELECT CHARINDEX( 'Funder', routingheader ),

SUBSTRING( routingheader, CHARINDEX( 'DisplayName', routingheader)

karthik

• Terence Keys (1/14/2009)

Thanks for the help!

So, what did your final code end up looking like?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks for all the help!! you pointed

me in the right direction with the substring and charindex..

The following code worked for me...

DECLARE eRA_Report CURSOR FOR

SELECT originalmessageid

FROM AM

WHERE Messagetype = 'Normal/Remittanceadv' AND RecipientAddress LIKE '%PRO027%' AND Timestamp BETWEEN @StartDate AND @EndDate

--and originalmessageid in ('090112123227693mec1xtk')

OPEN eRA_Report

FETCH NEXT FROM eRA_Report INTO @originalmessageid

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SET @substring_input_2 = (SELECT CHARINDEX('DisplayName="', routingheader) from am where originalmessageid = @originalmessageid)

SET @substring_input_3 = (select CHARINDEX(' ', routingheader) from am where originalmessageid = @originalmessageid)

SET @substring_input_3 = @substring_input_3 - @substring_input_2 + 9

SET @substring_input_2 = @substring_input_2 - 9

SET @routingheader = (select substring(routingheader,@substring_input_2,@substring_input_3) from am where originalmessageid = @originalmessageid)

SET @substring_input_3 = null

SET @substring_input_2 = null

INSERT INTO eRA_TEMP_Table (ORIGINALMESSAGEID, REFERENCEMESSAGEID, TIMESTAMP, MESSAGETYPE, SENDER, RECIPIENTADDRESS, OBO, QUANTITY, TRANSACTIONNUMBER, PRIORITY, COMPRESSION, SECURITY,RoutingHeader)

SELECT ORIGINALMESSAGEID, REFERENCEMESSAGEID, TIMESTAMP, MESSAGETYPE, SENDER, RECIPIENTADDRESS, OBO, QUANTITY, TRANSACTIONNUMBER, PRIORITY, COMPRESSION, SECURITY, @RoutingHeader as 'RoutingHeader'

FROM AM

WHERE originalmessageid = @originalmessageid

SET @routingheader = null

FETCH NEXT FROM eRA_Report INTO @originalmessageid

END

• Oh dear... thanks for sharing, but why on Earth did you use a cursor? That's gonna slow it down, alot!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• It does run longer yes.. but it's a very small db and the report only runs once a week..

Thanks again for the help!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply